My Friend Murdered Today

lor

Just read the thread and as the OP would like to answer a couple of questions regarding events/motive etc.

The killer was known to Peter and many others who frequent the bar. He was one of the kindest people you could meet. Never violent. But some months ago he started abusing drugs. He went downhill fast and became very psychotic. He had a web site on which he posted some very strange things. <snip>

The night before the murder he sent an e-mail to my friend saying that the next day he was going to kill someone. My friend passed it off as the drugs talking but now he is wracked with guilt that if he had done something maybe Peter would still be alive. I am sure in time he will come to realise that there was nothing he could do and it was not his fault.

What made a good man into a killer. Did he become mentaly ill/psychotic and start taking drugs or did he take drugs which made him Psychotic? We will never know. I just know it was the waste of a life. A few people gathered tonight to remember Peter. I went along. Outside standing by herself was his 12 year old daughter. The look on her face made me cry. He died in the bar itself and not the internet room. His daughter was there when it happened. It will be with her for the rest of her life. Many people tonight were saying what they would like to do to the killer. I have always been against capital punishment but to be honest I would execute him myself if I got the chance!

Best not write any more as my emotions are still running high.

Peter's mother and father arrive from Germany in the morning. If people are interested I will post funeral details when I get them.

Chris

Edited by soundman
Removed third party reference to HM.

RIP.....sad story. One wonders what kind of crazed people running around here. Would be interesting to know on which Visa the killer stays in Thailand...

Why do you ask such a silly question? A killer with or without a visa, what does it matter.

Disagree. Nothing silly about that question. The visa system should be capable (and if it isn't, then why not?) of acting as some kind of a filter to assist, even if only slightly, in excluding drug-addicted scum from the country. Another question for every farang who knew the putative murderer and was aware of the addiction is why they tacitly accepted his criminal activity which has led to such tragic consequences. One can only feel great regret and sympathy for the family and friends of the victim, but if we do nothing to stop the next such incident, then that sympathy is practically worthless.

In the Thai version of the Pattaya Daily News they report that after the murder he ran out of the bar, got onto his motorcycle and turned back to the bar laughing while raising both fists in the air and cheering before throwing the knife away. A passer-by tried to knock him off his bike but he kept his balance and drove off.

Four hours later he was apparently arrested after he phoned his Thai gf who worked in the deceased's bar to come and meet him. She informed the police who picked him up at the Jao Phraya Resort in South Pattaya.

One of his German acquaintances said he'd been in Thailand for 5 years and had money and work problems. It also mentions he was a website designer.

Condolences to the family.

Very tragic situation. Condolences to the family.

Has similarities with the murder of Gary Poretsky in Chiang Mai last year. I hope the <snip> Chiang Mai where the Australian murderer received a sentence of only four years which was then cut in half because he pleaded guilty and made a show payment of compensation to the supposed girlfriend of the victim.

I'd like to know which country has a visa system such as Kitsch22 describes? Certainly not the US. Only a few weeks ago the news was that the US didn't know how many or where their over-stayers were. To describe all people addicted to drugs as "scum" shows the writer has a poor understanding of the word addiction. Better get an education on the issue first Kitsch22.

Edited by soundman
Removed content criticising the Thai judiciary.

Very tragic situation. Condolences to the family.

Has similarities with the murder of Gary Poretsky in Chiang Mai last year. I hope the <snip> Chiang Mai where the Australian murderer received a sentence of only four years which was then cut in half because he pleaded guilty and made a show payment of compensation to the supposed girlfriend of the victim.

I'd like to know which country has a visa system such as Kitsch22 describes? Certainly not the US. Only a few weeks ago the news was that the US didn't know how many or where their over-stayers were. To describe all people addicted to drugs as "scum" shows the writer has a poor understanding of the word addiction. Better get an education on the issue first Kitsch22.

How much education do I need to despise (as being lower than an animal) a person who voluntarily and illegally puts himself into a state in which he commits a brutal murder? "Drug addict" does not necessarily equate to "scum" in every case, but usually (and obviously) it does. Your suggestion that I have stated to the contrary is simply false. It is my (probably forlorn) hope that the murderer in this case will receive exactly the same treatment and sentence as would a Thai offender. If only!

And for the avoidance of doubt I do not hold up the UK or US immigration control systems as being anything save as examples of disaster. We too (UK I mean) allow in the scum of the earth - and then let them gain citizenship after a few years. Madness! The Thais guard their citizenship jealously, and they are quite right. Where they have been less on target is in allowing their country to become an available repository for the detritus of the West. They should use the visa system as a possible means of limiting the numbers of these farang insults to humanity who are continuing to invade their shores.

My Friend Peter.

Last night I lost a friend.

Not just somebody I knew but a real friend.

A loving husband, father and son.

A man who would do anything to help his friends, of which were legion.

