149,443,728,473.72 Thb

Thomas_Merton

So what :D

the bank that i work for just made a profit of

3,6 Billion Euro

And idon't have shares :o

You must admit a 3,6 Billion Euro profit for a bank is hardly a man-bites-dog story.

On the other hand a £2 Billion profit for a retail outfit is a remarkably healthy result, if not even newsworthy, considering the area of Tesco's operations and its competition.

3,6 Billion Euro

You must admit a 3,6 Billion Euro profit for a bank is hardly a man-bites-dog story.

On the other hand a £2 Billion profit for a retail outfit is a remarkably healthy result, if not even newsworthy, considering the area of Tesco's operations and its competition.

Mind you Tesco has its own banking, insurance and virtually everything else they can think of. I am fed up of British supermarkets and the crap they sell so I am happy to say I will be in thailand within the month.

3,6 Billion Euro

Mind you Tesco has its own banking, insurance and virtually everything else they can think of. I am fed up of British supermarkets and the crap they sell so I am happy to say I will be in thailand within the month.

FYI if you want to escape Tesco, perhaps you should reconsider Thailand.

It is only because Tesco (Lotus) is one of the major retail outlets in Thailand that this thread could be of interest in TV.

3,6 Billion Euro

FYI if you want to escape Tesco, perhaps you should reconsider Thailand.

It is only because Tesco (Lotus) is one of the major retail outlets in Thailand that this thread could be of interest in TV.

Mind you they don't do banking, insurance, or PG Tips.

By the way, £2 Billion is the figure for the Tesco group worldwide. I couldn't find a figure for Thailand but the equivalent figure for all their international companies is £0.37 billion.

Is Tesco getting too big for its own good? Fighting back on the Tescoville high street

By David Derbyshire

(Filed: 13/04/2005)

Each time Tesco announces a round of record profits, the grumblings of discontent grow louder and louder.

But while love of the underdog and antipathy towards success is part of the British psyche, the anti-Tesco backlash increasingly seems to be more than just inverted snobbery.

Tesco has a 30pc share of all supermarket profits

As Tesco reported profits yesterday of £2.03 billion, up 20.5 per cent on 2004, critics say the growth of the supermarket behemoths has pushed out smaller shops, turned town centres into food deserts and squeezed suppliers to the point of collapse.

Tesco is extremely sensitive to accusations that it is too powerful. Yesterday, its chief executive, Sir Terry Leahy, was playing down the dominance of the store, which this week was revealed to have a 30 per cent share of all supermarket shopping.

But a study published last year by Prof Ian Clarke at Lancashire University management school and supported by the Economic and Social Research Council found that while shoppers loved the bigger stores, they also wanted more local convenience stores run by smaller firms.

"There's a love-hate relationship - they like what they do and they like the prices and the range of products," he said. "But people want diversity - they don't want to live in Tescoville or Asdaville."

Ian Proudfoot, the managing director of the independent grocery chain Proudfoot, believes he is a victim of Tesco's tough business tactics.

He complained to the Office of Fair Trading after Tesco launched a rival store in the North Yorkshire town of Withernsea by sending out 6,000 vouchers offering 40 per cent discounts.

Sales at his family-owned store plummeted. However, the OFT ruled that Tesco had not breached the 1998 Competition Act and had not engaged in "abusive" trading.

The OFT has also been relaxed about Tesco's move back into the high street and the takeover of chains such as Europa, Cullens and Harts and T&S.

Tesco argues that its smaller corner shops serve a different customer base to its bigger superstores and that there is no threat to healthy competition.

Some of the harshest criticism of Tesco, Asda and the other supermarkets has come from their control of the supply chain. Suppliers say their prices have been squeezed while demands for "perfect-looking" produce have become stricter.

In December, dairy farmers protested outside Tesco supermarkets, calling for a greater share of milk's retail price. Many farmers say they now make a loss on every gallon of milk because of supermarket prices.

Individual suppliers are reluctant to complain for fear of antagonising the stores. However, Clive Sage, 41, a Dorset sheep farmer, stopped supplying supermarkets six years ago after prices fell so low that he says he was losing £10 for every lamb sold. He now sells direct to consumers.

