Having Exceptional Trouble Getting A Passport Sized Photo For My Infant

DazednConfused555

I bring the paper instructions with the boxed photo example showing that the head cannot be vertically bigger than 1 3/8 inch for a 2x2 US passport photo. The Thai shopkeeper nods along and then brings me a photo where the head is 2inchs vertically.

I go to another shop, again with the very easy to follow instructions and I take the incorrect photo and I draw two horizontal lines onto it showing them how the 1st shop messed up and that the head must be in between those two lines. So they now have two sets of very simple instructions and they too bring me a photo where the head is 2 inches long vertical.

I tried a third shop with the same results.

Which shop location did you use?

Edited by DazednConfused555

Maybe you will have more success if you dropped the old imperial measurements and use metric. Also Thai people tend to put more emphasis on the shorter measurement, for instance ask them how big the snake was and they will use there thumb and index finger to show you the width.

I took the passport photo instructions to my local photo shop in Phuket & she produced as required. When I turned them in at the embassy the lady commented they were the best she had seen according to the required specs. This was for a New Zealand passport & the required measurements were shown in metric.

Keep persevering as they have the technology.

Maybe you will have more success if you dropped the old imperial measurements and use metric. Also Thai people tend to put more emphasis on the shorter measurement, for instance ask them how big the snake was and they will use there thumb and index finger to show you the width.

I actually did not mention the word inch at all. I just told them US Passport Photo 5cm by 5cm... They nod like they know exactly what it is I am saying. Then I show them the boxed photo example with the measurements showing how big the head is supposed to be. For the next two shops, they also had the incorrect photo with two lines drawn to show that the head was too big. Not quite sure what else I could have done exactly to have better communicated to them what I wanted.

Edited by DazednConfused555

I actually did not mention the word inch at all. I just told them US Passport Photo 5cm by 5cm... They nod like they know exactly what it is I am saying. Then I show them the boxed photo example with the measurements showing how big the head is supposed to be. For the next two shops, they also had the incorrect photo with two lines drawn to show that the head was too big. Not quite sure what else I could have done exactly to have better communicated to them what I wanted.

You might want to try the shop on the ground floor of the building that sits to the left of the Consulate (as you face the consulate). There is a K bank in front. Go all the way to the back and you will see it. They also do translations etc. but they know exactly what the US passport requirements are and you will have the photos in a few min.

I don't really know Bangkok too well and I know this sounds stupid, but is there a shop close to the embassy that does photos? They likely get plenty of requests and should know what you need from experience. If you have a digital camera and computer you could always do them yourself.

This is Thailand, you're lucky if you get the meal you ordered, let alone something like passport photos.

Try bringing someone who speaks Thai to come with you. Someone who actually understands english would be a bonus. :)

or buy a digital camera and do it your-self lay your child on some white paper then print to the correct size job done

yep, thats what ive done on a few occasions for friends

I don't really know Bangkok too well and I know this sounds stupid, but is there a shop close to the embassy that does photos? They likely get plenty of requests and should know what you need from experience. If you have a digital camera and computer you could always do them yourself.

This is Thailand, you're lucky if you get the meal you ordered, let alone something like passport photos.

Check out my reply above, # 7, and you will have directions to the photo shop next door to the consulate. The OP can get his photo there then procede on to the consulate to apply for the passport.

On the ground floor of a shopping mall called Wave Place, which is connected by a walkway to Ploen Chit BTS station and is on the corner of Wireless Road, is a photo shop which churns out passport photos all day, and they know exactly what to do. I got a decent passport photo of my son there a few months ago, no problem and was perfectly fine for the passport.

Go to all Seasons Place on Wireless Rd, just down from the embassy.

On the 3rd floor of the retail centre (ie with the Starbucks down stairs) there is a photo shop which is used to doing passport photos to passport standards. We've had them done there for Australian and NZ biometric passports, and so long as you bring an example (ie your embassy should provide visual guidelines) they will do a good job. Given they are so close to the US embassy, I suspect they've done a few.

Last time i used the kodak shop in siam square, (near the entrace to the overhead pass into MBK). best passport photos i have ever had. understood english well, very fast, very cheap, very good. what more could you ask for. They do everything to do with photo's in there...