A polite, kind, generous, caring person, on whom we could all depend.

A good man with a wicked sense of humour but couldn’t tell a joke for toffee.

His taste in colour was firmly fixed in the Sixties.

From his LOUD shirts to his orange and green and yellow (blue as well) rooms.

I sometimes felt I needed sunglasses to speak to him.

He called himself Master of the Universe.

He is now at one with that same Universe

I find it hard to be critical about anything he did.

We had our disagreements but respected each other enough to listen to the others opinion.

But if I was to judge harshly, he really failed in the joke telling department.

Or maybe it was just lost in translation.

He was always there when I needed him but I wasn’t there when he needed me.

My Friend Peter.

My Friend Peter.

He was always there when I needed him but I wasn't there when he needed me.

My Friend Peter.

Very touching tribute to your friend Adrian. You may not have been there for him at the time, but you are certainly here for him now with this great tribute. Sorry you lost your friend and I wish you, his wife, daughter, family and other friends courage at this difficult time. May he rest in peace and justice prevail. What a senseless loss!

So, Sad, sorry I did not know him, sounds like he was a great guy by all the posts who had many friends who now miss him.

My point in writing is that Bunta71 wrote:

...according to my sources there were four cars trying to take him to the hospital but the Thai police refused to let him be moved until they took all their pictures and finished the investigation. Meanwhile Peter layed there and bled to death. Any insight?

I would not have taken much notice of this except for an incident that happened in Jomtien a few weeks ago, "The Flash Light Bomb", as I recall there were pictures taken at the incident with one of the victims lying on the ground as if he was dead but later I read reports that he died in hospital.

I would advise if anyone witnessed or has good information relating to Bunta71's question to contact the German Embassy so they can make representation to the Thai Government at the highest level, I see no point in retribution, it will not bring Peter back but if there are failings in police actions lets hope for changes and if needed retraining.

Edited by Basil B

So, Sad, sorry I did not know him, sounds like he was a great guy by all the posts who had many friends who now miss him.

My point in writing is that Bunta71 wrote:

...according to my sources there were four cars trying to take him to the hospital but the Thai police refused to let him be moved until they took all their pictures and finished the investigation. Meanwhile Peter layed there and bled to death. Any insight?

I would not have taken much notice of this except for an incident that happened in Jomtien a few weeks ago, "The Flash Light Bomb", as I recall there were pictures taken at the incident with one of the victims lying on the ground as if he was dead but later I read reports that he died in hospital.

I would advise if anyone witnessed or has good information relating to Bunta71's question to contact the German Embassy so they can make representation to the Thai Government at the highest level, I see no point in retribution, it will not bring Peter back but if there are failings in police actions lets hope for changes and if needed retraining.

Basil, i was thinking exactly the same when i read that sentance too.

How long would it have been before the camera crews arrived at the scene while someone is seriously injured?

Surely the priority for the first police officer to arrive at a crime scene, accident, etc, where someone is dying is to arrange immediate first aid!

Not arrange media and forensics cameramen to take their photos while the victim dies.

I find this extremely disturbing!

R.I.P. Peter.

Very sad tale. I can not say I knew Peter well but I had a drink in his bar a few times and knew him to say hello to.

Interesting story about his attacker. I lived in Brighton for a few years in the early 90's and saw how quickly drugs could get a hold of someone. The drug of choice then was heroin the drug of choice now seems to be crystal meth which yabba essentially is and the effects seem to be much worse and take hold much quicker.

Yet another reason if I needed one not to run a bar. One of these freaks walk in I checkbin and walk out. The bar owner does not have that option.

Rest in peace.

(for non-English board members Brighton used to be a pleasant English seaside town but is now the drug capital of Europe)

Very sad tale. I can not say I knew Peter well but I had a drink in his bar a few times and knew him to say hello to.

Interesting story about his attacker. I lived in Brighton for a few years in the early 90's and saw how quickly drugs could get a hold of someone. The drug of choice then was heroin the drug of choice now seems to be crystal meth which yabba essentially is and the effects seem to be much worse and take hold much quicker.

Yet another reason if I needed one not to run a bar. One of these freaks walk in I checkbin and walk out. The bar owner does not have that option.

Rest in peace.

(for non-English board members Brighton used to be a pleasant English seaside town but is now the drug capital of Europe)

agree about the bar bit ..im in the pub trade in ireland since birth(family business) 36 now and ive no intention in opening one there ..i did at first 7 year ago when i went there for the first time,glad i didnt after...may this bar owner who sounds like a gentleman rest in peace

>>for non-English board members Brighton used to be a pleasant English seaside town but is now the drug capital of Europe

Sorry to hear that .I used to like day trips to Brighton when i lived in London .

>>but is now the drug capital of Europe

Amsterdam is surely that ,but the police seem able to deal with it better there ,and i always felt safe walking around central Amsterdam .