British Couple Subjected To Vile 'clockwork Orange' Style Sex Attack On Thailand Holiday

webfact

British couple subjected to vile 'Clockwork Orange' style sex attack on Thailand holiday

By Andrew Drummond

Last updated at 12:38 AM on 28th November 2009

A British couple have become victims of a horrendous Clockwork Orange-style sex attack ordeal while on holiday in Thailand.

The professional couple had chosen the Thai holiday island of Koh Chang to round off a memorable one-year sabbatical from their jobs touring the world.

But last night, the couple, one a government employee, the other a businessman, fled Thailand after they were subjected to a night of terror in which they say they were drugged and raped by a gang they suspect preys on foreign tourists.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...nd-holiday.html

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Clockwork Orange' <deleted>? :)

It's a movie. Look it up. It's actually a good movie.

and fancy sending a Thai employee of the UK Embassy - total waste of time - what happened to the farang officials ???- and there cant be too many French nationals on the island - would not take long to check all the resorts etc and follow up - but again i did forget for a minute =- TIT this is thailand - but another good tourism story to promote the happier side of the tourism sector -

and fancy sending a Thai employee of the UK Embassy - total waste of time - what happened to the farang officials ???- and there cant be too many French nationals on the island - would not take long to check all the resorts etc and follow up - but again i did forget for a minute =- TIT this is thailand - but another good tourism story to promote the happier side of the tourism sector -

i guess the only upside to this story for Thailand if there is one, is it was farangs committing the crime, not Thai. same thing could have happened in Paris.

Koh Chang has many, many French living and holidaying there

It doesn't really matter whether or not anyone has seen the movie. Two people of whatever nationality were horrendously abused. I am so very sorry that anyone would be treated in such a manner. Recovery will not be short lived. My sincere regrets to the couple involved.

It doesn't really matter whether or not anyone has seen the movie. Two people of whatever nationality were horrendously abused. I am so very sorry that anyone would be treated in such a manner. Recovery will not be short lived. My sincere regrets to the couple involved.

Absolutely right. Not sure why all the chat is about the film, which most seem not to have seen anyhow

:) Surely the major point is not the film but the fact that it is another nail in Thailand's coffin

This is Europeans attacking Europeans so frankly it could have happened at any beach side bar virtually anywhere in the world. The Daily Mail seems to have got it 'in' for Thailand and I wouldn't mind so much if they also reported every rape that happened in London each night. A quick search of the internate reveals that rapes in London schools alone have risen by 100 pct in the last year. Needless to say that little gem was reported by the European Union Times, not the Daily Mail.

//General notice//

I will not object if some information regarding the movie is provided. Younger members and members haven't watched that movie will not understand the meaning "Clockwork Orange" without an explanation.

Please don't let it turn into a movie discussion. This I will object.

Thanks

the way they reported it gave the impression that a Thai group was the perpetrator when in actuality the perpetrators were also farangs! that couple should have known better than to both leave their drinks and consume the drinks when they came back; should've just ordered new ones...

Wow, 2000 readers this morning, probably 10k by end of weekend.............

This forum is surely a great place to plant a meme, but I don't think I can agree with the poster who says that this is an article designed specifically to cancel tourist bookings. Who gains from a few hotel cancellations?

Plus, while it is a "sensational" story, it nevertheless merits our attention if it is true, so why not report it? Readers can and do use their own discretion.......

In any case, my sincere sympathies to the couple involved.

On a final note, the "Clockwork Orange" comparison is accurate insofar as a gang rape has allegedly occurred. It is inaccurate insofar as the "ultraviolence" portrayed in the movie has thankfully not been perpetrated in reality in this instance. In making this point, I am not seeking to diminish the traumatic nature of the events in any way.

Here is my analysis of the article:

"The couple did not wish to be fully identified. But the man, Richard, 42, remembers being forced to watch as his wife Susan, 31, was sexually assaulted by two men."

Ok. I understand that the couple do not wish to be identified. That is reasonable.

"They called the police, but when nobody went to see them, they went to a local hospital to be examined by doctors."

Which hospital? Which police officer did they speak to? What's the name of the doctor?

"Susan said the night of their ordeal began with a pleasant drink at a beach bar, where they met an Englishwoman and some Frenchmen. They stayed in their company at the bar, although at one point she and her partner left for a short time, returning to join them. It was at that point, she believes, the drinks were spiked."

Which beach bar in Koh Chang? 'Some Frenchmen'? 2, 3, 4? How many Frenchmen?

