British Expats And Tourists Encouraged To Register With New Embassy Tracking System

webfact

Brits encouraged to sign up with tracking system

gallery_327_1086_26708.jpg

The campaign launch in Bangkok

PHUKET CITY: British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle is encouraging all British subjects who live or travel to Phuket or other parts of Thailand to register their presence here using a new on-line service set up by the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

The Click on this link! campaign encourages British Nationals to use LOCATE, an online system, to register their contact and next of kin details.

"Whether you are visiting Thailand on holiday, flying in for a business trip or simply reside in this beautiful land of smiles, the last thing you want is to be caught up in a situation in which your loved ones cannot locate your whereabouts," Ambassador Quayle said.

"I'd like to encourage British nationals in Thailand to register with LOCATE so that, if necessary, we will be able to contact your next of kin and locate you."

LOCATE allows the British Embassy in Bangkok to contact British nationals in an emergency.

Younger Brits with older, less-computer-savvy friends from the UK are encouraged to help them register.

Long term residents who have registered with the British Embassy before, but not using LOCATE, are encouraged to re-register using the new system. Data from the old database will not be automatically migrated.

Personal details entered onto LOCATE are password-protected and access to data will be for the crisis management purposes only and strictly in line with the UK Data Protection Act.

The UK is consistently the leading source of European arrivals to Thailand, with about 860,000 coming to the Kingdom in 2007, the last year for which figures are available on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/1

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex pats can no register too eh?

Does Quentin think there may be a need in the near future? I think we should be told :)

Maybe another cull of Englshmen after the perceived disparagemnt of Sir Anthony Rumbold or general "fin de siecle" unease?

Is there a chopper seat available between Mark and Quentin?

Thi stupid system is aimed at tourists. Expats are expected to re-register regularly as there is a time limit of registrations. The old manual system was a lot better and more sensible. Seems the Brit government doesn't realise that several million Brits live overses longterm.

Sounds fantastic. Think of all the additional X and Y GPS coordinates to spew auto and truck exhaust at.

An entire new data base for cueing the block to take your motorbike silencer off

and hold the throttle wide open in neutral. fun fun fun

most probably you don't have to register with your true name, passport number etc - it's more o tool of communication between consulate and citizens. The last year, during airports occupations, some countries were able to lift people up from thailand, because they had mobile numbers or @ addresses to tourists stuck in here.

something similar might be coming up again

Edited by londonthai

most probably you don't have to register with your true name, passport number etc - it's more o tool of communication between consulate and citizens. The last year, during airports occupations, some countries were able to lift people up from thailand, because they had mobile numbers and @ addresses to tourists stuck in here.

someting similar might be coming up again

Hmm, in that case it would be pretty pointless though wouldn't it? Or am I just being a little ignorant?

I assume that most British citizens move to Thailand because they do not want to get tracked by their government.

Not just the government! I can think of (a) divorce lawyers/ex-wives looking for an up in the alimony, (:) the tax man if you funded your retirement by "forgetting" to pay the last year's VAT at you business on the way out of the UK, © credit card companies and other creditors etc. The comment about data "protection" is very valid. If it exists it will be shared (just like car registrations from the DVLA can be had for the right price).

does this mean that tourists and expact are in real danger, so they can contact your family to claim your body in the morgue ?

maybe next step is : take fingerprints at airport and immigration, so they can find quickly all the criminals or for after a crime is committed and a farang escape goat is needed...

Edited by thaibkk

does this mean that tourists and expact are in real danger, so they can contact your family to claim your body in the morgue ?

from the registration form:

"This information can be used by FCO to alert citizens to relevant travel concerns as well as contact citizens in the event of an emergency"

looks like it's a usuful tool for travelling/staying not only to thailand, but anywhere in the world.

but the timing of this campaign says, that something unpredictable migh be happening in thailand shortly

all part of the service :)

slide_3563_50453_large.jpg

Please tell me that the picture you've used is a mock-up and not a real Playmobile toy set. If is really is something that is sold to children, we are seeing some very blatant indoctrination. "OK kiddies, let's all accept a police state with no more freedom or privacy."

Data from the old database will not be automatically migrated.

Why not?

Surely it's far easier for them to migrate the date than for hundreds of thousands of people to log and re-register? Even assuming they find out about it.

It's probably necessary for everyone to re-register because some other information not on the existing registration form has been added.

I imagine some form of authentication has been added since this new registration is done online, so there will be no embassy official present to check your passport and visa, etc. Otherwise anybody could register for anyone else as many times as they like and provide whatever information they like, kind of defeating the purpose.

I am only speculating though. I'm not British, and I have never registered in Thailand even on long-term stays. I actually attempted to register once at the US embassy using the old paper forms, but the process was so complicated that I gave up on it.

Edited by oevna

looks like it's a usuful tool for travelling/staying not only to thailand, but anywhere in the world.

but the timing of this campaign says, that something unpredictable migh be happening in thailand shortly

all part of the service :)

Please tell me that the picture you've used is a mock-up and not a real Playmobile toy set. If is really is something that is sold to children, we are seeing some very blatant indoctrination. "OK kiddies, let's all accept a police state with no more freedom or privacy."

Either that or they are trying to make George Michael cool again.

all part of the service :D

sorry but this is infact a real toy :)

More like another Big Brother move by the British Government. They can stick their LOCATE service where the sun doesn't shine.

Indeed. There is a reason I have chosen not to register with my embassy. If I need them I will let them know where I am. And only then.