British Expats And Tourists Encouraged To Register With New Embassy Tracking System

webfact

More like another Big Brother move by the British Government. They can stick their LOCATE service where the sun doesn't shine.

Is "1984" still required reading in schools? Reference to Big Brother may not be understood. Maybe when "Atlas Shrugs", the masses will have time to read it. Economic problems can be resolved by the marketplace. Government control can no longer be reigned in. All done with love, compassion, and "national security" (Gov't Edicts 9/11/01-...) to maximize the "greatest happiness for the greatest number"(Jeremy Bentham,1748-1832). So, it is probably a good idea to get the next generation used to it.

Oops, rambling again. :) OC

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pages and Pages of cynical, paranoid bullshit. Many countries offer this kind of service to their citizens abroad. How can they "track" you if you don't report where you are?

If you really don't want to be "found"...don't report...(Geez that's really hard) If you are interested in having your family informed if you get run over by a dump truck

or if your family needs to contact you for some reason that is what this facility is for. If you have not evaded the tax authorities why would you worry about the "tax man"

If you have not run afoul of the law in UK, why would you worry about the police? The system could be used to your advantage if you really are trying to cover your tracks...

all you have to do is provide wrong information about your whereabouts.....then how can they " track" you?

This facility is for normal, crime free, legitimate travelers or residents who want to be found if and when it becomes necessary.

None of you every have anything good to say about Thailand.... or the UK. I suspect you would not be happy or approve of things anywhere even when done in your best interests. Much better to sit around and whine and complain.........nothing will ever be right for you will it??

Thank you I couldn't have put this better. To the other posters can I just point out that LOCATE has been around online for over a year its NOT new, clearly the local rag running the story didn't check their facts.

As someone mentioned, this is not new; been around at least a year. I registered when it first appeared, was notified by email from embassy, only to find they have a time limit of one year for 'your stay' in the country; bloody useless for those who are living here.

The topic has been pinned in General for 18 months.

Just a twerp with a sandwich board and a flag.

As someone mentioned, this is not new; been around at least a year. I registered when it first appeared, was notified by email from embassy, only to find they have a time limit of one year for 'your stay' in the country; bloody useless for those who are living here.

No its not "bloody useless for those living here," they send you an email to remind you to renew. Just received second yearly reminder today.

Big Brother or not - as many tourists and expats seem to get into difficulties in Thailand at some stage (a minority) it makes sense that despite the sinister overbearance of the 'system' it is still a good idea. Take heart - it may actually save a life or two.

On the FCO website and the consulate/embassy sites in Thailand if you want any consular services you have to register with 'LOCATE' first.

I have been registering my comings and goings on the LOCATE website for the last year specifically because the British Embassy website says I must be to get a letter of residence or proof of income letter though I have not applied for them yet:

"Residency Letters

British nationals may be required to obtain a letter from us confirming their address for a number of different reasons. For example, when obtaining a Thai driving licence, buying and selling a car, or opening a Thai bank account. To obtain the letter you must be registered with us. We will also need to see a copy of your passport. We charge a fee of THB 2,088 for the letter, which is ready to collect from the Consular Section at 0900 on the working day after the application is submitted to us. You can also apply for a residency letter by post. The same procedures as for “proof of income letters” above apply."

the word "registered" is hyperlinked to the LOCATE website.

Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case??

If the UK Government want my address all they have to do is ask BiB. I report my current whereabouts to them every 90 days.

When it is time to apply for a 12 month extension again, I intend asking the Honorary Consul in Pattaya if any information that he could gather from the documentation that I place before him to verify my annual income, is passed on to any organisation including any HMG department. I suspect that the answer is a definite NO.

Why HMG should show any concern for my wellbeing when they have already disenfranchised me although I still pay UK taxes, expect me to pay for any medical or surgery costs that I might incur on a visit to the UK, and frozen my State Pension, although I have paid through the nose for 50 years for these last two, is beyond me.

My attitude is FO and I don't mean the Foreign Office.

What a joke! They set up a website under the pretense that it's all about helping family locate family and then go on to say that they'll hand the data to others. Why? They could easily have stated that the service is only for family in the case of emergencies and for NOTHING ELSE. Clearly they wanted to leave their options open. They finish it off by reassuring us that we'll be protected by the Data Protection Act! Yeah right! :)

sounds all sugar coated to me.the typical 'sun shines out our a**e' approach to gleaning more & more information/control/tracking-they must think we're stupid...call me paranoid but in the current climate of affairs & the way the UK has/is being screwed up by big brother this doesn't 'smell' as innocent as the wording suggests-my immediate thoughts on reading the header-post were...okaaaaay,so whats in the pipeline,that we dont yet know about?.i like to keep a low profile & off the rader NOT because im dodgy/nonce/or on the run-im none of those things,just a private kind of person who dont buy the governments bull**it & intrusions into my life...they can whistle!

:D

Ha ha

The Fo has never given a hoot for expats throughout the world. They are renowned for being the worst. Se how they treated those captured yachtspeople by the somalis just now, total incompetence.

