Cockatoos,macaw,parrots

cant put with other birds; need lots of human contact and stimulation\toys

bina

have to disagree with you bina my cockatoo loves being with other birds and also she spends roughly 8 hours a day with me and the wife so much that she now walks round the house rather than fly in fact if she does fly has she is not clipped its more of a shock to her like shit what happened there haha she even climbs down off the sofa rather than just jump.

cockatoos are very lovey dovey type parrots. they really like cuddling and physical attention. most of the hand reared ones i've known didnt take kindly to other winged animals coming in to their space. grey africans are something different all togethr.

i think african greys are smarter and more sensitive, but a bit less cuddly. for a parrot.

conures are great.

good luck either way

bina

cockatoos are very lovey dovey type parrots. they really like cuddling and physical attention. most of the hand reared ones i've known didnt take kindly to other winged animals coming in to their space. grey africans are something different all togethr.

i think african greys are smarter and more sensitive, but a bit less cuddly. for a parrot.

conures are great.

good luck either way

bina

i know what you mean about affection if my wife is lying on the sofa watching tv and she has the dog one side and the cockatoo the other the cockatoo if it thinks the dog is getting more affection will walk over her knee hiss at the dog to move which it does so the cockatoo can sit that side strange to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^^ Good choice. :) Good luck & keep us posted.

I found some back copies of a Thai parrot mag yesdy.

I asked Pookie to call a few of the numbers listed in the classified section for Hahns Macaws, no luck so far but the mag is worth looking for if you're a parrot-head.

It's called "Birds World" cover price 59bt. A4 format and ltd colour pages.

Not sure if it's easy to find, maybe try Asia Books.

well ended up buying an electus male and theres been no fighting seem to be getting on well together so will see how they go

I understand they have very special food needs?

They are such beautiful parrots. I know nothing about their personalities...but they are something I have considered.

• 2 weeks later...

African Grey are extremely intelligent birds, the thing is that you have to take care everyday at least one hour to talk to play with them, our grey goes very well together with the Eclectus, / Cockatiel /Hook-bills and Finches . They are Compatible birds ( And.... together with the Green Iguna)

And remember a bored or neglected african grey , is often not a very happy bird.

Sunbirds ( Conures) are very sociable , the go together with the Eclectus but not with the African Grey ,anyhow many depend also if you grow them up together.

The prices (a farm here in Isan) African Grey 10.000 Bath, Eclectus 3.500 Bath , Conures between 800 and 1500 baht ( (all about 8 weeks)

Our birds who lives in a big aviary are very happy ( see YouTube movie) :D

Also the problem of ants we have solved :)

Enjoy :D

Edited by Putu94

African Grey are extremely intelligent birds, the thing is that you have to take care everyday at least one hour to talk to play with them, our grey goes very well together with the Eclectus, / Cockatiel /Hook-bills and Finches . They are Compatible birds ( And.... together with the Green Iguna)

And remember a bored or neglected african grey , is often not a very happy bird.

Sunbirds ( Conures) are very sociable , the go together with the Eclectus but not with the African Grey ,anyhow many depend also if you grow them up together.

The prices (a farm here in Isan) African Grey 10.000 Bath, Eclectus 3.500 Bath , Conures between 800 and 1500 baht ( (all about 8 weeks)

Our birds who lives in a big aviary are very happy ( see YouTube movie) :D

Enjoy :D

dont suppose you have a female electus for sae do you??

cant put with other birds; need lots of human contact and stimulation\toys

bina

have to disagree with you bina my cockatoo loves being with other birds and also she spends roughly 8 hours a day with me and the wife so much that she now walks round the house rather than fly in fact if she does fly has she is not clipped its more of a shock to her like shit what happened there haha she even climbs down off the sofa rather than just jump.

Hi, have got to agree with bina it is better to err on the side of caution,your bird sounds very imprinted on you and your wife, very careless not to have your bird pinioned one day you will lose it, maybe not this week or next month but believe me it will happen :)

hope not butyou never know she oves all people but especially my wife will follow her everwere flys round the house and garden but 1 call and straight back to her but inmy opinion its if you spend time with them or not???

Because of the food , always will be there the problem of Ants

The Tip !

Use Dog Powder like Chaingard or Bearing , it works perfect, in the dry season over a month.

The Ants get disorientated,

no harm for you the kids or the birds , but off course always take care and not over do :D

Putu94 do you have young Sun Conures for sale?

(Aratinga solistalis)

Hello Fridgemagnet

We not sale our birds (sorry) We have a good farm here in Isan (Phu Wiang) but it is a long way from Chiang Mai.

This is also not the good time in March April they will have unweaned birds again.

Anyhow you have to be skilled in handfeeding, so the babies will never suffering.

If you breed unweaned baby's you will see that they are very attach to you , but also that Conures / Cocatiel/Eclectus and Finches can be good together :D

Latin Name of the Sun Conure = Arantinga Solstitiales.

A question of Topic, where you have lived in Bali ? We lived 6 years in Lovina and Singaraja.

A other Question;

Is there anybody who knows if it is possible to import Birds/Iguanas from Bali/Indonesia to Thailand?

:)

Sampai Jumpa

Edited by Putu94

Putu94, where do you recommend one buy conures?

