Phuket Gazette Investigates Baggage Fee Rip-off Claim

george

Phuket Gazette investigates baggage fee rip-off claim

phuket-Airport-check-in-is-usually-stressful-enough-but-imagine-being-hit-with-a-last-minute-Bt66000-excess-baggage-charge-File-Photo-from-Phuket-International-Airport-1-XDTUGeY.jpg

Airport check-in is usually stressful enough, but imagine

being hit with a last-minute, Bt66,000 excess baggage

charge. File Photo from Phuket International Airport.

PHUKET CITY: -- One unfortunate tourist to Thailand was hit with such an outrageous excess baggage fine he may as well have bought his luggage its own seat on the flight, Time magazine has reported.

The amount in question was approximately USD$ 2,200 or 66,000 baht.

Bob Wolfe of New York told Time he and his wife were flying aboard a Thai International Airways (THAI) flight from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport to Panama.

When he arrived at the check-in counter, check-in staff said each of his four bags were about 2kg or 3kg over the 32kg limi and he would have to pay a penalty.

He would have to pay a penalty, staff told him.

He was sent to a THAI office where, according to Mr Wolfe, a number of employees discussed at length how much he should be charged.

More than an hour later, a figure of 66,000 baht was reached.

Mr Wolfe reluctantly paid the fine, vowing to pursue the matter when he returned home, Time reported.

As of November 24, when the article appeared, Mr Wolfe was still unsure of why he was charged so much – or how the figure was arrived at.

Mr Wolfe tried in vain to get a full explanation of why he was charged so much or a partial refund, the article said.

The airline’s eventual response was that Mr Wolfe was charged three times the normal fee because his bags were not only overweight, but also oversized.

Passengers with bags over 32 kg with total dimensions of more than 80 inches get hit with a triple penalty, the carrier explained.

But Mr Wolfe insisted that at no point were his bags’ dimensions measured by any THAI staff.

Measuring his first two bags, he found that they were 60 and 67 inches respectively.

All four bags were reported to be under the 80-inch limit and thus should not have been subject to the dreaded ‘triple penalty’.

He sent photographs of his bags next to tape measure to the Time journalist, who passed the images on to THAI.

Time reported that they first contacted THAI in August. Going to print in November, they were still awaiting a conclusion on Mr Wolfe’s case from the airline.

The Gazette contacted THAI to investigate the case further.

A senior THAI spokesperson confirmed the amount Mr Wolfe was charged for his excess baggage, saying his case was not unusual.

Bags are charged US$150 (or 3,000 baht) per kilogram over the weight limit, the source said.

“This regulation is clearly marked on all THAI tickets, but most travelers do not pay attention to it,” the source said.

All Star Alliance carriers apply the same excess baggage fees and Mr Wolf’s charge was by no means a record, he said.

The source also said they had personally charged one traveler 100,000 baht or USD$3,000 for excess baggage.

“They were carrying unpolished diamonds, so I assume the owner could afford to pay the fine.”

On November 27 a Russian couple flying out of Suvarnabhumi Airport paid in excess of 40,000 baht in excess baggage charges.

“They didn’t complain, but they were very rich,” the source said.

However, another THAI spokesperson claimed Mr Wolfe did not actually fly with THAI to Panama at all, but with fellow Star Alliance carrier All Nippon Airways (ANA).

The two airlines perate a code share agreement on the route, which means a flight operated by an airline is co-marketed as a flight for one or more airlines, all of which can issue tickets on it.

THAI staff were simply acting as the ground handlers for ANA and Mr Wolfe’s case would therefore have to be dealt with by ANA, the spokesman said.

Mr Wolfe’s bags were in excess of 62 inches, the maximum bag size for ANA, not THAI flights, he added.

So, as yet, it seems a final outcome to Mr Wolfe’s case is a long way off – in Tokyo perhaps.

The underlying message: if asked to pay an excess baggage fee, ask to see the policy in writing and ensure your bags are measured and weighed in front of you.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-12-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

TG's PR skills shine again.

Maybe the airline is correct but when you deal with a reputable news source read by the type of tourist TG wants and Thailand needs, you need to communicate in a professional manner. And management wonders why so many people use alternative carriers?

Edited by geriatrickid

Unless he had some very expensive clothing in those bags I think I would have dumped a bunch of stuff for that price.

One does not react rationally when in this kind of situation

I was charged and paid 5,000 French Francs (almost 800 €) some years ago for taking with me a luggage containing effects that I could have replaced for a fraction of it in Thailand once in the Kingdom (so you see, it does not only happen with Thai)

I was (much younger) upset with an attendant (I eventually complained by writting) and the fear to miss my flight plus an inadequate pride lessen me of this huge amount (at least to me at the time and it was actually more than what I had paid for the fare)

As for the people who do not complain it is just because their complaints get lost between services and it tires them to keep it up (unless this is a hobby, and it would clearly be quite a good one), this is why we never hear of it

Edited by alyx

The article leaves a lasting bad impression of Thai Airways. Sounds like they screwed up on several levels.

