Computer Software

Backyardburt

OEM licenses are sold with hardware. doesn't need to be installed, just needs to be sold with hardware. the hardware can be a cpu and some hdd's, doesn't have to be a whole build system.

But here they just sell them separately. only difference for the end user is you don't get a fancy box to throw away.

The editions are 100% the same.

Also, you don't need to buy XP, most people wont be selling XP anymore (mostly because they dont have them)...

Microsoft allow you to DOWNGRADE from Vista or Windows 7 to Windows XP with any Vista or 7 License purchase.

SO, if you can just purchase a Vista or 7 license, and downgrade to XP at no extra fee, you will be granted an XP license.

Thanks longball, I've read OEM license restrictions, looks as if I have to purchase 2 times if I wish to install genuine version on both my laptop and home site personal computer. This being because I am the end user, not a retailer, who would get a different license. Hmmmmm do you know a retailer who has OEM versions and can install on my equipment, probably alot cheaper.

Depends what you are doing but if it is basic applications such as Word, Exel, internet browsing, emails, etc, have you considered using a Linux package such as Ubuntu, it's free and comes with open office and other software that is also free.

Bart you don't need to buya copy to get it legit. Siply download Windows Genuine Advantage from windows update and run it. It will tell you your copy is not genuine. Simply click the resolve now button and simply give MS your details. They then give you a key by email and ship you a CD / DVD to your address. SIMPLE :)

OEM being tied to the mainboard is nothing, you get a few reinstalls with all new hardware, when it blocks you (I've managed large networks with this issue frequently), just call microsoft, its an automated phone system, you type in the product key, and they give you a new one over the phone.

we had so many licences when a new pc needed one we just picked any from the bunch. 1 license would have been used on 5 new pc's over the years easy.

Edited by ReThai

Bart you don't need to buya copy to get it legit. Siply download Windows Genuine Advantage from windows update and run it. It will tell you your copy is not genuine. Simply click the resolve now button and simply give MS your details. They then give you a key by email and ship you a CD / DVD to your address. SIMPLE :)

And 10 minutes after you give them your address the software police will knock at your door.