"We were supplying premium top quality lambs, only to be paid a pittance for them, and then saw a huge mark-up when it got to the supermarket shelves," he said.

Tesco says it follows the 2001 Supermarket Code of Practice, drawn up to regulate trading relationships between the major supermarkets and suppliers. A report earlier this year by the Office of Fair Trading found that Tesco and the other suppliers were not in breach of the code.

Friends of the Earth's food campaigner Vicki Hird described the latest profits as a "testament to Tesco's ability to squeeze suppliers and smother competition".

She said: "Without action there will be fewer local shops, fewer farmers and little hope for a more sustainable future for UK food and farming."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005. Terms

i've no doubt that thais will be making the same complaints in a few years time.

tesco seems to control food retailing in the uk , and has a lot of control over food production too.

( if you check the labelling on say a yoghurt carton , the carton comes from china , the milk from argentina , the food colouring from taiwan , its made in denmark , the carton is printed in germany and then the product is sold in the uk.

about 50,000 miles of travel and fuel wastage to put a 20p carton on a shelf in sh1tsbury -on - sludge in the uk.

surely a local farmer can be found to make some decent yoghurt.)

it cant be right.

and companies like tesco should be brought to account over some of their practices and their role in the closures of so many independant retailers.

Is Tesco getting too big for its own good? Fighting back on the Tescoville high street

By David Derbyshire

(Filed: 13/04/2005)

Each time Tesco announces a round of record profits, the grumblings of discontent grow louder and louder.

But while love of the underdog and antipathy towards success is part of the British psyche, the anti-Tesco backlash increasingly seems to be more than just inverted snobbery.

Tesco has a 30pc share of all supermarket profits

As Tesco reported profits yesterday of £2.03 billion, up 20.5 per cent on 2004, critics say the growth of the supermarket behemoths has pushed out smaller shops, turned town centres into food deserts and squeezed suppliers to the point of collapse. <SNIP>

i've no doubt that thais will be making the same complaints in a few years time.

tesco seems to control food retailing in the uk , and has a lot of control over food production too.

( if you check the labelling on say a yoghurt carton , the carton comes from china , the milk from argentina , the food colouring from taiwan , its made in denmark , the carton is printed in germany and then the product is sold in the uk.

about 50,000 miles of travel and fuel wastage to put a 20p carton on a shelf in sh1tsbury -on - sludge in the uk.

surely a local farmer can be found to make some decent yoghurt.)

it cant be right.

and companies like tesco should be brought to account over some of their practices and their role in the closures of so many independant retailers.

Replace "Tesco" with "Walmart" and you'd have a preview of Chapter 12 of 50 Things I Loathe About America.

Not a happy tale.

That's why I stopped writing it and tried another way.

Silly me.

As long as they provide me with what I need, at a decent competitive price, who cares ?

Well for starters all the mom 'n pop stores driven out of business and into despair by the take-no-prisoners marketing techniques deployed by these hyper-mega-markets.

I tried - in vain - to convince my dearly departed father that the great bargain (a few cents) he had just reaped and the recently downsized and un-retoolable 56-year-old poor schlub next door had a direct connection, but he was too busy feeling like he'd just won the lottery and counting his pennies. He was a very good man who worked hard and raised his kids right, but his vision wasn't all too keen. And the Walmarts and Tescos of the world are counting on the common shortsighted folks to augment their just-plain-selfish-and-greedy base to spread and thrive like so much unchecked cancer.

Maybe mom 'n pop are too old school to survive in the the new global hyper-mega-marketplaces.

Maybe I'm clinging to a failed vision of a utopia that never was, and it's time to reconsider my outdated model in light of this apparent reality.

Maybe ostensibly Buddhist Thailand isn't far enough away fom the me-first paradigm I was trying to walk away from.

Who cares?

I hope more than just me.

Thanks, Thomas Merton (one of my heroes, too) for giving this issue some airtime.

Thanks everyone for tolerating my rant.

Carry on with what you were doing.

jb

Tesco is a very well run company, and I see so many companies that are run in a lousy way by greedy nasty CEOs, its good to see one that knows its onions.

Tesco has moved on from being a Hypermart - with High Street smaller stores now.

