Bangkok's Riskiest Areas

webfact

Wow, I am surprised and I would like to know the types of crimes. I live in what I always thought was a safe area. My area didn't even warrant a mention. I was told it wasn't, although the housing estate I live in is very safe. Then one night coming home I see the dead body in the middle of the road. The guy had been shot by the police (I think for drug dealing). Then there were the rumors of rapes and robberies.

I don't feel 'unsafe' walking down it, but maybe ignorance was bliss....now I make sure I take transport to the end of the soi.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok's still about 1,000,000 times safer than most big cities in the western world.

I agree. I always feel safer in any area of Thailand compaired to the USA. True every place in the world has it's problems but Thailand always seems different.

I WALKED the streets of Detroit last year for three month. Sometimes at night about 2-3 in the morning on my way back from a nice bar or from work, NEVER something happend and that after all my collegues which are visiting Detroit since more than 14years, told me DONT WALK NIGHTTIME....people are outstanding friendly, nearly everybody says HELLO even if they are totally strangers. So whats all the fuss about US streets and dangerous?

I guess the most americans post here NEVER WALKED on a street at nightime in their country because they are born scared.

I am from Berlin Germany and there are parts where you better not walk at night....and NOBODY will say Hello...except for the following ....give me your money :)

Bangkok is pretty save when you stay away from the TAXI and Tuk Tuk Mafia guys. I guess the "Report" doesnt count that in, otherwise the biggest crime areas are Patpong, Silom and Sukhumvit close to Nana Plaza :D :D :D

I live in La Salle (Lasarn, Suk 105), have done for two years, the Bangkok Pattana International school is in the same Soi, I am sure all the embassy personnel will be pleased to hear that their children go to supposedly the best school in Bangkok in the third riskiest Soi in Bangkok!! Seriously, I walk alone, at night in this area, often and have never felt threatened or at risk. I love the Soi, to me it encapsulates the rich variety that is Bangkok. About the only thing it doesn't have is the girly bars.

I couldn't agree more!

Having lived on La Salle for 2 1/2 years myself, I've never felt at risk and I also walk around a night to the local markets and noodlebars, not once have I felt threatened. I was living in SE London before here and there would be more problems in a week, than I've known of in 2 1/2 years on La Salle.

I'm sure there's alot going on that an average farang doesn't see or hear about, but I'd be happier wandering around most of Bangkok late at night than I would most of SE London.

I have never felt at risk of any crime in the states, what always makes me nervous when going there is the police and the homeland security mentality. Here in Thailand, even though the justice system is a joke, and nobody, either foreign or Thai wants to have to be involved with it, the cops in America stop anybody and everybody they want, because they are trained to harass, and seem to be looking for the points that come with every arrest. Thailand sure has it's problems, but the US has become such a police state, I'd rather live here. just MHO.

Yes, I agree. This was always a likely consequence of the terror attacks on the US; that the US would clamp down so hard on civil liberties which they claim to protect. Should have turned the cheek.

Bangkok still feels like the safest city I have ever lived in although I will qualify that by saying I have lived outside BKK for few years now. I would also qualify it by saying I did some pretty stupid and inadvisable things and even once lived in an apartment block half full of gunmen in BKK and still never felt worried.

However, the safety I feel there is not the same as how many Thai friends tell me they feel. It may be that being a foreigner makes you safer or at least feel that way than being a local.

Judging by the areas listed, I think the list is based on not only violent crime (robbery, rape, assault etc.), but all crimes reported (pickpocketing surely, maybe also jaywalking and littering).

Victory Monument is apparently in top 5 "riskiest" areas, and I have never heard of anything remotely dangerous happening (excluding the New Year's bombing few years ago). There is probably a fair amount of pickpocketing (by Bangkok standards), given millions of commuters that pass through.

When it comes to violent crime, Bangkok certainly has a high perception of safety. It is very rare to encounter shady-looking characters (say, pahnandlers that approach), with no "normal" people around. If you walk around most U.S. areas at night, there will be nobody around, and almost everyone you encounter will be someone you wish was not there and would keep away.

