Ubuntu

JAS21

Guys, sorry that this is a little long but hopefully someone can help. I have always used Windows OS, as it came with the PCs that I have bought. Now I actually have Win7 Ultimate, am using Microsoft Security Essentials, Advanced System Care and testing security at grc.com it all looks really good.

I use the computer for internet banking, reading the daily papers, e-mail, skype, keeping photos etc, o and I think that the wife looks at redtube occasionally. So the progs. I have are MS Office, Internet Download Manager etc, nothing special at all.

So I read about Ubuntu and have seen some of you guys rating it and after reading a bit it looks like I will give it a try. So what I want to know is how do I get back to Win7 if I want to. I do have a disk image made by Win7 and in addition also all my data files ‘copied’ onto an external hard drive. My internal drive is partitioned with all data on D:/ . I of course also have the Win7 disc and Product Key.

As I keep all my ‘personal’ details on a USB drive I only really have concerns that nobody is ‘logging’ my bank ‘log on’ details. I have Wi-Fi and use WEP.

So some comments and advice please, easiest way to install Ubuntu and how to get back…..thanks

Edited by tomat
Removed request for moving topic to Linux forum

Just download an ISO from the Ubuntu website and burn it to CD. Then stick it in your computer and restart to begin the installation process. Choose the option to install Ubuntu in free space (do not choose the option to wipe the whole disk). This will let you have both Windows and Ubuntu on your hard drive, and you can choose which one to run at boot time. It is quite painless procedure. Actually if you just want to test Ubuntu you don't even need to install it, there is an option to run it 'live' from the CD.

Re. your WIFI, its a good idea to get rid of WEP encryption as it has been broken and doesn't offer much security anymore. If your equipment allows, change to WPA2, which is currently thought to be bulletproof.

Edited by Crushdepth

Ubuntu (or Mint) will do all you want out of the box with no special configuration required.

I use Ubuntu 9.10 but having looked at Mint which is a branch of Ubuntu I think you may find Mint easier if you are familiar with Windows. All Ubuntu programs work with Mint.

Download both the Mint and Ubuntu live CD's see whcih one you prefer and then go for it.

Either way should you decide to proceed with Linux, there are lots of people here willing to give you a hand.

Lastly as stated by Crushdepth change your WiFi encryption protocol. Latest reports state that an experienced hacker can crack your WEP code in less than a minute

I am still waiting since a long time for someone to offer inexpensive LINUX/UBUNTU-lessons in BKK, so a Computer-DUMMIE such as myself can finally make the move away from Windows too ^^

Why wait? Google is a good place to start. There's plenty of resources available on the web. Do some reading, engage yourself with the Linux community; you'll find making the transition much easier than expected.

If it makes you feel any better, we were all "n00bs" at one time or another.

I am still waiting since a long time for someone to offer inexpensive LINUX/UBUNTU-lessons in BKK, so a Computer-DUMMIE such as myself can finally make the move away from Windows too ^^

Why wait? Google is a good place to start. There's plenty of resources available on the web. Do some reading, engage yourself with the Linux community; you'll find making the transition much easier than expected.

If it makes you feel any better, we were all "n00bs" at one time or another.

that does never work for me. usually I will be stuck after no longer than 1 minute, because I don't understand what they are talking about on those websites.

I need someone to TEACH me in PERSON, someone I can annoy with my silly DUMMIE-questions all the time ^^

Just download an ISO from the Ubuntu website and burn it to CD. Then stick it in your computer and restart to begin the installation process. Choose the option to install Ubuntu in free space (do not choose the option to wipe the whole disk). This will let you have both Windows and Ubuntu on your hard drive, and you can choose which one to run at boot time. It is quite painless procedure. Actually if you just want to test Ubuntu you don't even need to install it, there is an option to run it 'live' from the CD.

Re. your WIFI, its a good idea to get rid of WEP encryption as it has been broken and doesn't offer much security anymore. If your equipment allows, change to WPA2, which is currently thought to be bulletproof.

Thanks I’ll down load the ISO and then use CDBurnerXP and give it a go.

Now WAP2, I have a Linksys WAG160N wireless router and have changed it to WAP2 (personal). However it already showed a Pre Shared Key and using that key the computer would talk to the router, however when I changed the key I could not get any communication between the two..any idea why?

Also I tried to get step-daughter laptop working on WAP2, but it wouldn’t. Her card is a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. I have downloaded the latest driver for it and I read that others have got WAP2 working with that card..again any ideas.

When I changed the key on my computer it said ’settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network’…and it said the same when I tried it on hers…ideas?...thanks

You can demo Ubuntu without installing it on your computer. << If you haven't used Linux before, consider taking this route.

More information here:

LiveCD - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Thanks..I typing this from Ubuntu using the live CD........somehow I got connected to my router.....it's not working wirelessly...am having to use the cable............I'll play more tomorrow......thanks

Thanks I’ll down load the ISO and then use CDBurnerXP and give it a go.

Now WAP2, I have a Linksys WAG160N wireless router and have changed it to WAP2 (personal). However it already showed a Pre Shared Key and using that key the computer would talk to the router, however when I changed the key I could not get any communication between the two..any idea why?

Also I tried to get step-daughter laptop working on WAP2, but it wouldn’t. Her card is a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. I have downloaded the latest driver for it and I read that others have got WAP2 working with that card..again any ideas.

When I changed the key on my computer it said ’settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network’…and it said the same when I tried it on hers…ideas?...thanks

Fixed it...with the help on Linksys chat..they are very helpful