"Richard said he could vaguely remember being outside the bungalow and watching through a window as Susan was assaulted by the men."

Vaguely remembering being outside the bungalow and watching through a window is NOT the same as being FORCED to watch his wife being assaulted.

"The couple said that when they were able to complain to police 'they did not seem very interested'."

What was the name of this uninterested police officer?

"After contacting the British Embassy they were visited by a consular representative, a local Thai woman, who told them the police would not take the case seriously."

What was the name of the consular representative who represents the British Embassy who states that the police do not take matters of assault and rape seriously, especially of foreign tourists?

"A Thai Police spokesman..." Name?

"A British Embassy spokesman..." Name?

"'A member of staff from our consulate in Pattaya..." Name? Name? Name? What happened to stating facts or quoting sources in so called 'reporting'?

Ok..So we do not have a SINGLE full name in this article. Even "Richard's" story changes from being forced to watch, to vaguely remembering looking through the window.

Clockwork Orange? Not even a close comparison. Clockwork Orange depicted brutally violent rape scenes that ended in murder and permanent crippling without the use of date rape drugs but with the victims fully conscious. The film was banned in England when it was released which helped promote it's popularity. The subtext of the film is an exploration of the criminal mind and the morality of innovative 'rehabilitation' solutions.

As far as the article goes, I see it as a direct attack on the economy of Thailand designed to produce holiday cancellations without offering a single fact or point of reference to even

verify that this event happened at all. Andrew Drummond should be ashamed of himself for spewing such trash.

Galaxy. Thank you.

The OP starts a thread with no details at all, I never seen or heard of the movie, had no idea what was being said. He should have given more details and as you said apparently the comparison to the movie is not even correct. Again thanks for the the explanation.

The attack is truly terrible no matter how or where it happened. Hopefully justice will be served but I doubt that. Best to just hope for a recovery of the victims.
I think it should be: The attack is truly terrible IF it happened.

"The couple did not wish to be fully identified. But the man, Richard, 42, remembers being forced to watch as his wife Susan, 31, was sexually assaulted by two men."

Ok. I understand that the couple do not wish to be identified. That is reasonable.

"They called the police, but when nobody went to see them, they went to a local hospital to be examined by doctors."

Which hospital? Which police officer did they speak to? What's the name of the doctor?

"Susan said the night of their ordeal began with a pleasant drink at a beach bar, where they met an Englishwoman and some Frenchmen. They stayed in their company at the bar, although at one point she and her partner left for a short time, returning to join them. It was at that point, she believes, the drinks were spiked."

Which beach bar in Koh Chang? 'Some Frenchmen'? 2, 3, 4? How many Frenchmen?

"Richard said he could vaguely remember being outside the bungalow and watching through a window as Susan was assaulted by the men."

Vaguely remembering being outside the bungalow and watching through a window is NOT the same as being FORCED to watch his wife being assaulted.

"The couple said that when they were able to complain to police 'they did not seem very interested'."

What was the name of this uninterested police officer?

"After contacting the British Embassy they were visited by a consular representative, a local Thai woman, who told them the police would not take the case seriously."

What was the name of the consular representative who represents the British Embassy who states that the police do not take matters of assault and rape seriously, especially of foreign tourists?

"A Thai Police spokesman..." Name?

"A British Embassy spokesman..." Name?

"'A member of staff from our consulate in Pattaya..." Name? Name? Name? What happened to stating facts or quoting sources in so called 'reporting'?

Ok..So we do not have a SINGLE full name in this article. Even "Richard's" story changes from being forced to watch, to vaguely remembering looking through the window.

Clockwork Orange? Not even a close comparison. Clockwork Orange depicted brutally violent rape scenes that ended in murder and permanent crippling without the use of date rape drugs but with the victims fully conscious. The film was banned in England when it was released which helped promote it's popularity. The subtext of the film is an exploration of the criminal mind and the morality of innovative 'rehabilitation' solutions.

As far as the article goes, I see it as a direct attack on the economy of Thailand designed to produce holiday cancellations without offering a single fact or point of reference to even

verify that this event happened at all. Andrew Drummond should be ashamed of himself for spewing such trash.

True observation but if the story is true I feel sorry for the victims.

I don't understand the plethora of Thai apologists on here. A horrendous crime is alleged to have been committed upon a holidaying couple in Thailand and the Thai police response is said to have been unhelpful.

Yes, the couple could've been more careful, less naive, more wary of strangers, considering especially that they had already travelled the world and were mature professional adults.

Yes, a tabloid report is wont to jazz the story up.