Hello Phetaroi

I know there are some farms around BKK, A few years back we buy some unweaned Conures , but we where not happy whit this farm ( to expensive) and I forgot the name :D

The farm we have here is a very good one ( See also my answer to Fridgemagnet) also for African Grey

Many time you hear not to buy in Chatuchak , but if you have knowledge of the birds you can buy very nice and good birds,

I would ask if I can see the farm ? :):D

Greetings

Hi Putu.

Your Sunnys have the best feather and colour I've seen in Thailand.

The less green the better.

Hand raised in BKK markets, they would sell for 2500-3000bt each. :D

Does the Isaan bird farm sell a variety of Pyrrhura Conures?

Crimson Bellied, Fiery Shouldred etc...

I'll PM you later about Bali / Indonesia.

If you know someone with a Palm Oil plantation,

try to get a few Kgs of the (fresh) palm fruit Your Afriican Grey will go nuts for them, any fruit left over can be washed & frozen for feeding at a later date.

Thanks for the video, well done! :)

<h1 class="ha"></h1>

Hi Putu.

Your Sunnys have the best feather and colour I've seen in Thailand.

Does the Isaan bird farm sell a variety of Pyrrhura Conures?

Crimson Bellied, Fiery Shouldred etc...

I'll PM you later about Bali / Indonesia.

If you know someone with a Palm Oil plantation,

Hi Gungadin

Thanks for the nice reply and the compliment :D

As you likely will know the colour depend on food and vitamin, They love to destroy the mango tree's :D but they are very happy birds.

In March we will go again to the farm, then I will tell you witch birds they sell, (out of Conure/African Grey/ and Eclectus)

Oeps the Bkk Markets grr :D even here in Mahasarakham I can get them for Less (much) ( in a bookstore :) )

For the Palm Oil Plantation I will ask a friend

Looking forward to your PM :D

post-61423-1262763375_thumb.jpg

post-61423-1262763403_thumb.jpg

Love the sun conures, not sure if eccies are a good choice as a family pet, doesnt matter male or female, they start to become very territorial and dangerous,in many of the modern zoos or parks I have been involved with, 4 and 5 year old professionally handraised eccies have attacked their handlers, you hardly ever see a mature eccy in a public exhibition or show,any of the cockatoo genus would be a good choice, or the diamond geezers of the bird world the grey parrot, whether congo or timneh they are brilliant as pets and display birds, sadly we had to give up our parrots and lorikeets due to my heart problems ,a red tailed black cockatoo called elvis was a crowd pleaser for many years and our Moluccan hendrix is still entertaining old folks in a retreat in country queensland, best of luck with your choice :)

hope not butyou never know she oves all people but especially my wife will follow her everwere flys round the house and garden but 1 call and straight back to her but inmy opinion its if you spend time with them or not???

Nignoy:Hi, have got to agree with bina it is better to err on the side of caution,your bird sounds very imprinted on you and your wife, very careless not to have your bird pinioned one day you will lose it, maybe not this week or next month but believe me it will happen .

++++++++++++

Hi Stevef

I have to agree with Nignoy, there will be a time that you will lose your bird, not forget a bird is not like a dog, food is the most important, even a Grey will fly away.

Last year my Iguana opened the door ( very clever )( or better I make the mistake to not lock the door ) :D two of sunnies fly out , (yes with some wind they will fly even with "Clib wings") 3 days they been away.

I am only lucky ,that where I live there is not much to get for them so they came back on the Aviary ( and lucky that they not shoot the birds :) )

"Clib the wings" is always a discussion point, I believe it is necessary ( if you do it on a good way) with full wings the birds are more aggressive, they want to fly,

The most of this birds fly a little ,

to get food in nature they use there " 3 legs" :D

When you clib the wings you have also more chance to train them ,

Edited by Putu94

Nignoy:Hi, have got to agree with bina it is better to err on the side of caution,your bird sounds very imprinted on you and your wife, very careless not to have your bird pinioned one day you will lose it, maybe not this week or next month but believe me it will happen .

++++++++++++

Hi Stevef

I have to agree with Nignoy, there will be a time that you will lose your bird, not forget a bird is not like a dog, food is the most important, even a Grey will fly away.

Last year my Iguana opened the door ( very clever )( or better I make the mistake to not lock the door ) :D two of sunnies fly out , (yes with some wind they will fly even with "Clib wings") 3 days they been away.

I am only lucky ,that where I live there is not much to get for them so they came back on the Aviary ( and lucky that they not shoot the birds :) )

"Clib the wings" is always a discussion point, I believe it is necessary ( if you do it on a good way) with full wings the birds are more aggressive, they want to fly,

The most of this birds fly a little ,

to get food in nature they use there " 3 legs" :D

When you clib the wings you have also more chance to train them ,

Clipping the wings is not neccessary, to stop them flying, simple pinioning of 4 main flight feathers on 1 wing is enough,

Clipping the wings is not neccessary, to stop them flying, simple pinioning of 4 main flight feathers on 1 wing is enough,

Nignoy :)

I think you not really love animals/birds, Pinioning is in my eye's cruel ,it is painful , blood is involved, and they lose there down flight. :D

In many country's it even not aloud . ( only anaesthetic and to young birds)

You want to see your bird is falling down all the time? hurt himself or worse ?.

There must be a penalty for this, Or maybe the bird will give a penalty using his beak.

Clipping is the best way , just like cutting hair , the only thing is that you have to do it a few times a year.

You can train the birds, so that you easily can hold there wings.