Baht Buses

naka

I think that, in the main, the Baht Buses provide a good, cheap service - I'm even happy to pay the Farang price because this is still peanuts and the drivers do have to make a living.

I have found the unpredictability of the route taken to be a bit irritating though. 99% of BB going up 2nd road will go past Big C and then turn left at the dolphin and proceed back along beach road. The occasional one will go to Naklua (and if you want to go there you would probably ask) but the irritating ones are those that decide to turn right up Pattaya Klang - and then where? Some sort of route indicator on the BB would be useful. I believe that, unless they are on a private charter, they are supposed to stick to defined routes anyway, so this would not be difficult.

I've only ever had one serious dispute with a BB driver and that was when I was on beach road, wanting to turn left up to the Pattaya Tai / 2nd road junction. Hopped in, as normal, somewhere near Hard Rock and a bit further down the road the driver stopped to pick up some Japanese. Some discourse with the driver took place and then we set off again. When we got to Walking Street, instead of turning left he carried straight on - I think that the Japs must have chartered him. I pressed the bell immediately and got off. The driver then demanded 100 Baht 'for going inside'. Needless to say, he didn't get it, although we had a bit of an argument.

OK, hold onto your seats.

This is strange but true.

I took a baht bus from Jomtien as far as Mikes Shopping Mall, the baht bus stopped for whatever, and refused ANY PAYMENT.

I really wanted to go all the way to Pattaya Klang, but I was so flabergasted that I gave the driver 5 baht anyway for the benefit of international relations.

This was refused a few times before being accepted.

Of course, most of the drivers are rude maniacs ...

The reality is the drivers are victims of a corrupt system that forces them to work very long hours for almost no profit, and you can't really blame them for overcharging farangs, but you can blame them for violent criminal behavior.

Edited by Thaiquila

fourbaht,2005-04-18 07:13:04:

>Sixpack

Fourbaht?

>You are a tight arse winging farrang.

It IS Fourbaht. I'm ready for some real insight now.

>kerry did get a good deal, 100 baht for a trip home and her shopping carried >upstairs.

You don't even know the amount. It was 150 baht, economics guru. :o

>You can complain all you want, tight arsed low budget long term farrangs

You have no idea of my budget, of course. Seems you are just another windbag Brit. I AIN'T impressed or intimidated.

>who complain all day because they have nothing else to do or cannot afford to >do anything else.

I'm gonna keep on complaining, pal. If you don't like it, take your own advice and leave. Should be a good test of your sincerity and spare the forum the hot air.

>I agree with Dave if you don't like it P1ss off home and pay through your nose >for an aircon taxi in the UK or USA.

Nobody has the slightest interest who you agree or disagree with. Pretending to be relevant doesn't make you in the least relevant, now does it?

>Are you telling us the black cabs in the UK who charge you just to open the door >are not a monopoly and a rip off?

Not telling "us," since everyone but you knows that in the UK you can choose to ride the bus or the Underground or a different cab.

>Get a life <deleted>. Same for any other tight wad cheap charlies out there.

I'll be looking out for your gold-plated Benz parked out in front of The Dog's <deleted> next time I happen to go down Soi Yamato. :D

I do think you should impress us all with examples of the amounts you've overspent, however.

>Any one who gets ripped off here is probably getting ripped of where ever they >go, most have sucker stamped on their foreheads.

No, transportation markets are competitive and fair in many places of the world.

>A good deal is a deal you are happy with

We can only assume that it was just this profound grasp of economics that enabled you to create your vast financial empire. Have you perhance discussed this with George Soros yet? More, please. References?

>and if thats 100 baht to get home

Yawn. Round and round . . . .

fourbaht,2005-04-18 07:13:04:

>Sixpack

Fourbaht?

>You are a tight arse winging farrang.

It IS Fourbaht. I'm ready for some real insight now.

>kerry did get a good deal, 100 baht for a trip home and her shopping carried >upstairs.

You don't even know the amount. It was 150 baht, economics guru. :o

>You can complain all you want, tight arsed low budget long term farrangs

You have no idea of my budget, of course. Seems you are just another windbag Brit. I AIN'T impressed or intimidated.

