Interesting Blog Comment On Thai Society

Yooyung

This is indeed an interesting read but I'm not convinced. Grovelling we are told is cyclical, among other reasons because even the Royal family bows before monks. Yet it seems clear that grovelling is also about hierarchy and power. Are these cyclical? I think not.

I generally agree with much of this ' but as one reply said , lets get down to the real truth.

Also, when paying the prices at the Oriental I'd expect someone to grovel to me at the price BUt in reality the waitress in this case is/was paid to grovel to guests, it's part of the job. The staff are just following Hotel policy. It's not because the staff want to, its because its in their job description!

Les Majesty? I dont see it? I thought it was just a reasonably well written piece on a topic that many ponder. Certainly not intentionally posted to raise controversy. If it does fall into that category then I apologise. I know one must be careful about these things but I didnt see anthing offensive about it.

While he harps on about grovelling this and that I would call it showing respect and also, in the extreme cases;servitude. East is east, west is west...

Prostration, wai'ing, etc.. is all a form of deference but in a respectful non subservient way. It's the same as a bow or a gesture of acquiescence that most westerners barely understand because most developed western countries (especially english speaking ones) have lost this formality. Back in the early 20th century people in the U.S. used to take off their hats in front of elders or stand up when someone of status walked in the room. This tradition has largely died off except in the military or other extremely formal settings.

Edited by wintermute