Sawas Dee Bee Mai

Eastender

I notice Dr Pat Pong and others have said 'sawas dee bee mai', happy new year, for Songkran. But I seem to remember a conversation with a Thai who either told me this was Not the correct thing to say during Songkran, or that I should not refer to Songkran as new year. I can't remember which, or was it both?

Or am I imagining it?

(Been away from LOS for a while and can't remember).

I notice Dr Pat Pong and others have said 'sawas dee bee mai', happy new year, for Songkran.  But I seem to remember a conversation with a Thai who either told me this was Not the correct thing to say during Songkran, or that I should not refer to Songkran as new year.  I can't remember which, or was it both?

Or am I imagining it?

Now I could be wrong here :o .....but......

Sawat dii pii mai....translates to Welcome New Year.....the farang New Year.

The Thai New Year is called Songkran...

Perhaps your friend was pointing out that Sawat dii Pii mai refers to the farang New Year and not to the Thai New Year.

I am sure that some of our more linguistically developed friends here could tell you if and what the difference maybe....or maybe one of our Thai members could

I notice Dr Pat Pong and others have said 'sawas dee bee mai', happy new year, for Songkran.  But I seem to remember a conversation with a Thai who either told me this was Not the correct thing to say during Songkran, or that I should not refer to Songkran as new year.  I can't remember which, or was it both?

Or am I imagining it?

Sawat dee pii mai

Sawat dee wan Songkhran

I've heard both forms used by Thais at Songkran

Or am I imagining it?

Sawat dee pii mai

Sawat dee wan Songkhran

I have heard sabai dee pii mai as well...or I think I have :o

Or am I imagining it?

Sawat dee pii mai

Sawat dee wan Songkhran

Yes, but are they copying the farangs?

(In most tourist areas, the Thais talk about "beer SingHA")

Or am I imagining it?

Sawat dee pii mai

Sawat dee wan Songkhran

Sure sounds like the same Thai language I've been listening to for twenty years. Which part do you think they are 'copying' from farangs? I don't see any farang words in there... :o

I've also never heard a Thai say 'Singha' when ordering (though I really don't pay much attention), only 'sing' the Thai word for lion. But singha is what is written on the bottle, so maybe someone might say it as a joke, or maybe when talking to a farang so as to not confuse them...

Maybe it was more like, 'beer sing, haa kuat' (5 bottles) :D

Or am I imagining it?

Sawat dee pii mai

Sawat dee wan Songkhran

Sure sounds like the same Thai language I've been listening to for twenty years. Which part do you think they are 'copying' from farangs? I don't see any farang words in there... :D

The words are correct, point is whether it is/was standard idiomatic usage vs a literal translation by farangs or similar.

I've also never heard a Thai say 'Singha' when ordering (though I really don't pay much attention), only 'sing' the Thai word for lion. But singha is what is written on the bottle, so maybe someone might say it as a joke, or maybe when talking to a farang so as to not confuse them...

Maybe it was more like, 'beer sing, haa kuat' (5 bottles) :D

:D No, not for any of those reasons. They do say it, and it sounds as silly as a farang speaking Thaiglish. :o

Edited by The_Other_Mac

Sure sounds like the same Thai language I've been listening to for twenty years. Which part do you think they are 'copying' from farangs? I don't see any farang words in there...

The words are correct, point is whether it is/was standard idiomatic usage vs a literal translation by farangs or similar.

Sorry, you lost me on that. I don't understand you're asking, or comparing to.

An example, maybe? :o

Don't think I've heared Sawat dee pii mai used much over Songran usually at the "falang" new year. Chineese new year is pretty big up here as well so we get to celabrate 3 new years.

The main greeting they use here over Songran is " gin lao mai" :D

:o And they want to teach me when I respond, 'gin lao Mai Pen'...

I guess the Thai Language 'sawat dee pii mai' banners I saw around downtown CM yesterday were likely leftover from Jan 1st. :D

Hey, it ain't my language, either :D

The main greeting they use here over Songran is " gin lao mai" 

ha ha , same where I am .

BTW you don't say Sawasdi, as so many touristy places write.

It is Sawt di.

Think Sawasdi comes from the transliteration as the Saw Sua at the end of Sawat is pronounced as a T sound in this case and not S. Sawat is of course the correct pronounciation.

Don't think I've heared Sawat dee pii mai used much over Songran usually at the "falang" new year. Chineese new year is pretty big up here as well so we get to celabrate 3 new years.

The main greeting they use here over Songran is " gin lao mai" :o

Well every Thai that greeted me yesterday said it. The different dialects and sayings for different areas maybe?

The main greeting they use here over Songran is " gin lao mai" :o

Well every Thai that greeted me yesterday said it. The different dialects and sayings for different areas maybe?

Jackr

I posted this just after that, still dont hear it much though

I take back what I said earlier, heard it of two blokes this evening talking to my mother-in-law. They had'nt seen her for a while and dont usually live here so I've got a feeling that yes it is used but more formal.

The gin lao mai bit still satnds smile.gif

Or am I imagining it?

Sawat dee pii mai

Sawat dee wan Songkhran

Because they are synonymous, according to my hi-so Thai neighbour. Believe me, she is never wrong, with the possible exception of her choice of neighbour... :o:D