In Bangkok, your risk of ending up murdered due to a dispute that got out of hand may well be high, but you won't get randomly mugged at knife or gunpoint.

Bangkok still feels like the safest city I have ever lived in although I will qualify that by saying I have lived outside BKK for few years now. I would also qualify it by saying I did some pretty stupid and inadvisable things and even once lived in an apartment block half full of gunmen in BKK and still never felt worried.

However, the safety I feel there is not the same as how many Thai friends tell me they feel. It may be that being a foreigner makes you safer or at least feel that way than being a local.

It is all a question of perception. In the past year we had several shoot outs between gangs in the Soi where i live (which is not in an area named in the article). I do not feel that Bangkok is particularly safe.

Hahaha I must be attracted to the "risky" parts of Bangkok then, I started life in Soi Lasalle 105, 15 years ago when my dad taught in Bangkok Patana school, my family then moved to Lad Prao 101, then I moved to Soi Suphapong ..... never had any trouble in any of the places, and after living in south east london for my childhood and teen years I can safe I feel a lot safer walking the streets of Bangkok.

Soi Suphapong is in Bangna, opposite Seacon Square, there are actually about 10 Soi Suphapong all adjoined to eachother, never felt at risk there, always go to the night market at 3am to get some food to line the stomach :)

The problem I see a lot of people have in BKK. Is the perceived safety.

They feel safe because of the smiles, the fun, the alcohol and of course the Thai's focus on avoiding confrontation wherever possible.

Now say the confrontation barrier is broken - This is when BKK becomes one of the most dangerous places to be. The Thais will not think twice about assisting a thai in a confrontation against a foreigner even tho they are not involved. And when they do get into a fight they really don't understand the concept of when enough is enough. Seen it so many times they will not stop until you either dead, or unconscious and seriously injured and will spend a lot of time in a hospital.

The police they may turn up 30 mins later have a look do nothing unless they can profit from it. Ambulance may turn up from a quality hopsital if you are very lucky if it can get through the traffic which do not giveway to ambulances. or if your unlucky with your neck and spine injury they might pick you up and through u in the back of a pickup and take you to the local goverment hospital.

Drink driving in thailand: Far greater occurrence here than similar cities in the west. followed by the increased rate of hit and run's.

If you are successful in your business in Thailand you need be careful. Tea Money, Threats from competitors and indeed murder attempts are all too common. The amount of uncontrolled unlicensed guns is quite frankly frightening in BKK.

I am just skimming the surface here. But underneath all those smiles and the perceived safety of BKK - It's actually far from it and those who understand the culture and people will tell you the same. You ask a Thai is BKK safe? 9 times out of 10 they will tell you not really.

Bangkok's still about 1,000,000 times safer than most big cities in the western world.

1,000,000 may be a bit of hyperbole :) , but coming from the US - NYC & ATL - I can certainly chime in that BKK is by far safer than almost any neighborhood there.

As far as the complaints about arguments escalating, again in the US this is also an issue. But at least here in BKK, in my experience, Thais do not go out looking for it. Unless alcohol is involved, and with that, all bets are off - worldwide.

The Nation shows again that it is not a really serious newspaper. Over 5000 risk spots so what? Risky for what reason? Getting killed while crossing the street, bumping into a prostitute, being robbed, or maybe is it risky because the manholes are removed from the pavement? Why is the Nation always resorting to populist stories and never publishing real statistics?

Furthermore we all know that the riskiest spot is not soi Lard Prao, every Thai will be able to point out that this is Bahn Pitsanulok, where crime is an art. Although, in the circles of the people who read the Nation, it is fully accepted that the elite may steal from the country, in those circles it is not considered a crime but a virtue.

The problem I see a lot of people have in BKK. Is the perceived safety.

They feel safe because of the smiles, the fun, the alcohol and of course the Thai's focus on avoiding confrontation wherever possible.

Now say the confrontation barrier is broken - This is when BKK becomes one of the most dangerous places to be. The Thais will not think twice about assisting a thai in a confrontation against a foreigner even tho they are not involved. And when they do get into a fight they really don't understand the concept of when enough is enough. Seen it so many times they will not stop until you either dead, or unconscious and seriously injured and will spend a lot of time in a hospital.

