What Does A Farang Think?

siamesekitty

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the thai smile has a lot of different meanings...

Sometimes I get a smile from my thai women friend that I work with (keep in mind that I am a woman) but she doesnt like me...so its not one of those, "Oh I am just being pleasant smiles." Its one of those "I secretly hate you smiles."

Sometimes I cant tell if these smiles are genuine or not. Shopkeepers who are trying to sell me something smile at me a lot. Because they want to sell me something, obviously.

On the street...I get a lot of smiles, from both thai men and women, and it's hard to decipher exactly what they mean. I usually just smile back and ignore them because I feel they are either hitting on me, (usually if they are a man, though women have done this to me on occassion...) trying to get money from me (if they are trying to sell me something,) curious about me because I am a falang, or simply are just good people. I have found that Thai people use the smile also to defuse bad situations and amazingly, when a Thai person is angry with me, they always smile at me...smiling plus being angry really creeps me out....(no offense to people who do this...)

Anyway, just my 2 cents! :o

"She has just thought of something funny that happened the other day while coincidentally looking at me."

"She is feeling awkward at having to deal with me or farangs in general."

"She is afraid I may in some vague way that she is yet to ascertain be a potential threat."

"She is a hooker."

"I have done something stupid that reflects in my appearance like forgetting to tuck in my shirt."

"I have smiled and she has smiled back in a subconscious reflex reaction."

"She wants to sell me something."

"She is smiling at somebody else over my left shoulder."

"She is desperate to bag a farang."

"She thinks it may be financially worthwhile."

"I have no idea."

"She thinks I am somebody else."

"She mistakenly thinks I have some clout."

"The smile is position neutral for her face."

What is a Thai thinking when a Chinese smiles at them?

I just love those spontaneous bright smiles. It really doesn't matter of she is young, old, ugly or gorgeous. The smile is always beautiful.

I often induce giggling fits from young girls. Walking down the street, I spy a shy looking girl. She is looking at this old gruff looking farang who suddenly winks at her. I love it.

Edited by Gary A

In my somewhat limited experience, there are different kinds of smiles:

- You looked at her first and she just smiles politely back, kind of acknowledgment that she saw you too; nothing further intended.

- She obviously checks you out, smiles and looks into your eyes, keeps eye contact as long as possible: Now there are opportunities!

- She is a check-out clerk in the super-market and it's company policy to smile at every customer, together with a wai.

- I looked at her first and her smile back is rather a sign of embarrassment, obviously I was a bit too obtrusive smiling at her.

- She had gossiped with her friend and I "caught" her; she smiles, not disinclined to a flirt: Keep going ... use this funny opening now

- and probably a few more ...

Which ones do I like? All of them. Every smile is welcome, even from a bar girl, because a smile is so much more attractive than a 8:20 :o mouth.

:D

When I first came here I had the feeling that a lot of women were smiling at me (power of suggestion, no arrogance!!!)

Now,5 years later, 99.99% of them won't even notice me.

Sad but true!

:o

Thinkin "there must be an ATM near by"
What's her game, what she up to, Baht baht baht

Perhaps you should volunteer to do some stand up comedy at Empower's recurring meetings. Or maybe crack a few select witticisms along the same lines to your immigration officer. :o