Cockatoos,macaw,parrots

Putu.

Perhaps you could show us Parrotheads some exterior photos of your aviary.

Dimensions, size of wire mesh, etc.

Any problems with Zinc poisoning from the mesh?

cheers, :D

johnno

Hi Johnno

Soon I will have a other YouTube . :)

Till now no problems with Zink Poisening

You can avoid it to take the preventative measure of helping to neutralise the effect of new zinc by putting some vinegar into a bowl and painting it onto both sides of the mesh with a paintbrush. Lemon Juice also works , as they are both acidic

You like the picture in your PM :D almost Gungadin

Ps.

Cockatoo for 800 Baht ( campus Khonkaen)

well thats it i know she is bird woman now .I buy new parrot lets me play with it fuss it but not a word she walks into the cage and the dam_n thing starts yacking away like its found a long lost freind,2nd yesterday she is cleaning out her lovebirds and one of them flies out of the cage and dissapears so if it was me well thats one gone but being bird woman she then decides to open the door 1.5metres wide and what happens she goes in the house comes out 3 hours later have anymore gone oh no but the one that flew away has come back and there all sitting there chirping away.Its going to save me money no more steak dinners she is getting sunflower seeds from now on.

Hi Putu94 - I live, some of the time, in Seminyak - I have a small apartment on Jl. Dyana Pura. Noisy at night, but near the beach etc.

I don't know about importing birds from Indonesia. Bribes would be involved, probably at both ends, and this is something that I am not cut out for.

Parrot people in Indonesia would probably be best for information.

Clipping the wings is not neccessary, to stop them flying, simple pinioning of 4 main flight feathers on 1 wing is enough,

Nignoy :)

I think you not really love animals/birds, Pinioning is in my eye's cruel ,it is painful , blood is involved, and they lose there down flight. :D

In many country's it even not aloud . ( only anaesthetic and to young birds)

You want to see your bird is falling down all the time? hurt himself or worse ?.

There must be a penalty for this, Or maybe the bird will give a penalty using his beak.

Clipping is the best way , just like cutting hair , the only thing is that you have to do it a few times a year.

You can train the birds, so that you easily can hold there wings.

I think you have misunderstood ! by pinioning I did not mean the amputation of the last joint of the wing , but the banding of the 4 main flight penns(feathers on both sides) does not spoil the appearance of the bird , they can still fly but only short distances, sorry for the misunderstanding

Hi Putu94 - I live, some of the time, in Seminyak - I have a small apartment on Jl. Dyana Pura. Noisy at night, but near the beach etc.

I don't know about importing birds from Indonesia. Bribes would be involved, probably at both ends, and this is something that I am not cut out for.

Hi FM.

Have you ever heard of people breeding parrots on Bali?

cheers :)

thats not my bird but your correct thats a cockatiel i have a sulphur crested cockatoo and a male eclectus but the bird shop on the opposite side to bkk pattaya hospital about 1/2 k further up normally has a good selection from pheasents ducks etc up to macaws price not to bad compared with some i have been quoted but you have to haggle a bit with the lady that owns the shop

I think you have misunderstood ! by pinioning I did not mean the amputation of the last joint of the wing , but the banding of the 4 main flight penns(feathers on both sides) does not spoil the appearance of the bird , they can still fly but only short distances, sorry for the misunderstanding

Hi Nignoy

sorry for the misunderstanding , it is that I have to think write and read in a other language :)

you have more information "banding the 4 main flight penns" ? Pictures or drawings ?

Thanks and greetings

Hi FM.

Have you ever heard of people breeding parrots on Bali?

cheers :D

Hi Gungadin

I have contacts with Bali Bird Park, ( have a appointment to see them,} after I'm back from Bali I will give you more Info.

We are busy to work out a big Aviary 12 x 6 x 6 ( and a few smaller ones), also for this I will keep this forum informed

The farm in Isan has also Lori's but it is still a problem to breed them.