The police they may turn up 30 mins later have a look do nothing unless they can profit from it. Ambulance may turn up from a quality hopsital if you are very lucky if it can get through the traffic which do not giveway to ambulances. or if your unlucky with your neck and spine injury they might pick you up and through u in the back of a pickup and take you to the local goverment hospital.

Drink driving in thailand: Far greater occurrence here than similar cities in the west. followed by the increased rate of hit and run's.

If you are successful in your business in Thailand you need be careful. Tea Money, Threats from competitors and indeed murder attempts are all too common. The amount of uncontrolled unlicensed guns is quite frankly frightening in BKK.

I am just skimming the surface here. But underneath all those smiles and the perceived safety of BKK - It's actually far from it and those who understand the culture and people will tell you the same. You ask a Thai is BKK safe? 9 times out of 10 they will tell you not really.

This is a sensible reply from an expeienced person. Granted there is far less random crime here than, say, Rio, it does happen. As does the other stuff. And just because people here have lived in certain areas for years and never experienced anything bad happen to them, does not mean it never will.

Or that it never will to other people. As Namoo says : Ask a Thai what they think of Bangkok.

Many girls never go out alone even during the day. Or even get in a taxi with a female friend at night......they take a male friend too.

Edited by Latindancer

Safety in Bangkok is up to you, be vigilant and put extra locks on your doors. The one time I really needed the police they could barely be made to take action, it would have meant paperwork and time away from hassling cyclists for bribes, so whatever they come up with is laughable. Bangkok is, compared to most big cities, still amazingly safe, but I wouldn't give the police any credit for it.

Edited by JatujakShopper

Oh really. Please quote your source :) or is that just your own possibly naive perception of BKK?

Marseille, Paris, Barcelona, Rio, Copa, Mexico, Tangiers, Dehli,....to name a few (not necessarily in that order and certainly not exhaustive)

Wherelse can you have a stroll at any time of the night (or the day for that matter) without being threatened : obviously there have been cases and there will be more but I consider Thai people as honest when it comes to that

In 2007, there was a Bkk newspaper article listing the following high-crime areas:

Robbery:

Lat Phrao 23

Rangsit 64

Soi Suan Pak in Taling Chan District

Drugs:

Soi Pirom in Samphanthawong district

Soi Charan Sanitwong 89

Spo Ruam Baksa in Huai Kwang district

Soi Wat Makok on Ratchawithi

Sexual Assault:

Charan Sanitwong 37

Charoen Nakhon 23Brawls

Soi Wimutayaram in Bang Phlat district

Brawls:

Ramkhamhaeng Soi 8

Soi Wimutayaram in Bang Phlat district

Looks like the Bkk Police have made some progress in shifting the criminals around. :)

Adding to statement about safety of BKK to other cities and particularly to the statement about the safety of American cities:

Yes, the police state of the US is scary -- just watch the horrible "Cops" or other reality shows sometime.

BUT - in general, the US is very unsafe, crime wise and personal safety wise. I moved here from San Francisco, statistically one of the safest of all US cities. Yet, when I visit, I always fear from my personal safety, just walking down the street (and I mean in daylight). I am dumb struck at the number of people that seem to want to do harm to others on the street for no good reason!

There are so many homeless, drugged and generally deranged wandering the streets -- many of demand your money ("spare change") and if you refuse - or don't offer enough - will attempt to harm you! As one who worked with these very people in the past, I can tell you that most are NOT simply the "mentally ill" (although about 25% are, dumped on the streets under the draconian policies of the conservative god, Ronald Reagan) -- most are drug addicts looking for free handouts so they can get to the next 'hit'.

No, US cities are not safe.

Yes, Bangkok is one of the, if not THE, safest city in the world -- it's one reason I choose to live here.

PS - Let's not forget that BKK had even less 'street crime' until the biggest crook of them all, former PM-on-the-lam Thaksin, did away with many sources of income ("underground" lottery; street vending in many areas and on every Monday; late night/late hours for all but criminal operations...).