>who complain all day because they have nothing else to do or cannot afford to >do anything else.

I'm gonna keep on complaining, pal. If you don't like it, take your own advice and leave. Should be a good test of your sincerity and spare the forum the hot air.

>I agree with Dave if you don't like it P1ss off home and pay through your nose >for an aircon taxi in the UK or USA.

Nobody has the slightest interest who you agree or disagree with. Pretending to be relevant doesn't make you in the least relevant, now does it?

>Are you telling us the black cabs in the UK who charge you just to open the door >are not a monopoly and a rip off?

Not telling "us," since everyone but you knows that in the UK you can choose to ride the bus or the Underground or a different cab.

>Get a life <deleted>. Same for any other tight wad cheap charlies out there.

I'll be looking out for your gold-plated Benz parked out in front of The Dog's <deleted> next time I happen to go down Soi Yamato.  :D

I do think you should impress us all with examples of the amounts you've overspent, however.

>Any one who gets ripped off here is probably getting ripped of where ever they >go, most have sucker stamped on their foreheads.

No, transportation markets are competitive and fair in many places of the world.

>A good deal is a deal you are happy with

We can only assume that it was just this profound grasp of economics that enabled you to create your vast financial empire.  Have you perhance discussed this with George Soros yet? More, please. References?

>and if thats 100 baht to get home

Yawn. Round and round . . . .

Very confusing response - could you not respond in a different colour, such as RED or GREEN ???

My opinion - baht buses are used (and used a lot) by the low-paid Thai public. The fact that farangs use them as well, either tourists or residents, is just a by-product of the basic service. The locals know which ones go to Jomtien, which turn right at Pattaya Klang, so on. I don't know how, but my wife says 'not that one' / 'get this one' and without fail they go where we want.

There are too many on the popular routes, too few going up Soi 17 to Tepparasit, but that;s about my only complaint. Oh, no, another one - they don't seem to go down soi Korpai.

There are many taxis available for those who need the comfort / security of a taxi-meter. Just collect the telephone numbers of the people offering 800 baht trips to Bangkok. Almost all will do local trips at taxi-meter rates as well. And most people on the telephone lines speak English.

I hate baht busses because of the unfair pricing policy. Pattaya is a real international destination and it's rediculous to be controlled by this racial policy.

Do you know you can go a very long distance on the baht busses on Sukhumvit for only 5 baht farrangs and thais together? It's not "pattaya baht bus cooperative controlled" on that route.

We're paying double price just to be jacked. The routes need to be defined on maps and color coded so we actually know exactly where we are going when we step in!

The poster who said if they were all 5 baht and we all paid the same thing, then things would be fine and dandy. It's rediculous that I pay 10B for myself and then 5B for the thai female that is with me.

The reality is the drivers are victims of a corrupt system that forces them to work very long hours for almost no profit,

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an average baht bus drive takes ฿300 p/h,that's ฿3,000 for a 10hour day,that's ฿21,000 a week,that's ฿90,000 a month,that's enough to pay 22.5 normal workers. And that's only on ฿5 a pick up

The reality is the drivers are victims of a corrupt system that forces them to work very long hours for almost no profit,

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an average baht bus drive takes ฿300 p/h,that's ฿3,000 for a 10hour day,that's ฿21,000 a week,that's ฿90,000 a month,that's enough to pay 22.5 normal workers. And that's only on ฿5 a pick up

Shit 90k, where do I apply. A high paying job like that should be farang only.

OK, This could be interesting (how much do the drivers make?).

Where did you get this information?

I was told by a local who was considering being a baht bus driver that drivers never own the buses, must pay a huge daily lease fee to the owning "company", and would be lucky to make 200 to 300 baht profit for a ten hour, hot, grueling, day.

So, which is it?

Do you really, seriously believe baht bus drivers are wealthy?

There are so many of them and so many of them are driving empty.

I don't like the double pricing either. The tourism authority of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves for tolerating this. But it is tolerated, and it is not our country, so what are we supposed to do about it? Little choice, really. Pay up, risk violence, or go elsewhere.

