So can we relax now?

Not yet awhile Sinbad. I think they'll be less zealous, but now the Government is aware of how extensive the ways of the bent farangs really are, there'll be an expectation on the part of the powers that be, that henceforth will be adhered to. A good number of officers were booted out, that focusses the others.

... and an expensive party...

-----------------

APEC WRAP-UP: Party cost a little over Bt1 bn: PM

Published on Oct 23, 2003

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday dismissed reports that his government spent as much as Bt5 billion to host the Apec conference.

"The government used a little over Bt1 billion," he said.

Some was used to renovate Royal Thai Navy buildings, Government House and the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall, Thaksin said.

Other funds were spent on decorations, sound-system equipment and furniture, he said.

The government has been criticised in the media for pouring too much of the national budget into the event.

However, Thaksin said the costs were worth it, in part because CNN had reported about Thailand and the Apec summit every day.

"To advertise Thai tourism on CNN would cost an enormous amount of money," he said.

Nikm Wairatpanit, director of the Social Welfare Office, said city officials will maintain all the decorative bits and pieces placed around Bangkok for the Apec summit to provide a splash of colour for upcoming festivals and celebrations.

Trees, decorative plants, flowers and sculptures would be maintained to celebrate His Majesty the King's birthday, the Loy Krathong festival and New Year celebrations, he said.

But many city residents have yet to see any of these colourful additions as some roads were shut during the summit.

"They will now have a chance to see the decorations and take photos,'' Nikm said.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would continue to add trees in the middle of some divided roads, he said, including Phetchaburi Road from Mitsampan intersection to Klong Tan intersection.

Residents have been told not to steal any of the plants with the city council warning it will take legal action against offenders caught doing this.

The enormous canvas banner erected to conceal a slum community on the banks of the Chao Phya River will stay up until the New Year.

Meanwhile, some residents were left counting cost to their businesses after the summit ended on Tuesday.

Sitha Chotikul, 28, a shoe trader on the playground at Wat Arun, said he was hard hit because of the BMA ban on street vendors.

"If it weren't for my relatives who supported me, I would not have survived," he said.

However, he added, "I can accept the security reasons cited for the ban.''In an Assumption University survey carried out after the event, many residents said they were impressed with the Royal Barge Procession, but felt the government might have spent too much on it.In the poll, which surveyed the opinions 1,125 respondents, many also blamed the Apec summit for traffic jams.

--The Nation 2003-10-23

So how much of this money went outside of Thailand.

It may of created alot of income to some in real need of

it. Much of this money may of went to over time pay to

many that for sure could use the extra money. It was not all

bad as the article would make you believe.

Well I for 1 am glad that they got a lot of CNN coverage so the tourists will come.

But do you think that anyone in power has thought about the slump that kicking all the farang that are married and supporting a family here will bring.

In the 2 years that I have been married,I have spent close to $40,000 US that went into the thai economy,kept a crew working for 4 months building a new house and still have some doing work at times, Spent 40,000 baht on my stepdaughters teeth at the orthodantist that would never have been spent by a Thai.

When I lived in mexico,the powers that be decided that they would charge a $5 fee for a visa to visit Ensenada, This idea was in effect for 2 weeks,no one would spend the $5 and the merchants raised so much #### that the idea was scrapped, but no real damage was done.

But once we have to leave here,how many of us will find a nice place to live and refuse to come back? Once burnt,how many will be afraid to stick their hand in the fire again?

Dr.pat pong , i find it highly amusing that you can actually come out with the line " how extensive the ways of the bent farangs really are" who are you trying to kid.your post implies that its the farangs who are in the wrong, what about the thais who it seems in your eyes can do no wrong

I dont know which orbit you actually inhabit BUT it needs to be pointed  out to you that its the thais that are the ones who are bent and corrupt. the farangs are mereley taking advantage of the fatal flaws in the thai charachter, greed ,dishonesty and a lust for quick easy cash.

being bent implies that one must be in a position of authority, with an ability and power to influence and bend the rules, and to gain financially from doing so.these people are not farangs but thai.so dont go pointing the finger and being an apologist for all things thai (yet again !)

I havent seen any farang police or immigration officials lately, have you........ CHECKMATE

Now that APEC is gone I can finally get my favorite street food again.

I woke up on the morning of the first APEC meeting to walk my girlfriend to work and pay for some Chah Minnoa and -- low and behold -- my regular Cha-Woman was nowhere to be found! I searched, in vain, for street vendors but there were none in sight.

Thank goodness it's all over and I can finally eat my Som Dum Thai :o