It's a bit weird though. I think I heard in the news yesterday night that the most dangerous area was "Sukhumvit 101", not "Lardprao 101". They also interview some people from the area as well. It was about 10-11 p.m., but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was having some late night snack in another room, so maybe I was wrong.

The news said that the reason was because there are many shortcuts to other streets in that Soi. The interviewees said that most people who lived that have experienced some crime either directly or as a witness. Most crime is the bag snatching, but also mugging at night. That's all I remembered.

IMO, I think Sukhumvit is much more dangerous place than Lardprao. Lardprao is kind of boring place and not as crowded as Sukhumvit.

Oh really. Please quote your source :) or is that just your own possibly naive perception of BKK?

well, 1 million is just a metter of saying.

would you find a big city outside Asia with such low crime as Bangkok ?

I guess you wouldn t . Even in Asia, Bangkok is by far one of the safest cities with crime rate per inhabitant.

The number of robberies, bank robberies, violent crime is ridicolously low.

That doesn t mean it needs to be underestimated.... it is ok they try to prevent it to get higher...

In 11 years in Thailand, i have just seen a couple of bag snatches (myself too one teeneger snatched my laptop but few Thai guys got him)...

I wouldn t tell you in 2 HOURS in a Latin American capital with a 10 times few population of Bangkok I have seen 3 bank robberies with bullets everywhere, one guy stabbed, one guy kicked to death and two more assaults ...

After more than a decade in Central and South America, i feel in the paradise here in Southwest Asia...

On the issue of safety, Bangkok is NOTHING like what it was 20 years ago. It has become an overly expensive and crime-stricken city. This place has degraded so much to the point where I no longer recommend it to friends. Anyone who has lived here as long as I have will probably agree with me that a lot has changed, but not for the better. Those of you saying, "it's safe" -- well, just know that many violent crimes aren't reported in the English press. The Thai local press is riddled with this stuff. Compared to many other western cities, Bangkok is anything BUT safe. Go talk to the locals, they will tell you exactly how it is.

On the issue of safety, Bangkok is NOTHING like what it was 20 years ago. It has become an overly expensive and crime-stricken city. This place has degraded so much to the point where I no longer recommend it to friends. Anyone who has lived here as long as I have will probably agree with me that a lot has changed, but not for the better. Those of you saying, "it's safe" -- well, just know that many violent crimes aren't reported in the English press. The Thai local press is riddled with this stuff. Compared to many other western cities, Bangkok is anything BUT safe. Go talk to the locals, they will tell you exactly how it is.

At last someone who knows what they are talking about....

BKK Safe :)

I agree. I always feel safer in any area of Thailand compaired to the USA. True every place in the world has it's problems but Thailand always seems different.

"Feeling safer" and actually being safer are very different. If you stay in your home and/or do not stay out late at night of course you will have the perception of "feeling safer". It is simply a product of the human condition dealing with perception which serves as some peoples reality. Go out late at night in an unlit area of Bangkok while not paying attention to what going on around you, eventually your reality will change.

This other guy who thinks Bangkok is a million times safer the most places in the western world is of course delusional. He is the one who does not keep informed about the world around him and his rational thought comes into question from time to time. His global observation has as much forethought as another blanket statement we see on these pages too often. "She's different", the battle cry of the next victim in the love and war threads.

The police hierarchy loves to spout crime prevention and tout their successes real and imagined. Do not take anything that is released to the press at face value. In a weak economy (hard times) crime WILL increase. Figures can be manipulated or simply ignored. When a report is taken the police can report a lesser offense or not tabulate it at all. Knowing what goes on around here I suspect reports are "kissed off" with tales of, "there is nothing we can do" or "you don't want anyone to know about this", etc.

My concern is that crimes reported to the police are not widely reported to the public. The ones that are reported are usually ones that have been solved and captains of police on up are doing a lot of smiling, pointing, back slapping while talking on there mobile telephones for the news cameras. The majority of major crimes we can never know about because the nation will lose face and it will hurt tourism. The crimes we should really know about that occur in our neighborhoods are not reported in the press. Therefore we cannot take precautions or evasive action because of the lack of information. Is it just me or are there too many farang taking the "Pattaya Plunge" or shooting themselves twice in the head when committing suicide here in Thailand?