That being said, holiday makers should have a reasonable expectation of safety and, in case of problems, a concerned, compassionate police response. If a country wants to attract visitors, then this shouldn't be regarded as too much of an expectation.

Because of my recent run-ins with Drummond over another "rape" story from Pattaya, I contacted the Uk Embassy myself about this story and there is at least one interesting point raised by them. The report says that the couple lay motionless for two days. Apparently they only reported the case to Police, 4 days after the alleged attack took place. Why did they then take two days, after they had recovered from the effects of the drugs they were given, to report the alleged crime. Another vague story with no real evidence of any assault taking place published by Drummond in the Daily Mail....pattern developing?

Simple, this "story" did not happen !

Also the effects of Midazolam wear off so quick, I took it with alcohol numerous times in my uni days and I really didnt find it anything special at all. The effects would all but wear off in 2-3hrs max, the guy from the story recalls still being in an incapacitated drugged state the next morning and the following 2 days, maybe if they IV'd him with Fentanyl I'd understand but definitly not just with Midazolam. This drug is also very hard to come by in Thai pharmacies and is usually only a special order item, if your on close terms with the pharmacy owner.

Not heard any gossip about this here. Usually anything juicy is being discussed by the locals pretty quickly. The Tourist Police here seem to have a pretty good reputation too, so as it was 'farang on farang' (no innuendo implied) hard to see them sitting on the case and not doing anything, as they have no reason to do this - it wasn't as though locals were involved.

It'd be good to have a few more details about which bar, which beach, where they were staying etc. If they were in a cheap bungalow with plywood walls was there no way to raise the alarm as easy to hear noise through the walls. If they were in a resort most have a daily maid service, but no one noticed them missing or didn't discover them for a couple of days.

Quite a lot of useful info missing that should have been in the article. Can you print your original article, with the detailed ino, on your site Andrew?

the movie 'A Clockwork Orange' came out in the 70's if I remember correctly. Had to be 18 or over to see it. Screwed up movie for sure

Yip - studied it at school for 'O' Level, if I recall.....weird then,weird now

This incident sounds as calculated and de-sensitised as the movie characterisations..... not nice.

Stay safe,

Brewsta

I used to get the Daily Mail Every day in the UK . It went off, They were putting more and more female things in , Seems to me like it was just a bit of sensationalism, By female things i mean about makeup, hair, Womens Cloths,I am not into cross dressing so I changed my paper.

and so on......

I agree.

The only people who can be partly identified are the victims (who asked not to be).

All the people who should have been identified are nameless.

I suppose it was a UK news artical where Thai names would not have meant much.

BACK TO THE POINT - My feelings are with the couple. I hope somehow they can find a way to overcome what has happened. Very sorry to hear about what happened. I hope the police do find the evil bstadas and they get to do their time in a Thai monkey house.

Also why do people keep writing things like another nail in Thailands cofin. Bad things happen all over the world, Thailand is no exception. Thailand is a beautiful country. If you want better police and governments like other countries/home, go there.

I hope the victims are able to recover from this ordeal. I also hope the perpetrators are caught and dealt with. They are not the kind of people we need running around Thailand--or anywhere else.

Let's also remember that these people reported being drugged. They likely don't know which drugs were used and they admit to recall things vaguely, so inconsistencies in their story are to be expected.

Koh Chang has drugs and the border is close, and I have seen date rape drugs being sold at the border with Cambodia, and some crazy stuff has gone on in Thailand, so I don't see why it couldn't be true.

Reminds me of the program I saw on the Frenchmen who went all over the world poisoning killing people in places like Thailand, Nepal, etc. but was a great escape artist. I think they finally got him for good in the last few years.

The report claims they were out of it for 2 days. That doesn't match my experience of date rape drugs.

First time, dodgy bar in Berlin about 8 years ago. I first came round 4 hours later in my 5 star hotel's linen closet, having pissed all over the carpet in my hotel bedroom (the hotel, Berlin's finest, was amazingly discrete, but charged £100 for cleaning). I then awoke at about 2pm (12 hours after the event). I had managed to stagger back to the hotel before the drug knocked me out I think.

Second time (I never learn), Tokyo 4 years ago. Awoke 12 hours later in my hotel bedroom with 2 very large Amex bills in my wallet and no cash. I had been delivered back to the hotel.

I'm not saying the reporter is wrong - just reporting that 2 days seems questionable to me.

I don't advise going into small back street bars in unfamiliar cities if you find that you are one of the only punters in there. Thankfully that devil-may-care adventurous phase of my life has passed