It sells cheaper than other stores - but aren't cheap prices supposed to be a good thing? (For housewives at least).

Its even succeeding in foreign locations, which is always a tough expansion gamble for any entrepreneur.

'Tall Poppy Syndrome' here. If someone's doing well, time to grumble.

Edited by The_Moog

And theres more on the way......

The supermarket giant rules supreme in the UK but is finding overseas markets harder to crack. By Richard Fletcher

IN its Chinese stores, Tesco sells chicken feet and scooters; in Poland and Hungary the speciality is live carp; while in South Korea live crabs are among the best sellers.

It is impossible to know what founder Sir Jack Cohen, whose first retail venture was selling groceries in London’s East End markets in 1919, would make of the chicken feet, but the former market trader would certainly be impressed by the numbers: after five years of phenomenal growth, Tesco’s international sales now top £6 billion out of total sales of $50 billion (£26 billion).

and....

Tesco aims to Double pace of expansion abroad

By Sarah Butler

TESCO unveiled plans yesterday to nearly double its rate of expansion abroad, after becoming the first UK retailer to report annual profits of more than £2 billion.

The supermarket chain now claims 13 per cent of all UK retail sales, but is determined to make its mark internationally.

Over the next 12 months Tesco is set to open 5.3 million sq ft of new floor space overseas — 85 per cent more than it opened last year —

including 15 hypermarkets in China and 11 in Thailand.

A 20.9 per cent increase in profits from its international operations helped Tesco to deliver pre-tax profits of £2.03 billion in the year to February 26, up 20.5 per cent on the previous year.

Stores as far afield as Thailand, Poland and Taiwan delivered £7.6 billion of sales, contributing to a 12.4 per cent rise in group sales to £37.1 billion.

Sir Terry Leahy, the chief executive, said that the retailer continued to attract new customers because of its policy of cutting prices and improving service and the range of merchandise on offer.

But shares in Tesco slipped ¼p to 318½p as Sir Terry gave warning that the past year had been one of “exceptional growth” ......

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...31,00.html(with thanks)

Competitive prices? Not at all. Many items sold at Tesco can be purchased at the same price and less at your corner store.

Many items are way overpriced as well.

It is convenient to be able to get some drill bits, underwear, a few loafs of bread, soap and a bicycle , all under the same roof.

Next time you shop there in the evening, ask the cashier how long she's been standing there and when was her last break... I've heard quite a few complaining.

They still don't sell Marmite or Branston Pickle or Twiglets or Shreddies or Farrow's Marrowfat Peas or Fray Bentos Steak and Kiddley pie or Cadbury's Cream Eggs or Tunnock's Caramel Wafers or ....

They still don't sell Marmite or Branston Pickle or Twiglets or Shreddies or Farrow's Marrowfat Peas or Fray Bentos Steak and Kiddley pie or Cadbury's Cream Eggs or Tunnock's Caramel Wafers or ....

You seem to have a good stash of marmite RDN....you`ve obviously acquired the taste :o

:D:D I was just tucking in to some Campbell's Minestrone soup with toast and Marmite when I saw this post! And it's well-travelled Marmite, too - from England to Pakistan to Thailand to me! With very great thanks to one of our well-travelled members :D

You seem to have a good stash of marmite RDN....you`ve obviously acquired the taste :o

:D:D I was just tucking in to some Campbell's Minestrone soup with toast and Marmite when I saw this post! And it's well-travelled Marmite, too - from England to Pakistan to Thailand to me! With very great thanks to one of our well-travelled members :D

Excuse the bump - just sick of seeing the Tw*ts at the top of this forum, and on the front page.

Fray Bentos Steak and Kiddley pie

The one with the puff pasty?

An amazing invention. In 10 years in London, that was the only occasions I used my oven.

Confession time: My first summer vacation from Uni. - 1967 - I am 19/20 years old and working in a chicken factory (next to my one day cutting sugar in LOS, the absolute worst job of my life). I was living at home with my parents who for two weeks took my sisters on holiday to Wales.

For those two weeks I catered for myself: 14 Fray Bentos’ Steak and Kidney pies and 14 tins of Heinz Baked Beans.