Oh, and I am not clear on who pays for the petrol.

Edited by Thaiquila

I was told by a local who was considering being a baht bus driver that drivers never own the buses, must pay a huge daily lease fee to the owning "company", and would be lucky to make 200 to 300 baht profit for a ten hour, hot, grueling, day.

So, which is it?

I don't like the double pricing either. The tourism authority of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves for tolerating this. But it is tolerated, and it is not our country, so what are we supposed to do about it? Little choice, really. Pay up, risk violence, or go elsewhere.

I have hardly ever seen an empty Baht bus on two road. Most of them have about four pax for a three or four minute ride.That's between 300-400 baht/hour.OK it's not the high season now,but in the high,a lot of them turnover over a hundred pax/hr. Think about it. Sometimes you have to wait five mins for one with just two places in.

So, which is it?

I have hardly ever seen an empty Baht bus on two road. Most of them have about four pax for a three or four minute ride.That's between 300-400 baht/hour.OK it's not the high season now,but in the high,a lot of them turnover over a hundred pax/hr. Think about it. Sometimes you have to wait five mins for one with just two places in.

I ride buses with one or very few passengers QUITE OFTEN. It is very common. I find your experience hard to believe. Your fantasies about the opulent lifestyles of baht bus drivers reminds me of the mythology of welfare queens that you hear in the US. Think about it. The buses are not owned by the drivers. The people making the money are the OWNERS! I am not making excuses for rude, criminal, crazy drivers, but there is far more to it than just them.

Edited by Thaiquila

So, which is it?

I ride buses with one or very few passengers QUITE OFTEN. It is very common. I find your experience hard to believe. Your fantasies about the opulent lifestyles of baht bus drivers reminds me of the mythology of welfare queens that you hear in the US. Think about it. The buses are not owned by the drivers. The people making the money are the OWNERS! I am not making excuses for rude, criminal, crazy drivers, but there is far more to it than just them.

Actually, I did mention really how much they make; just how much they take.

I still cannot understand why anyone would happily pay double the fare.I have lived here many years,do not often use the baht bus but when I do I always give a five bahy coin and walk away..only once has the driver complained and I did not bother to stop or answer.

I spoke to a friend of mine re. this and he said he does the same

I remember reading that the taxis at samuii airport now charge 300 baht [no offers] to take you to your hotel...When I first went to samuii 10 baht on a baht bus took you anywhere till you got off.

Start happily overpaying and there is no end in sight....

Jsixpack

I assume this reffers to the fact you have a beer gut from the amount of six packs you drink gut rather than a good muscle formation?

I am Brit and not proud or ashamed hence the avatar. Were can I find you? Shagwells?

As you so rightly stated in the UK there are choices, as there are in Pattaya, take a taxi bike or walk if you dont like baht busses.

Better still buy a car, they do finance for expats now you know if you can't afford cash.

I am not complaining merely expressing an opinion on your stature. I doubt I am the only one in Pattaya who thinks you are a tight arse.

You think tipping is over spending, or paying what you think something is worth is over spending?

If so then my original statement was very correct you are a tight arse.

I doubt you will see me at any time in the DB but I would like to see your post after having gone in their looking and calling them windbags..

p414

I will keep an eye out for the news headline on the local news channels.

"Tight arse farrang beaten sensless by baht bus drivers wife"

Why do you tight wads all feel exploited when you are asked to pay what is still a very reasonable fare?

I can only assume there is a deep seated fear of having to go home that would make you look after your money so well.

I bet you two are great fun to go out and party with, I can see you both now sitting counting your separate bills as you leave the bar.

From your last post you are here for a good time...

I had my good time when young,I have no need to show the world what a great wag I am.

You need have no fears ,I would never seek out your company so keep having your 'good times' mostly spent under the tables with an empty wallet,and katoeys running off down the soi with the contents,I imagine.

Some of us were not so unsightly that we did not have a good time when younger,and have no need to recapture lost youth...our own or other's.

