Songkran Week Tolls – 351 Dead, 8,769 Injured

george

Songkran Week Tolls – 351 dead, 8,769 injured

BANGKOK: -- The Interior Ministry’s Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department recorded 351 people were killed and 8,769 injured as a result of road accidents during the national holiday of Songkran week.

On 14 April alone, a number of 1,714 traffic accidents have been reported, taking 40 lives and injuring 2,151. Still, these figures represented a slight recline in casualities from last year, said Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit.

In an overall picture, nearly 8,800 traffic accidents occurred nationwide during 8-14 April, killing 351. Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima record the highest number of death tolls at 16 each. The only three provinces without any death toll during this year’s Songkran so far are Narathiwat, Mae Hong Son and Satun.

Mr. Sermsak said motorcycles are responsible for the most of the road accidents recorded yesterday, and most accidents happened in secondary and rural roads, outside the major highways.

The Deputy Interior Minister urged drivers to be careful and encouraged them to use roadside rest stations if they are too exhausted or too sleepy to drive in order to reduce road accident and fatality.

--TNA 2005-04-15

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The security guard of our building crashed his motorcycle yesterday and broke his collar bone. The reason: someone splashed water in his face.

I bet a lot of the accidents are caused by motorcycles either trying to dodge water or being temporarily blinded from water in their eyes.

I LIVE IN ARANYAPRATHET AND THIS TIME OF YEAR IS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOTHING ELSE. LET THEM ENJOY IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT LOOK ON LIFE MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

if the good folk of aranyaprathet dont know how to have a good time without causing death and injury to others then perhaps they dont deserve to have anything else.

the government does ervything to minimize the number of deaths. thank you very much.

hardly!

allowing people in trucks to assault bikers willy nilly?

same result as going out with a gun for a shooting spree.

i am sure the govt is doing all they can, the people are the ones who choose not to obey them. if there werent a govt...then there would be a shooting spree.

i am sure the govt is doing all they can,

Its not stopping trucks with tooled-up beery louts from deliberately trying to knock bikers over. (and these people are actively seeking to cause mayhem).

So easy to stop - just get the Police to pull over armoured cars and chuck 'em in the Cells for a night.

But its not going to happen- ever,..... and we expats constantly make the mistake of thinking that Thailand wants to be civilized in a Judeo-Christian tradition, and that's a completely inaccurate perception.

Edited by The_Moog

But its not going to happen- ever,..... and we expats constantly make the mistake of thinking that Thailand wants to be civilized in a Judeo-Christian tradition, and that's a completely inaccurate perception.

I hope you meant that sarcastically. Think about how much violence happens during and after the average football game. Thai thugs causing trouble with water look like angels compared to european chavs and hooligan types.

The fault is ours Bossman - I mean specifically we people on the Forum (including myself), who say...

"Why don't they want to be more like us? Why do they have to be corrupt, untidy, complacent, - aggressive towards motorbikers at Songkran?"

...and as you point out - look at soccer from Millwall to Milan, we're not something they would want to emulate either !

But if they truly wanted to stop any particular activity, they would - they could.

I hope you meant that sarcastically. Think about how much violence happens during and after the average football game. Thai thugs causing trouble with water look like angels compared to european chavs and hooligan types.

....both types of behaviour in my opinion are stupid....although bossman you surely are not comparing these two activities in terms of casualties and deaths.

i.e.during Songkran week 351 people have died and 8,769 injured.. ...

Angels...I don`t think so :o

The Police will not do anything over Songkran to stop the jolly homicides.

There's only one person who could pre-emptively stop the dangerous attacks on motorbikers, and say 'This must not happen' , and people might take heed.

Board Rules prevent me from saying more, but I think that might be the only workable solution.

just got back to bkk from hua hin..........saw about 10 cars that had gone off the road and probably 6 rear end shunts...........in 240 kilometres......certainly more than i am used to seeing on this journey.........None of these appear to have been caused by throwing water but i suspect alcohol played a major part. The general standard of driving was much worse than usual.

I LIVE IN ARANYAPRATHET AND THIS TIME OF YEAR IS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOTHING ELSE. LET THEM ENJOY IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT LOOK ON LIFE MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE.  :o

Agree. Most of the accidents are due to people travelling out of their usual towns off on holiday.

It happens in Europe every year particularly in Italy and France where August is practically a month long holiday. People drive off to their various holiday destinations in vast numbers and accidents occur.

Italy posts some of the greatest number of fatalities something like 24 a minute die in that month primarily due to poor road system and not to bad driving as most people would think!

Let the water flow and let people have fun. Drive carefully to and from your place of holiday!!!

Italy posts some of the greatest number of fatalities something like 24 a minute die in that month primarily due to poor road system and not to bad driving as most people would think!

24 dead/minute times 60 minutes/hour times 24 hours/day times 31 days in August equals 1,071,360 dead on the Italian roads in August. Somehow I doubt that...