The worst was, I piled up the used cans around me on the sofa at night, saying, on the day before "they" came home, I would tidy up.

The problem was, "they" came home a day earlier than expected.

My mother, who is now 80 years old, only told my wife last week to watch me as a hawk in matters concerning diet and tidiness, quoting that blissful summer, where I smelt of chickens by day and old Fray Bentos and Baked Beans by night, as an example of how irresponsible I could be.

Mmmmm…I think I am going to pop down to the local shop for something. See you later.

Six or seven years ago we got Big C in Chiangrai.

Before that time a handfull of Chinese families decided what you could buy in Chiangrai and at what price.

For a lot of things you had to go to Chiangmai. The simplest things just didn't 'exist' here in the sense that people just didn't know of their existence. Now you not only can buy coffee-machines and vacuumcleaners, but even the filters you have to use in the coffee-machine. I expect that we will have paper-bags for the vacuumcleaners within a year.

And for poison, mamma and toothpaste we still have the small shops. Never further away than hundred meters.

It is very funny to see all the foreigners in the Big C. They are mostly dressed like poor people, but outside they have big pick-up trucks.

It is very funny to see all the foreigners in the Big C. They are mostly dressed like poor people, but outside they have big pick-up trucks.

I can understand this, can't afford decent togs with a very expensive pick up to pay for.

An amazing invention. In 10 years in London, that was the only occasions I used my oven.

Steak and Kidney pie recipe:

1. Turn oven to gas mark 8. Leave for 10 minutes to get really hot.

2. Put Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie tin (opened) at top of oven.

3. After 15 minutes check whether the puff pastry has hit the top of the oven yet. If so, move tin to middle of oven.

4. Repeat 3. above every 3 minutes until pastry hits the top, starts to burn, or 25 minutes have passed.

5. After 25 minutes, remove from oven.

During this time, of course, you can also cook the oven-ready roast potatoes, beans and/or peas. No need for gravy - it's in the tin. Bon appetit! :o

Steak and Kidney pie recipe:

1. Turn oven to gas mark 8. Leave for 10 minutes to get really hot.

2. Put Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie tin (opened) at top of oven.

3. After 15 minutes check whether the puff pastry has hit the top of the oven yet. If so, move tin to middle of oven.

4. Repeat 3. above every 3 minutes until pastry hits the top, starts to burn, or 25 minutes have passed.

5. After 25 minutes, remove from oven.

During this time, of course, you can also cook the oven-ready roast potatoes, beans and/or peas. No need for gravy - it's in the tin. Bon appetit! :o

No Gordan Blue chef could serve a meal of such subtle culinary delights.

As Del boy would say, "Parlez voo"

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Tesco/Lotus - too big, too powerful

The big retail chains have about 50% of the thai market these days.

Smaller businesses are closing shop.

Suppliers to the chains are faced with outrageous dictations and payment terms. Consumers are generally more comfortable (altough not neccessarily paying less)

The big earners are the shareholders

Next time you shop there in the evening, ask the cashier how long she's been standing there and when was her last break... I've heard quite a few complaining.

Also remember when you are buying your weekly groceries for 3,000 baht or whatever that they only get about 30 baht an hour, so I heard and believe.

I guess that would be 240 baht for a 8 hour shift, more than an average rice farmer gets. I know what I would rather do.

I love Tesco - they gave us funny card, credit, vacuum cleaner and lots of free plastic bags. Also - they are clean, cold, polite and opened till 11pm.

chin mam'n'pup shops are filthy, dirty, cheated, outdated, bad mannered, zero-credit and but-ugly-faced.

long live tesco and other global corps for bringing some culture in daily shopping.

There was a news article last year that the mom and pop stores in Lampang or Lamphun province (or Phrae or Pryao) were being briefed by govt. business advisors, for free, how to improve their retailing techniques before a Tesco or Big C or Carrefour came in and buried them. I'll bet that only a few retailers went to the conference, and fewer still changed their business practices as a result. That's how Sam Walton destroyed small businesses all over the USA in small towns before moving on to the cities.

Antiquated retailers need to join the 21st century or end up sweeping the floor at a hypermart. It's not fair, it's just capitalism gone mad.