Insulation To Block Noise Coming Into My Apt

pulpfiction

I live in Bangkok and there is a lot of neighbor noise coming into my apt through the door. The door quality is poor and I have a little alcove inside the door where I could wedge these two 8foot by 3foot pieces into the alcove to block the sound coming in.

I can't figure out where I can buy 2 big pieces of foam or other sound insulating material.

I have talked to a professional but he wants 80,000 baht to build something. I'm just looking for something cheap and easy. Just one big piece of maybe 2 pieces (2 pieces would be easier to store when not in use).

Any help or creative ideas would be appreciated.

There was a recent topic concerning "foam pads" for a bed but I can't remember what board. Try doing a search.

You might also just consider investing in some noise-canceling earphones (like the Phillips variety) and use them during the noisier moments. About USD 100.

Good luck.

I'm not sure that bed foam pads would have very good sound insulating qualities. Would need to be a tight packing of foam or tight weave of heavy cloth material.

Also the headphones idea won't work because I have a family and we can't all walk around with them on :)

Change apartment. Rent in a new development, and next time check those doors.

If you need the Sound of Silence, look for a unit at Avenue 61 in Bangkok. Main entrance door is over a 100kg with a bottom gap not exceeding 5mm. Only way to speak to someone outside the door is to open it.

UPVC casement door would be the cheapest and more effective way of stopping your neighbours noise coming through your entrance ballpark 20k inc fitting a double skin wall - depends on how big the door/frame/ wall with the door way is

I'd be tempted to fit a separate plywood door in the alcove with a couple of sheets of Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass (rockwool) liquid nails'd to it. This material is commonly used for acoustically treating sound rooms, mainly as bass traps etc. Had a quote from a firm in Bangkok that makes an equivalent but don't have it to hand... something like 500 baht for a 2.5m x 0.5 m sheet. It's 100mm thick and can easily be covered to prevent brushing up against it. Perhaps google "rigid fiberglass bangkok" or similar. Not great for higher frequencies like screeching voices, but the very physicality of it would stop some of that type of sound.

Something like this:

coco.jpg

Best way I have seen is to have a heavy pleated felt drape that covers the door; weight the bottom with a chain, let it rub on the floor. Hang it from a curtain rod so you can push it to the side when you come and go.

You need to stop direct transmission into the apartment, and just adding insulation on the walls in the entry won't fix line-of-sight transmissions.

Yep, drapes are good for top end sound and would work well together with the rigid fiberglass, although the plywood would also have the same effect. The beauty of course with the drapes is that they'll cover the gaps and would also add a finishing touch.