Yes wouldnt it be nice for them to have a ready made data base to further disenfranchise you from say medical assistance should you return to UK

need i say more

perfidious albion :)

ps

yet another reason the move to YKW

Edited by robint

LOL the data will be used in line with the Data Protection Act . That really makes me laugh. British government agencies are renowned for breaching the act by their negligence.

...............or for law enforcement purposes! The U.S. does the same thing and passes the information directly on to the F.B.I.!

100% CORRECT! And, like ALL Western countries keeps a data base taken from emails (especially those sent overseas) and rates them on a scale of whether this person or that person is likely to become a "terrorist" or already is a "terrorist. " This spying does create tens of thousands of jobs however so it does help the economy.

What a joke! They set up a website under the pretense that it's all about helping family locate family and then go on to say that they'll hand the data to others.

If you don't tell your friends and family where you are or keep in regular contact with them, it is a reasonable assumption that you don't give a toss about them. And maybe vice versa. No government has any right to get involved in personal relationships.

If Quentin wants to be seen earning his KCMG when he retires, he might just stop spending my tax monies, and all the money gathered in to get documents expensively rubber stamped, on entertaining Thailands crooked and uncaring hi-so.

As an aside this is interesting:- http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encycloped..._British_honour. In days gone by I would have been well content being made a Companion of Honor Blackman.

Pages and Pages of cynical, paranoid bullshit. Many countries offer this kind of service to their citizens abroad. How can they "track" you if you don't report where you are?

If you really don't want to be "found"...don't report...(Geez that's really hard) If you are interested in having your family informed if you get run over by a dump truck

or if your family needs to contact you for some reason that is what this facility is for. If you have not evaded the tax authorities why would you worry about the "tax man"

If you have not run afoul of the law in UK, why would you worry about the police? The system could be used to your advantage if you really are trying to cover your tracks...

all you have to do is provide wrong information about your whereabouts.....then how can they " track" you?

This facility is for normal, crime free, legitimate travelers or residents who want to be found if and when it becomes necessary.

None of you every have anything good to say about Thailand.... or the UK. I suspect you would not be happy or approve of things anywhere even when done in your best interests. Much better to sit around and whine and complain.........nothing will ever be right for you will it??

Would you kindly refrain from coming on here and speaking the truth, from making sence, from defending what is right. The nerve of you. If you are not prepared to rubbish Thailand and the UK then please find another forum.

C'mon Guys

Have a think about this sensibly. And bear in mind it's voluntary.

I've lost count of the times parents and brothers , sisters and other family members have been looking for their lost child or sibling on Koh Phangan, Samui or Phuket because the little <deleted> took too many drugs, became an instant alcoholic, went native, or really WAS in trouble. The amount of MISSING posters that used to come through, and probably still do, was quite alarming.

This system would be a major step in locating lost loved ones or at least have an idea of their most recent location.

The other case that imedietly comes to mind is the current political situation. If civil war does break out , which is a remote possibility now, but not such a far fetched possibility in the near future. It's almost certain in some areas Farangs will be targeted by certain elements, for one reason or another. Weren't Americans told to keep their heads down in Chiang Mai recently?!

The Foreign Office will help you and your family get out of Dodge when the time comes , or if it comes rather. But they have to know where you are and how to get in touch. You will not want to be around here in a civil war, believe me. For an idea of how things can really be in those circumstances in this part of the world, I suggest you look at the Killing Fields movie just to get an idea of how the SE Asians are when they get really Human. The scenes portrayed in that movie are by no means far fetched.

For those Conspiricy Theorists and sceptics (sic) among you, just don't bother to sign.

C'mon Guys

Have a think about this sensibly. And bear in mind it's voluntary.

I've lost count of the times parents and brothers , sisters and other family members have been looking for their lost child or sibling on Koh Phangan, Samui or Phuket because the little <deleted> took too many drugs, became an instant alcoholic, went native, or really WAS in trouble. The amount of MISSING posters that used to come through, and probably still do, was quite alarming.

This system would be a major step in locating lost loved ones or at least have an idea of their most recent location.

The other case that imedietly comes to mind is the current political situation. If civil war does break out , which is a remote possibility now, but not such a far fetched possibility in the near future. It's almost certain in some areas Farangs will be targeted by certain elements, for one reason or another. Weren't Americans told to keep their heads down in Chiang Mai recently?!

The Foreign Office will help you and your family get out of Dodge when the time comes , or if it comes rather. But they have to know where you are and how to get in touch. You will not want to be around here in a civil war, believe me. For an idea of how things can really be in those circumstances in this part of the world, I suggest you look at the Killing Fields movie just to get an idea of how the SE Asians are when they get really Human. The scenes portrayed in that movie are by no means far fetched.

For those Conspiricy Theorists and sceptics (sic) among you, just don't bother to sign.

Regarding troubled kids that did as you say on Samui etc, I don't know how registering them would help. Perhaps the brats should be registered before they leave the UK?

Current political situation and targeting farangs, nonsense.