>>> charge too much for overweight

>>> not forthright about charges, and methods used to gauge charges

>>> not offering other options, such as unloading some low-cost items

>>> taking an hour to gauge the charge

>>> sloughing off responsibility (an inbred Thai trait) on another airline, even though it was Thai employees who were handling everything.

>>> Insinuating that a customer who appears rich can better afford to pay an exorbitant fee.

Farang, in particular, like a level playing field. If the rules are clear and fair, then ok. Farang don't like subjective allocation of things like fines, predicated on a person's appearance.

For comparison, I once showed up at Eva check in in San Francisco for a flight back to Bangkok. I had a 3rd piece of baggage which was a heavy 8-man inflatable rubber raft (deflated and bound by rope). Though they could have taken me to the cleaners on overweight charges, they only charged me $100. The whole thing took 6 minutes to decide. I'll always remember their decency, and will fly Eva when possible.

>>>

>>>

When I was at Swampy, flying Thai to Phuket and over the limit by more than this guy IIRC, they wanted 150usd. The nice girl at the check in counter just waited till her supervisor wasn't nearby then told me it was OK, and accepted my bags. (Had me wondering how much off the reported wight of the plane was!) And this was after a young french backpacker had seen me frantically trying to re-pack my heavy stuff into my carry on and offered to take one of my bags for me. I was suspicious at first, but it worked well. Lesson learned, when booking internationally, book all the way through, then you get the international weight allowance for domestic flights.

The article leaves a lasting bad impression of Thai Airways. Sounds like they screwed up on several levels.

>>> charge too much for overweight

>>> not forthright about charges, and methods used to gauge charges

>>> not offering other options, such as unloading some low-cost items

>>> taking an hour to gauge the charge

>>> sloughing off responsibility (an inbred Thai trait) on another airline, even though it was Thai employees who were handling everything.

>>> Insinuating that a customer who appears rich can better afford to pay an exorbitant fee.

Farang, in particular, like a level playing field. If the rules are clear and fair, then ok. Farang don't like subjective allocation of things like fines, predicated on a person's appearance.

For comparison, I once showed up at Eva check in in San Francisco for a flight back to Bangkok. I had a 3rd piece of baggage which was a heavy 8-man inflatable rubber raft (deflated and bound by rope). Though they could have taken me to the cleaners on overweight charges, they only charged me $100. The whole thing took 6 minutes to decide. I'll always remember their decency, and will fly Eva when possible.

>>>

>>>

With some airlines there used to be exemption for a 3rd bag of "sporting goods." Havent heard if there still is. Maybe they considered it that, and just charged for some overweight.

Just don't over pack. My son got married in Hawaii a few years ago and the menu called for flour tortilas. We have a place localy that make the best around, I was tasked with bringing them. I purchased 12 dozen the day before departure and packed them in one bag needless to say it was over weight by a few pounds. The lady at the Southwest counter gave me the oppertunity to repack but I just paid the 50 dollar over charge. No problem on the flight from Los Angles Northwest didn't bat an eye.

I have nothing but good feeling that I received from flying on American Airlines.

Since the AA flying to so many cities in the US, covered many places, our family found ourselves taking AA more than other airlines.

We are lucky I guess, for all these years ( 20+ yr) haven't encountered any unpleasant yet. I always taken by their professional attitudes. The flight attendants give you promptly services, sometimes just one look at them, next minute they are asking if you need anything, amazing.

I'm all for them when it's time to deal with the drunks or the unruling passengers, very firm, very death serious and very professional. Good for them.

Once the AA agent told me my baggage was 18+ lbs over the limited, that nice agent pulled me on the side, suggesting that I move some of the stuffs and scattered them in mine and hubby's carry-on, we managed to do that, but still a few lbs overweight, she just let it go. :)

I have nothing but good feeling that I received from flying on American Airlines.

Ditto. 1.2 million flown on American and never any major problem on any of those flights. Sure the stews aren't as hot as any Asian airline but every cent spent and mile traveled with American was well worth it.

I think many posters here are being unfair to Thai Airways. They do have huge expenses with excessive staff and ex government and military taking free flights are sucking huge salaries on the board of directors. As few people still fly them any more due to poor service, expensive tickets and ancient planes they need to make a dollar some way. Fortunately King Power has offered a few tips on their well proven extortion techniques for foreigners that is proving a winner.