Married In Thailand, Divorced In Another Country. Would You Need To Divorce In Thailand Too?

rainman

No, this isn't one of those "I have a friend that.." posts. But I really do have a friend who's currently in a divorce and I'm seeking some advice for him. He got married in Thailand a few years ago, on the Amphur in Bangkok. Then moved to Switzerland with his wife and registered the marriage there with the government. Now they're getting divorced in Switzerland. Does he need to get divorced in Thailand as well? I can't imagine Switzerland sending the documents to Thailand to update the status from married to divorced ..and much less can I imagine Thailand accepting documents issued in Switzerland stating the divorce.

I would imagine that they both need to come to Thailand and get divorced here again for the marriage to be completely void? And no, it's not me, it's really for a friend.

:)

Can your friend have the divorce decree authenticated by the Swiss government? In what language is the divorce decree, French, English? His ex-wife can take an English version and have it authenticated at the Thai embassy in Switzerland. I don't think both of them have to go to Thailand to get a divorce.

Can your friend have the divorce decree authenticated by the Swiss government? In what language is the divorce decree, French, English? His ex-wife can take an English version and have it authenticated at the Thai embassy in Switzerland. I don't think both of them have to go to Thailand to get a divorce.

I am quite sure, that they both have to come to Thailand to register the divorce. The Thai authorities don't care if they are divorced or not in an other country, that means nothing to them.

Edited by bellste