JSixpack, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'd rather pay the fare price for a metered aircon taxi any day than pay 5b for those hot, noisy, stinky and rude bahtbusses.

Oh, and as I have a house and live here I can't just ask the hotel reciption for a taxi. Yes, I have a car (or two) but sometimes we're going out for a nice dinner and some drinks and would rather take a taxi.

Edited by madsere

p414

Read my original post and you will see I am a family man here for 7 years with 2 children. I rarely go out to party, are you reading the same forum as everyone else?

I am just not a cheap charlie who feels 10 baht is a rip off or who cannot sleep for worring that I might be exploited the following day.

Now I understand that we are all different, its what makes the world an interesting place, I just thank my lucky stars I am different to all of you cheap charlies and that I am able to enjoy my life without worring about 5 baht.

I can assure you there is more to life in Pattaya than 5 baht

(or fourbaht for that matter)

Lighten up live dangerously leave a tip!

'Lighten up'..'live dangerously'..'leave a tip'...???...still having a good time?

Read MY post..all

Where do you draw the line at being ripped off?[or don't you?]

I have lived in thailand twice as long as you..not just Pattaya.

As i said samuii used to be 10 baht to anywhere..now you do not leave the airport[so I am informed,but correct me if I'm wrong]for under 3oo baht...

If service is good I leave a good tip,If not so good I leave a smaller tip..

You do what you want -but remember that it is those that enjoy being ripped off that eventually spoil a place.

Eventually what were once good local people,happy to give service for reasonable repayment are replaced by greedy lazy irrespectful money grabbers.

You know if double pricing really bothers you, it is an offence under the current constitution (discrimnation by race creed or color), however no one has yet to take this to the constitutional court, maybe you should have a go, put your money where your mouth is so to speak?

Sorry I forgot you are a tight arse..

In my eyes I have never overpaid, because I base my judgment on what I think a service is worth, not on what others pay for the same service as you seem to be doing.

5 baht for some one who earns 3000 baht a month so I should pay 5 baht even though its worth more and I can afford more is the atitude you have, now that sounds really grown up and mature. Sort of reminds me of kids with toys, he has one so I want one.

Come on is a 300 baht taxi ride (4.00 pounds or $7.00) really spoiling a place. it was 10 baht 14 years ago ( as you say you have been here double the time I have) do you really expect it to still be 10 baht?

Get real, maybe you have been here too long and need a touch of reality back in the west.

WASTE OF MY TIME WRITING ANY MORE IN RESPONSE TO YOU..YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL IN...

'IN MY EYES I HAVE NEVER BEEN OVERCHARGED'.

THEN YOU TELL ME TO GO TO THE COURT IF I THINK I HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGED?.......

How long have you lived here?

bye.

JSixpack, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'd rather pay the fare price for a metered aircon taxi any day than pay 5b for those hot, noisy, stinky and rude bahtbusses.

Oh, and as I have a house and live here I can't just ask the hotel reciption for a taxi. Yes, I have a car (or two) but sometimes we're going out for a nice dinner and some drinks and would rather take a taxi.

I get very good service from 050890713 - a taxi service that advertises BKK airport for 800 baht (many of these services in Pattaya). I phoned them and asked if they would do local trips - no problem.

Another one (Khun Pae) at 01 925 0673. Speaks reasonable English.

I've only ever felt really p1ssed off in Pattaya when some to55er tried charging me and the missus 20B a piece from the bottom of soi 8 to Walking St. The rest of the time its just an annoying niggle but still bad enough.

I know its all too easy to say 'its only 5B/10B' etc. but when you're using them all day for a week and you have the missus with you as well it soon mounts up. I bet you wouldn't stand for being ripped off in your own country even if it was 5c or 10p each time.

Its worth noting that the Baht Bus drivers in Samui are ripping off ******s. Far, far worse than the odd 5B here and there in Pattaya.

As for those who say Baht Bus drivers are slaves to the owners, I wonder how the owners know how many people they take on board every day? I'd guess that its a similar deal to Bangkok taxis where the drivers lease the taxi from the owners so I'd be more inclined to go along with Lampard's estimates.