The Police will not do anything over Songkran to stop the jolly homicides.

There's only one person who could pre-emptively stop the dangerous attacks on motorbikers, and say 'This must not happen' , and people might take heed.

Board Rules prevent me from saying more, but I think that might be the only workable solution.

I'm afraid even that wouldn't work out. Would only truly be effective during an extreme crisis of the moment, recent history seems to tell us. The position is a very tricky one, I'm sure we'd all agree.

Simply, it takes good guys bigger, and maybe badder, than the bad guys. History also shows this ...

Plus consistency. This is where I see the crux of many problems here...

All of the usual joking about crackdowns aside, this lack of consistency in the application of the law is really why there are so many crackdowns in Thailand. A crackdown in Thailand is the periodic enforcement of some existing law, rarely the implementation of new legislation.

Songkran Week Tolls – 351 dead, 8,769 injured 

In an overall picture, nearly 8,800 traffic accidents occurred nationwide during 8-14 April, killing 351. Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima record the highest number of death tolls at 16 each. The only three provinces without any death toll during this year’s Songkran so far are Narathiwat, Mae Hong Son and Satun.

--TNA 2005-04-15

Once again, the story utterly fails to put the statistics used into perspective. Thailand had a bit over 13000 traffic fatalities last year - 36 on an average day, with or without Songkran. I imagine most people take away from this story that 351 deaths occurred in these 7 days due to Songkran festivites, but keep in mind that in the 7 days prior, assuming it was a typical week, about 250 died in traffic accidents, even without water fights. Accident rates go up about 60% during the '10 days' of Songkran. This is hardly suprizing with all the mahem and people driving drunk. The Songkran road death toll certainly tragic, but not so shocking when held up against the tragedy of the daily carnage that happens on Thai roads every single day.

All of the usual joking about crackdowns aside, this lack of consistency in the application of the law is really why there are so many crackdowns in Thailand. A crackdown in Thailand is the periodic enforcement of some existing law, rarely the implementation of new legislation.

And to a lack of consistency in parenting, teaching, religion...

Enforcement of laws works here, as does most everywhere else but it's rare to see it happen, thn when it does happen, we are told where, along with the start/stop dates.

The only consistent enforcement of laws I can think of are the ones regarding farangs and immigration laws.

The thing is, all of us continue to benefit by other lax laws, no matter who you are.. Frankly, an attraction (not the only one!) for me. I've never liked rules much, or others telling me what to do. That's part of my reason for moving here. Not that I am doing anything bad, but I still want the choice in case I ever change my mind :o

Edited by Ajarn

The Songkran road death toll certainly tragic, but not so shocking when held up against the tragedy of the daily carnage that happens on Thai roads every single day.

Statistics make it all seem so much more comforting !

I think its the image we have of these teenage girls (another topic) being forced off their bike by a wall of water - deliberately to <deleted> them up - and losing their lives.

not really an 'accident' is it!

A beered up lout driving into a tree - yes, he could do that any time of the year - true.

Edited by The_Moog

The security guard of our building crashed his motorcycle yesterday and broke his collar bone. The reason: someone splashed water in his face.

I bet a lot of the accidents are caused by motorcycles either trying to dodge water or being temporarily blinded from water in their eyes.

Very little conpaired to europe new year figuers & people have a good heart here not the same as Uk Europe.

if U wish the the same Europe figurea go live Europe not Thailand.

I LIVE IN ARANYAPRATHET AND THIS TIME OF YEAR IS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOTHING ELSE. LET THEM ENJOY IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT LOOK ON LIFE MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE.  :o

Agree. Most of the accidents are due to people travelling out of their usual towns off on holiday.

It happens in Europe every year particularly in Italy and France where August is practically a month long holiday. People drive off to their various holiday destinations in vast numbers and accidents occur.

Let the water flow and let people have fun. Drive carefully to and from your place of holiday!!!

Same UK but with anger built in U want the same Europe then live Europe

Paul W

Update:

Mass exodus of 1.2 million travelers expected in Bangkok this Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The state-owned Transport Company Limited forecasts a busy Sunday at its bus terminals as 1.2 million people return to Bangkok after a long Songkran weekend.

During the busiest traveling season of the year when most migrant workers return home for family reunion, the Transport Co.,Ltd recorded a number of 1.2 million passengers on 12 April.

The peak demand for transport resulted in an arrest of 20 illegally-operated minibuses, said the company’s manager Tawatchai Phaoluangthong.

Mr Tawatchai said the campaign to encourage people to avoid the peak period by an offer of 40% discount for those making the journeys ahead of the Songkran week has successfully helped reduce the congestion.

However, those same 1.2 million travelers who departed on Tuesday are expected to scurry back to Bangkok for work on Monday. Mr Tawatchai urged those who can make it to travel before Sunday.

--TNA 2005-04-15