Tor Bor Tor 5 Question

My wife has been offered some land, it doesn't have a chanote, it has a Tor Tor Bor 5. I understand that this is basically squatters rights and you cannot build there, however it's OK for agriculture.

You cannot register a sale at the land dept. however it's common to for the land to be sold and with the Pu Yai Ban and head policemen (or something like that). Essentially you are buying the right to use the land.

It doesn't worry me that we may never be able to build or upgrade to Chanote, my concern is that the land could somehow be taken from her.

What are ppl's thoughts? Any advice is appreciated.

The problem is you never know when a Chanote will show up from who knows where?

This is Thailand and land is as good as money, therefore there is always a huge risk with Tor Tor Bor 5

I had an advisor tell me once to steer clear of this at all costs

The problem is you never know when a Chanote will show up from who knows where?

This is Thailand and land is as good as money, therefore there is always a huge risk with Tor Tor Bor 5

I had an advisor tell me once to steer clear of this at all costs

Do you mean someone may show up with a Chanote on the land? I think this can be checked, the Tor Tor Bor 5 is registered, but sales aren't registered with the land dept.. just locally. I'm not concerned that she may never have Chanote, just don't want to see the land taken away.

Advisors are usually talking to ppl who plan to build/invest, this is not our situation.

When T.T.B.5s are made into Channot, then the land department normally decides for an area, surveys it and converts all land in that area to Chanoot. My wife's father got Channot to his land a year ago that way.

There should be no Chanoot yet but that when finally one is to be made, it will be made in the name of the Original T.T.B.5 owner regardless of how many times the land has been sold. The land suddenly increases in value considerably when it gets the Channot so I'd expect problems.

When T.T.B.5s are made into Channot, then the land department normally decides for an area, surveys it and converts all land in that area to Chanoot. My wife's father got Channot to his land a year ago that way.

There should be no Chanoot yet but that when finally one is to be made, it will be made in the name of the Original T.T.B.5 owner regardless of how many times the land has been sold. The land suddenly increases in value considerably when it gets the Channot so I'd expect problems.

So in the case of your father in law, I'm guessing he is the original TTB5 owner?

Thanks, from what I've read it seems TTB5 land is not 'owned' and therefore cannot be 'sold'. However use of the land is granted, for which tax is paid, and this can be sold. If the right procedures are followed, the purchase should be safe, however it's possible that a chanote may never be issued for the land, without such gaining approval to build is not possible.