Birds At Makro And Big C Supermarket

toybits

Everytime I go to Big C or Makro in Chiang Rai, I see birds flying inside the supermarket. How these birds got inside is a mystery to me but one thing I am sure of is that these birds should not be there in the first place.

These birds seems to have made the space inside the shopping center its home - and why not? Food scraps abound, and there are practically no predators to worry about. Talk about living in nirvanah.

I know that this thread should probably be placed in the Chiang Rai section of the forum but placing it here will probably get the attention this topic deserves.

Has anyone seen this happening in other super/hyper markets around Thailand?

Saw it at Makro in Bangkok (Rama 9 is the street I think, but not sure).

there was a table full of minced meat. Small birds sit there and even shit on it. Some (most probably restaurant owner) still bought it.....

'Curt1591' date='2009-12-04 18:44:03' post='3183240']

When I start seeing cats and dogs I'll be concerned!

There was a guy stopped in Makro wandering around with a dog held high above his head , when stopped by staff and told animals were not allowed in the store he said " It is okay young man , you see I am blind and this is my guide dog , we were only having a look around " .

When I start seeing cats and dogs I'll be concerned!

That only happens in 7-11. I've been to a few with stray dogs just chillin inside, trying to beat the heat.

Seen the birds a few times before. Not really sure how they're supposed to get them out.

Birds I have seen in most shopping malls in Pattaya. What really freaked me (and my wife) out was entering Carrefour, passing the "10 items or less" check out counters, and seeing a large rat in the left corner by those freezers that contain ready-made burgers etc.  

As it stood absolutely still I was unsure for a moment if it was in fact a live one and not a toy left by a child. But when I approached it ran behind the aforementioned freezers.

I went over to the fresh meat section and got hold of the farang that was working there. When I had explained what I observed he said: "I will call security!"  :)

Saw it at Makro in Bangkok (Rama 9 is the street I think, but not sure).

there was a table full of minced meat. Small birds sit there and even shit on it. Some (most probably restaurant owner) still bought it.....

No problem - tastes same same chin-chok shit !!! :)

It seems that the management of these establishments do not seem to care about it. Perhaps when bird flu starts kicking in this winter season, they just might start doing something about it. I really am repelled by the idea of buying bacon with bird excrement in the open chest coolers.

Yes, I've seen them in my local 'mom and pop' supermarket. They fly around the interior of my house also.

So much nicer than the antiseptic supermarkets in the West don't you think?

And before anyone starts with the 'bird 'flu' - well, what happened to that? Was it a simply a fashion do you think?

yes i see them as well no matter what store i go to Tesco, BigC, Carrefour and others. Always in a pair usually. It's funny that you mention it because only us foreigners seem to notice since we don't have birds flying around our stores back home, but they seem to be invisible to Thai people.