Pinklao And Rama Viii Bridge Closes Tonight

george

so there is public transport on both bidges, but not private cars.

probably not what was meant by the office issuing this info.

and what hour do they close - "tonight" might mean after sunset, but it's still rush hours in bangkok. The other bridges will be jammed for hours.

Yesterdays BKK-POst, 4/12/09, had more info. Not just those bridges, but also about all of Ratchdamnern Main Avenue and its side streets are sealed for cars etc. AFTER 16.00-and from today till 13/12=NEXT sunday.

There is NO info at all as to how BMTA buses etc are running or diverted-f.e. the nr 79 or 511 who would run over this stretch to get into Thonburi-Pinklao and to Sai Thai Terminal. Thats probably also to stimulate the function of the dilapidated buses we have here in town. Stay at home would be a more sensible advice if you happen to live in/near this area or need to cross it.

But at least this weekend traffic will be much, much less in BKK-for fairly obvious reasons. Just like it would be on 1/1 or Chin. Nw yr.

My experiences of the past two days (supposedly tonight will be the same):

-On both nights, Ratchadamnoen and Ratchadamnoen Nok were closed at 6PM until midnight. Ratchadamnoen was closed from the entrance to the Ratanakosin Hotel (near Sanam Luang) to Phan Fa Lilat (where Ratchadamnoen meets Ratchadamnoen Nok), and Ratchadamnoen Nok was closed from there to the government house.

-On Thursday night, we parked near Khao San, and left for home at 10PM. We went to Rama Viii bridge (doing an illegal U-turn like everyone else), and had no problem crossing it to Pinklao (westbound lanes). I can't remember if the eastbound lanes were open.

-Last night, I didn't bring a vehicle, and was planning to take the express boat from Phra Athit to Pinklao pier. I forgot that the boat service ends at 7:30, so I had to walk over the bridge (it was 9PM). Phra Pinklao bridge seemed to be open to all traffic going both ways, but only towards Sanam Luang.

Tonight will be crazy I think, so I won't bother going again, and will just take pictures of the fireworks from my condo (fireworks start at 8PM from what I've heard).

Hope this helps!

Now that 5/12 has passed-the info londonthai (usually quite reliable and informative as he is) was a bit false. Those 2 bridges were not closed-but the traffic jam around the Snm Luang made any progress futile. Close off of ratchdamnern etc.-as said-is to continue till 13/.12=next week sunday. It seems some say from 16.00/others from 18.00-maybe it varies even (5/12 was obviously a case in its own)

My experiences of the past two days (supposedly tonight will be the same):

-On both nights, Ratchadamnoen and Ratchadamnoen Nok were closed at 6PM until midnight. Ratchadamnoen was closed from the entrance to the Ratanakosin Hotel (near Sanam Luang) to Phan Fa Lilat (where Ratchadamnoen meets Ratchadamnoen Nok), and Ratchadamnoen Nok was closed from there to the government house.

-On Thursday night, we parked near Khao San, and left for home at 10PM. We went to Rama Viii bridge (doing an illegal U-turn like everyone else), and had no problem crossing it to Pinklao (westbound lanes). I can't remember if the eastbound lanes were open.

-Last night, I didn't bring a vehicle, and was planning to take the express boat from Phra Athit to Pinklao pier. I forgot that the boat service ends at 7:30, so I had to walk over the bridge (it was 9PM). Phra Pinklao bridge seemed to be open to all traffic going both ways, but only towards Sanam Luang.

Tonight will be crazy I think, so I won't bother going again, and will just take pictures of the fireworks from my condo (fireworks start at 8PM from what I've heard).

Hope this helps!

hahah you know this area, having dinner in Poosin restaurant sometime ? or the very good jade kitchen Chinese Restaurant ?