FO helping out in bad times: remember how helpful they were during the Tsunami?

I assume that most British citizens move to Thailand because they do not want to get tracked by their government.

Most of us have to check in with Thai immigration every 90 days So the Thais know where we are why can't the British government talk to the Thai Immigration?

Those of us who work here ( legally ) have a " Work Permit " so the Thais again know where we are.

Typical government red tape again something us Brits are famous for

Oh, how considerate of these nice people in government :)

Why not just give the British Embassy your email address? We all check our emails at least every few days and that system would be a lot quicker than a " Big Brother " tracking system

Why complicate things ?

Personally I feel safer in Thailand than I ever did in the UK . The British Government don't really care about you when you are living in the UK.

But the reference to Enoch Powell confuses me slightly, it's usually mentioned when referring to immigration and racial issues.
Exactly and sums up the situation as I see it! The overflow from the UK's misguided Immigration Policy has spread through ALL the facets of there Foreign Office policies to situation where we mere mortals cannot get contact with the people we should do under normal circumstances. He predicted that!

So...Enoch Powell predicted we wouldn't be able to get in contact with people we 'should' be able to contact? What are these 'normal circumstances' to which you refer?

And how, exactly, has the UK's immigration policy, or lack of, contributed to the privatisation of government departments and their desire to keep track of expats? Perhaps it was by allowing too many Australians into the UK? Or is it the 'usual suspects' Caribbeans, Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Poles?

So, to summarise, you think that everything that is wrong with the UK is because of the immigration in the 1970's?

I do hear this 'theory' in the pub sometimes, usually from someone with a court order banning them from football matches.

I give in, go back and read your history. He predicted a total debacle within the migrant policies and effectiveness of the Foreign Office and that covers Embassy’s. BUT --- <deleted> do I know as a mere colonial.

On the FCO website and the consulate/embassy sites in Thailand if you want any consular services you have to register with 'LOCATE' first.

I have been registering my comings and goings on the LOCATE website for the last year specifically because the British Embassy website says I must be to get a letter of residence or proof of income letter though I have not applied for them yet:

"Residency Letters

British nationals may be required to obtain a letter from us confirming their address for a number of different reasons. For example, when obtaining a Thai driving licence, buying and selling a car, or opening a Thai bank account. To obtain the letter you must be registered with us. We will also need to see a copy of your passport. We charge a fee of THB 2,088 for the letter, which is ready to collect from the Consular Section at 0900 on the working day after the application is submitted to us. You can also apply for a residency letter by post. The same procedures as for “proof of income letters” above apply."

the word "registered" is hyperlinked to the LOCATE website.

Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case??

I have done all those things and have NEVER contacted the Consular Service at the Embassy. A letter from the Immigration police sufficed and I think they charged me 100 baht. The letter was in my hands within 10 minutes of making my request.

the LEGO world city got me a good 2 years back.

LEGO World City 4513: Grand Central Station

5197NZR4BZL._SS500_.jpg

LEGO World City 7033: Armoured Car Action

51PJ6A2VRCL._SS500_.jpg

and finally my fav:

LEGO World City 7034: Surveillance Truck

516THNBF3PL._SS500_.jpg

harmless fun or conditioning kids to accept state surveillance? then again ignorance is bliss. perhaps it better they stay in their childish ways for as long as possible! kids grow up too fast. I wouldn't want to be a kid again, not in a western democracy.

The issue is entirely to do with privacy, and the UK government's scant regard for it.

I dont want to trust them with that data, just for some civil service ponce to leave it on a train for any old Joe to do whatever they wish with..

Absolutely. The British government enacts strict data protection laws but then entrusts absolute nincopoops with our data and merely apologises when they foul up.

Thailand is rife with fraud and dishonesty. I do not want my personal details handed out to every Tom Dick and Harry who calls the Embassy pretending to be my long lost brother.... especially since I am an only child.

I assume that most British citizens move to Thailand because they do not want to get tracked by their government.

Aye, then after you register the taxman comes knocking!

I'll do them a deal...I won't bother them if they won't bother me.....tongue.gif

Hey thats exactly what I was thinking. :)

I think it is an excellent scheme, I am glad that they care and bother about their fellow countrymen. Would you prefer they just forget about you and offer no home country protection should the proverbial hit the fan in the country that you happen to live in?

If you have something to hide then that is your problem and very sad. Personally I live here honestly as a retiree now in my 60s having worked hard and honestly in the UK for over 40 years. So along with many of us in the same boat I feel I can now deservedly relax and enjoy life here as I have no need to look over my shoulder. I am sure the majority of expats here are the same too as not all Brits are crooks you know. :) Those who are crooks should then really not criticise on these boards the likes of other well known Thai crooks like Toxin as are they really much better ? Those with a clear conscience can feel free and non hypocritical continuing to do so until the snivelling little toxic bastard is rightly jailed along with any others whose caps fit too.

Now has anyone got an easy link to the site where I can use this new registration system to replace the last one I did over 5 years ago. ?? Or has it already been posted and I just missed it being an old git ??

Edited by rayw