Cheers :)

Same question for MrWiggle, which foto ?

Hi fridgemagnet

Yes yes I know the area, a big different with the north ( but that is a other topic :) )

In the meantime I have contacts in Gianyar, so I will see what comes out of it

Sampai Jumpat

Hi Guys

If you are looking for parrots, Maccaw, Cookatoos, African Greys etc. I suggest you check out the Sanam Luang 2 markets in Thonburi.

I've been there a few times and they have a very good range of birds. They also have some very cheap (sorry no pun intended) babies birds for sale. Although they need to be hand feed.

Craig

^^^^ Unless you are very experienced at hand feeding baby parrots, stay clear.

The vendors will tell you it's easy... It is not.! :)

Never buy an unweaned parrot.

Insist on hand-raised birds. :D & pay a bit extra.

I second Gunga Din's recommendation. In the States I bought an African grey once that was "just a few days short" of being weaned and trusted the seller that it would be easy. Two days later I thought I'd end up killing the poor bird for my lack of skills. Fortunately the seller had a second potential buyer and fell for the "I'm allergic" complaint I gave her and took the bird back. Never again! Had a gray and several conures after that, but was always sure to watch them eat independently before I would accept them.

I second Gunga Din's recommendation. Fortunately the seller had a second potential buyer and fell for the "I'm allergic" complaint I gave her and took the bird back. Never again! Had a gray and several conures after that, but was always sure to watch them eat independently before I would accept them.

It is wonderful to know your own skills, especially for the birds ,I'm agree with both of you. compliment :D

Myself I hand feed the baby's for many years, only one have died some years ago. ( I learn the skills together with a breeder)

A big advantage (I find ) they even get more attached to you, they not fly away when you touch the wings ( clipping) (even you can put them under your shirt :D )

When you hand feed "different birds" , example, Conure/ Cockatiel/ the Grey/ Cockatoo , the fit very good together, when they are already independent it is more difficult.

If your gage is big enough get a palm tree (trunk) and make a hole's in it , the conures love it. (In our new Aviary we will have also cactus )

See you Parrot/bird Lovers :D

I could not agree more!

It is a difficult thing to do and very demanding, lucky I've done it many times before.

I'm suggesting anyone should by the babies, just that this place is quite intersesting and has lots of nice birds.

Craig

[

That's good Putu...... I'll buy the chicks & you can hand feed 'em. :D

Ok No problem :D You still want them back ? :D

But when our Aviary ( 12 x 6 x 6 ) is ready we will/can do it .... asking some donation for the Aviary :)

If some bird lovers have good idea's , practical and/ or theoretical for the aviary not hesitate to write or send PM

By the way Gungadin you have received my pm ? about Indonesia etc.

greetings

[

That's good Putu...... I'll buy the chicks & you can hand feed 'em. :D

rectification

Ok No problem :D You still want them back ? :D

When our Aviary ( 12 x 6 x 6 ) is ready we will/can do it .... not asking any donation for the Aviary :)

If some bird lovers have good idea's , practical and/ or theoretical for the aviary not hesitate to write or send PM

By the way Gungadin you have received my pm ? about Indonesia etc.

greetings

Edited by Putu94

All this talk of hand raising is great,and it helps to imprint young birds or animals on their handlers or caregivers, but the downside is we create whole species of pets who cannot raise their own young ones, with birds it is not so bad because of the success of subtraction breeding programs, but handraising primates or felines is the downfall of many captive breeding programs, there are many horror stories of people using handraised creatures in breeding programs and animals or birds have killed or eaten their own young, Near The australia zoo in Beerwah queensland australia , there is a private facility full of hopeless neurotic, manic parrots cockatoo,s who are given up by their owners,cared for by dedicated carers with the hope that in years to come they can either be released or gradually be put back into group aviaries, always remember some well kept captive birds outlive their owners!!