Ideas On Apartments For One Month

clarkey

Hi guys,

Im heading up to CM for a months R+R from the 15th December.

I have googled and found sooo many options for apartments in CM that its all a bit much..

I popped this question in the Bangkok section when I was looking for a months stay in an apartment in BKK and found (thanks to TV and the BKK folk) a great place to camp, so I thought Id throw it out there and see what comes from the CM section.

Im looking for a clean, safe apartment with TV, Fridge, bathroom, with internet connection and able to do some cooking in room if needed/wanted.. A small balcony would be great but atleast a window or two for natural light is good.

I have a budget of 5 to 6,000 a month but am happy to check out upto 10,000 a month rooms.

I would prefer somewhere around the East side of Old Town, in around the backpackers haven and within walking distance of the night market.

I have short listed

Awanahouse-Guesthouse on Ratchadamnoen Road....

Galare Thong Tower Apartment on Chang Klang Road

And a few out of the way...

Loft Residence on Hussadhisawee Road ( a new place thats taken over google at the moment)

HuayKaew Residence on Huay Kaew Road..

Fuengfa Place on Arak Road..

As i say i would like to be in thick of the action, with walking distance atleast, so the last 3 are not soo good but they read well..

I would welcome any suggestions, help, and/or input to my shortlist, good, bad or indifferent...

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a perfect description of what I'm looking for too. Thanks for listing some of the options you've found already. Doesn't seem like too many places have websites, so I'm thinking I might have to take a day or two after arriving to scoot around and check places out.

Think I'll be up there a bit earlier than the 15th, so if I find anything spectacular I'll let you know. But maybe the folks here will have some suggestions.

There's serviced apartments on Canal Rd. near Best Western Hotel (it's not near anything exciting) for I think 4,500 per month, got everything you want except the cooking - but there's a microwave and hot water pot. I think there are similar near Nimmanhaemin/Huay Kaew intersection for roughly the same price. Not in "backpacker central" but it's still close to some yuppie-ish action.

You could always buy a cheap hot plate and get one of those places you shortlisted.

Edited by chevyinasia

There's serviced apartments on Canal Rd. near Best Western Hotel (it's not near anything exciting) for I think 4,500 per month, got everything you want except the cooking - but there's a microwave and hot water pot. I think there are similar near Nimmanhaemin/Huay Kaew intersection for roughly the same price. Not in "backpacker central" but it's still close to some yuppie-ish action.

You could always buy a cheap hot plate and get one of those places you shortlisted.

"I'd like to be in the thick of the action, within walking distance at least"

He wants to be inside the moat. Canal Road and Nimmenheimen might as well be on the moon for all the use they'd be to the OP. Can't imagine why he's looking at Chang Klan Road. Inside the moat is crammed full of cheap places. A quick canter round would turn something up in minutes. Sorry I can't help though.

Sorry for being harsh, but these guys are too cheap and miserable to pay a hotel or guest house so are looking for apartments. They have a budget of 200 baht (what $6) per day for accommodation. I suppose they are walking or swimming here as well. Sorry guys but that is pathetic, seems you are the tourists Thailand doesn't want anyway, can't imagine why?

Sorry for being harsh, but these guys are too cheap and miserable to pay a hotel or guest house so are looking for apartments. They have a budget of 200 baht (what $6) per day for accommodation. I suppose they are walking or swimming here as well. Sorry guys but that is pathetic, seems you are the tourists Thailand doesn't want anyway, can't imagine why?

I would call them smart, not cheap. Why pay more for the same thing if you can get it? Duh.

NaunPranee Guest House, Mitrpranee Road fits your requirements perfectly.

very close to MoonMaung Soy 1/2 (just up the alley between the soys)

25 yds from the packpackers main area, loads of bars close by.

Chiang Mai gate 100yds away.

big fridge, hot water shower ensuite, tv, dvd player, fan, air con, 30hrs wifi

6000bht a month + water + electricity + cleaning (so about 7000bht all in)

People don't come here for Thailand's benefit, they come here to get the best deal they can on whatever budget they have.

