Manual And Tools

lennya12threh

Does anyone know where to get a GSXR 750 2001 manual for repairs/servicing?

Today it wouldn't start and it wasn't because the engine was cold, or the electricity was low. It has started and driven fine every day for a long time.

I'm thinking maybe the spark plug, fuel isn't being injected, or maybe the engine was flooded somehow. The way the engine popped when it tried to start sounded that way. Either way I don't know and I just got home with it. Luckily I was with a friend with a pickup truck and we got it on and drove it back to the condo, but having a friend with a pickup near-by doesn't happen very often in my life.

I'm sure the problem is nothing much and not expensive, but I'm just sick of Thai mechanics. I feel like I never fully believe or trust them in the accuracy or truthfulness of what they tell you, and want to change on the bike.

I want a manual and my own tools, but fear the cost of buying enough quality tools to do basic work on this bike.

Really I shouldn't need that many tools to be able to take it apart somewhat, look, and be able to install new parts that I buy.

Today all i wanted to do was lift the gas tank and get at the spark plugs, open and check them or see if the piston was flooded.

------------------------------------

Where can I get a manual, and how much will basic tools cost me? I know one of those stands to lift the back wheel on are quite expensive already.

try google gsxr 750, 2001 manual or ebay might be another choice.

I agree with your take on some Thai mechanics. most are not qualified class A mechanics, also Thailand does

not have many 'big bikes' therefore they lack the knowledge.

Check the condenser and the 'brain'..

Had a few older bikes where the charging system was weak, so from a fully charged battery it went fine.. Then as the batt held less charge it became harder to start due to weaker spark / easier to flood.. running it was ok, but the sysmptoms were similar.

Well I have manual now. Now interested in tools....

Yea the situation was strange with my bike. Never had anny problems for a long time starting. Always ok.

Then one night it wouldn't start. The starter still worked for a long time, and the engine tried to fire but only popped a little bit and never started. At this time the electricity seemed to last a long time, and it just wouldn't start. I tried using the choke, rolling it, etc, etc.

Then the next morning it wouldn't start. By this time the battery was low. It got taken to a mechanic in a pickup. The guy hooked up another battery to mine and it started right away.... Tested the battery and regulator, but the battery would never charge past 12 volts and when not reving the engiine past 1-2000rpm it would go back down to 11.5 volts. At this time I thought maybe the engine just flooded or something last night and it couldn't start, and the battery/regulator was just getting old but still working, as it has been working for a long time fine....

But then I turned it off and tried starting it again and the starter wouldn't even turn, which was weird because last night the starter would turn and make noise, but the problem seemed to be in the engine or with fuel or something. Maybe the spark plugs...

Anyways after the battery seemed to die this time and there was never enough power for the starter to fully turn, then everything just died. They tried recharging the battery, switching batteries, switching regulators, and it never seemed to have enough power to turn the starter. Now the engine would fire if the starter turned, but the starter never turned, which is the opposite of the night it couldn't start. Like a completely different problem....

Eventually, it could start again, but every time you started it and then turned it off and started it again, (3 times or so) it would drain the whole battery and have no power..... It's like something up front is eating a ton of power when it starts it and the battery/regulator is ok. With a battery at 12+ volts, it couldn't start it. When you press the starter the volts would immediately go down to like 8-9 volts in 2 seconds, and then whhen released the batttery would dart back up to 12 volts.... It is fuel injected.... ?

So I got them to charge it again and drove home on the first start. I gave them back all the parts they tried on it and only paid the fee for them to pick it up, even though they spent like 3 hours trying to figure it out... The guys were sick of it... LoL Hopefully I have one more start tomorrow so I can drive it across Bangkok to another mechanic who always seems to get it right and only works on bikes like mine. Hes by Red Barron and uses their parts when anything is needed.

Anyways. Do you think I could most of tools necessary to do some basic checking and repairing / installing new parts, for under 10,000 baht?

I need some screw drivers, allen wrenches, the oil filter wrench, some bigger torque wrenches, one those stands to lift up the back wheel, etc, etc.

I'd like to learn a bit. I don't plan on ditching the hobbie of big bikes any time soon and I have a lot of time to live (if I drive like a nice boy), so it could be a good investment.

Jeez lenny. I thought i was unlucky with bikes (i'm a cheap charlie, so never pay much to buy bikes, max so far 47,000b) But YOU have been really unlucky.

When you take it over to the Mechanic, get him to give it a really good look over.

Jeez lenny. I thought i was unlucky with bikes (i'm a cheap charlie, so never pay much to buy bikes, max so far 47,000b) But YOU have been really unlucky.

When you take it over to the Mechanic, get him to give it a really good look over.

Thanks for the priceless advice. :)

Starting to think I should have waited for the ninja600 4 cylinder thats supposed to arrive some, make a down payment and pay monthly. that one is doable. The zx1000 isnt quite doable. Bittoo expensive to pay and finance....

I don't think he's unlucky, he just refuses to listen to anyone's advice and keeps buying lemons... Buying an old sport bike in Thailand is asking for trouble.

Ah lenny here we go again...

Well its one of three things: your battery, the alternator or the charging circuit. Most likely its the battery. Take it out, fill each cell with sulphuric acid (already diluted; buy a 'red' bottle from your local bike shop; make sure you don't just buy the 'blue' bottle which is distilled water). Charge it up (give it to a bike shop or find a friend with a charger); should be 12 volts. Leave it on charge overnight. I have resurrected about three batteries this way. People always assume the battery has gone; filling it with water won't work because there is no sulphuric acid left so you need to fill it with sulphuric acid!

Once charged you could swap it with the Sonic (assuming its the same size).

Alternativly take your (good) battery from the Sonic, and see if it keeps its charge on the GSX. Its probably a smaller battery but will be good enough for day riding (no lights).

Be careful about running the starter for long periods of time. They are not designed to do this and will burn out!

PS: A new battery does not cost much.

I tried to help someone with a Suzuki Raider charging problem. Search that for tips on checking out your alternator.