How do you know they are the tourists Thailand doesn't want anyway?

Don't cheap places deserve to make a living too?

Loads of cheap places inside the moat - just have a walk around.

Seems like you have a problem with attitude and should return back to your billionaire home in farangland instead of complaining about people using their brain.

No idea whether Thailand actually wants me here, but for what it's worth, I'm spending a month to get my bearings and try some language classes while searching for a good long-term volunteer project.

Thanks for the suggestions, they're much appreciated.

Best language classes are at the YMCA near Gat Sang Gaiw, Huay Gaiw road.

Lots of cheap apartments there too (2500bht a month).

ChiangMai Uni has a volunteer placement scheme for 15,000bht, gets you a 1 year ed visa as well

Edited by pjclark1

Please go home!cause of a....... like you i left europe and now you start gathering here!seems like nowhere to hide!dam_n!

I don't see how you guys are going to find an apartment for one month only? Most serviced apartments/rooms in town require a six month lease with two month deposit. Some guest houses and hotels will do a one month deal but I don't think a serviced apartment will. Huay Kaew Residence used to have a daily rate in one of the buildings for 500-600 Baht per day.

Good luck!

NaunPranee Guest House, Mitrpranee Road fits your requirements perfectly.

very close to MoonMaung Soy 1/2 (just up the alley between the soys)

25 yds from the packpackers main area, loads of bars close by.

Chiang Mai gate 100yds away.

big fridge, hot water shower ensuite, tv, dvd player, fan, air con, 30hrs wifi

6000bht a month + water + electricity + cleaning (so about 7000bht all in)

just checked into naunpranee its 5,000 pm plus extras

i looked at the Hau Kawe apartments about the same price but outside the moat and like an army barracks

Hey clarkey,

You'll be happy to know I've been on the same quest as you for the last few days. Unfortunately, a lot of these monthly places are booked solid.

Here are those you mentioned and several more that I've checked:

• Awanahouse I did not check.
  • Galare Thong (http://www.galarethong.com) - for some reason called Galae Tong there - is full.
  • Loft Residence (http://www.loftresidence-chiangmai.com) I could not find. The map on their website is useless, and they even have their own address wrong. It's Changphuak Soi 4, not Hussadhisawee Soi 4, if you feel like hunting it down.
  • Huay Kaew (http://www.huaykaewresidence.com) has rooms. For a single month, it's 6,500B plus the same for a security deposit. The rooms are rather bare and dreary, however. For 8,500B you can get a slightly better one, but it's still not very encouraging. Finally, the have much nicer suites available in the 12,000 - 16,000B range.
  • Fuengfa (http://www.fuengfaplace.com) is full.
  • I stumbled across another one called Galare Residence a street over from Fuenfa. Communication was difficult, but they were basically offering an actual apartment (bedroom, living room, kitchen, etc) for 10,000B, unlike most of these other places that just offer a room with a bed.
  • Smith Residence (http://www.chiangmai-smith-residence.com) is full unless you want to spring for a 22,000B suite.
  • Ban Wiang Guesthouse (http://www.banwiang-guesthouse.com) seems nice, and well-priced at 7,000B, but I could not find it.
  • Bed and Terrace (http://www.bedandterrace.com) is full.
  • Khumsiphaya Grand Hotel is full. 
  • The Dome (http://www.thedomechiangmai.com) is full.
  • Chiangmai Lodge (http://www.chiangmailodge.net) had both standard and deluxe rooms for 7,000B and 8,000B available, and they are quite charming, but their non-flexible 10,000B deposit turned me off.
  • Golden Residence (http://www.goldenresidencechiangmai.com) is full.
  • The Royal Lanna Hotel (no website, right next to the night market) apparently has rooms for 7,000B a month, but I did not check.

FWIW, until I find a better place, I'm staying at the New Mitrapap Hotel, which is quite decent at 330B/night and has free Internet.

In response to elektrified, I've yet to find a place that wouldn't sign for a single month. However, most of these places will give you even better prices if you're planning on staying for a few months.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Joe

Checked into View Doi Mansion (www.viewdoimansion.com) yesterday, just off Santitham Road, and I love it. Even though it's not inside the old city it's still easy to get anywhere. Only had to commit for 1 month @ 5000b. The rooms are very well thought out and since the place is only 1 year old they're really clean.

Also looked at Emporium Residence (www.emporiumchiangmai.com) just up the street. Their places were the same price and also newish and clean.

Both places have some rooms available now. Today I also noticed a brand new building called "Mai Mansion" toward the south end of Santitham Road. They've got a big sign saying they're open but it doesn't look too occupied yet.

• 4 weeks later...
Checked into View Doi Mansion (www.viewdoimansion.com) yesterday, just off Santitham Road, and I love it. Even though it's not inside the old city it's still easy to get anywhere. Only had to commit for 1 month @ 5000b. The rooms are very well thought out and since the place is only 1 year old they're really clean.

Would you still recommend View Doi after a few weeks? I'm coming to CM in February and I plan to stay for at least a month. I might want to get one of the bigger rooms, as they are within my housing budget as well. Have you used the internet connection? How is it? Do the staff speak good English? Anything else noteworthy?

My initial plan was to come over and scout for a place to live, but of course it would save me a bit of hassle if I could just book in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Would you still recommend View Doi after a few weeks? I'm coming to CM in February and I plan to stay for at least a month. I might want to get one of the bigger rooms, as they are within my housing budget as well. Have you used the internet connection? How is it? Do the staff speak good English? Anything else noteworthy?

My initial plan was to come over and scout for a place to live, but of course it would save me a bit of hassle if I could just book in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's definitely a nice place to stay. The managers speak decent English, which is necessary considering it's probably 75% farang here.

Internet connection is the only issue so far. Only LAN is provided free, no wireless. It's not horrible, but it's not good either. Don't know yet whether it's possible to get a DSL line here but I need to look into it.

Fortunately there is a great cafe directly across the street with free wireless, really cheap and tasty food, as well as good coffee.

I wouldn't book in advance. Just stay in a cheap place for 1-2 nights and check out the list of places you're considering. If you're not familiar with the different areas you'll probably want to get a feel for what's around too.

Would you still recommend View Doi after a few weeks?

Yeah, it's definitely a nice place to stay. The managers speak decent English, which is necessary considering it's probably 75% farang here.

Internet connection is the only issue so far. Only LAN is provided free, no wireless. It's not horrible, but it's not good either. Don't know yet whether it's possible to get a DSL line here but I need to look into it.

Fortunately there is a great cafe directly across the street with free wireless, really cheap and tasty food, as well as good coffee.

I wouldn't book in advance. Just stay in a cheap place for 1-2 nights and check out the list of places you're considering. If you're not familiar with the different areas you'll probably want to get a feel for what's around too.

Thanks for the info.

The internet thing is a bummer. I don't need wireless (or I could take my own router), but I need a somewhat reliable connection, as I have to download big video files every now and then (legal, non-pirated stuff, mind you). It doesn't have to be fast, but if it cuts out often, it gets annoying.

I'll probably stick to my original plan then. A couple of nights at the Montri or something and then some scouting around.

I know I am sounding tiresome with this....but have you checked out the Thai Visa Classifieds?

The top of every page...click on the grey button...scroll down to select by city, then on advanced search click on apartments for rent.

On an identical thread to yours, this morning, I pulled up, and posted a link to 187 listings for Chiang Mai apartments for rent.

Maybe we, the Thai Visa team, need to do more to make this more apparent.

BTW, this service is free to the advertiser. If you click on an ad, it usually opens up to much more than a simple description.

Most advertisers have multiple photos, and extensive descriptions.

Really just don't understand why more people don't utilize this service.

To emphasis again, it is free. :)