Uk Spouse Visa Valid In France?

Now that my daughter-in-law is safely back in UK with her spouse visa, what is her position if we want to take a day trip to France, or visit my daughter in Germany, and so on?

Does she have to apply somewhere for a visa for each country visited?

Has anyone any experience of returning to UK from such a visit and having any trouble at Dover? For instance her long-awaited arrival at Heathrow last week from Bangkok was not straight forward at all in spite of her having all the necessary papers.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone about their experiences travelling outside UK on a spouse visa. She would love to travel a bit now she is back here, but we can't judge if it would be worth any possible problems at border controls.

Being married to a UK citizen entitles her to visit any othere shezan country without a visa. Eg. if you your son and daughter were in Thailand then she could acompany him to France without a visa - although she would need a visa to visit her spouses home country - the UK.

This is a little know rule.

Being married to a UK citizen entitles her to visit any othere shezan country without a visa. Eg. if you your son and daughter were in Thailand then she could acompany him to France without a visa - although she would need a visa to visit her spouses home country - the UK.

How absurd, and we moan about Thai regulations and bureaucracy.

Umm do you have a link to that "little known rule" please doomster cause that is completely opposite of everything that has ever been posted here on thaivisa.

OP simple answer, no, she cannot use her UK visa to visit France, Germany or any other schengen country. UK is not part of the schengen agreement & therefore a UK visa of any kind does not allow entry to any schengen states.

Your daughter in law will need to apply for a schengen visa at the relevant embassy of her point of entry.

And FYI, my Thai husband applied for & received 2 schengen visas whilst living in UK on settlement visa. We traveled once to Spain & once to Sweden & both times his pasport was thoroughly checked to ensure he had the relevant entry visa to those countries.

Shengen visa should be free for the spouse of a British citizen,

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Any idea how long such a visa takes to get? Eg for a short trip to France - and whether one visa lasts long enough to cover several visits? My d-i-l was talking to a young Thai pianist a couple of days ago, and he apparently said he was getting tired of playing in European competitions because of the time and effort involved in getting visas every time, and that it took about 3 weeks. He is here on a student visa, which may be less flexible than a spouse visa.

It does sound a cumbersome system. If we drive to visit my daughter in Germany, we pass through France Belgium and Holland on the way, and once through Luxembourg (but have never been asked for our passports), so would that mean approaching five embassies for five separate visas just in case we were stopped? Or are you telling me that one Schengen visa covers all the countries?

Nice to know the visas are free, at least.

Edited by enquirer

Somebody's taking the Pi55, I think.

No, only one visa application needed, usually to the country of entry & this will cover a single trip over multiple countries but there is an option to apply for a multi entry (presumably if you can prove you would make multiple visits & good reason why). The last time my husband got a schengen (both applied for at the swedish embassy btw) took a day to apply & received pp back in a couple of days

Boo is correct

The only difference is that, when applying for a visas as an EU citizen's spouse, some boxes on the form do not have to be filled in (and , of course it is easier to get a visa when in this situation)

Furthermore one visa and one only for all countries belonging to the Schengen space: I should add that Switzerland, although not a part of it, dooesn't require another visa once one has the Schengen visa

Edited by alyx

yes she will need a visa to go to schengen countries,i'm german,living in guernsey,when we go to germany i do the visa by post for my wife,doesn't cost anything and is back within three days,the last one i made in march this year is multi entry and its valid for 90 days visit till 2011

cheers matt

Somebody's taking the Pi55, I think.

Not at all> I have a friend living 6 months in England and 6 months in Thailand - married to a Thai. He has an Irish passport and takes his wife back and forth to the Uk without having to obtain a UK visa. She simply has her PP endorsed by the emassy. there is no visa application and can not be refused.

So check it out. As I said miss know it all boo - it is a little known rule. I am trying to be helpfull here. Read little known rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by doomster

That makes sense, a NI passport presumably?

That being the case and in all fairness to Boo, that's a fairly unique combination which will likely not apply to mainland UK residents I would guess.

And for the benefit of Boo: UK passports issued in Northern Island have to consider the proximity of NI to the border with the South which then becomes EU territory hence freedom to travel into Europe is likely different.

so your friend is a member of the schengen state living in UK not a UK passport holder right? And does his wife have an EU family permit or a British settlement visa?

These are important pieces of information that you didn't make clear when you posted clearly misleading information to the op.

There is nothing "know it all" in my post only the actual facts. If you can provide the link that proves that the wife of a UK passport holder with a UK Settlement visa is entitled to travel to the Schengen countries without a visa then please provide it as that is not the situation as you have now laid it out.

so your friend is a member of the schengen state living in UK not a UK passport holder right? And does his wife have an EU family permit or a British settlement visa?

These are important pieces of information that you didn't make clear when you posted clearly misleading information to the op.

There is nothing "know it all" in my post only the actual facts. If you can provide the link that proves that the wife of a UK passport holder with a UK Settlement visa is entitled to travel to the Schengen countries without a visa then please provide it as that is not the situation as you have now laid it out.

I don't know the factual answer to this question but it does seem probable that the foreign wife of a UK passport holder whose passport was issued in NI may well not require a UK visa, merely proof of marriage to the passport holder. The reason I think that is because, a) some legislation governing NI is different from that in mainland UK, and, :) given the close proximity of a very porous border between NI and Eire (Europe) the immigration/visa process into the UK as we currently understand it may only be enforced at mainland borders - in other words it all makes much sense and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

As I said, I don't know the factual answer to the issue but I strongly suspect that scenario or similar prevails.

Isn't an Irish passport for the Republic & not NI which is part of the UK & therefore comes under the UK passport?

The republic is a schengen state & therefore the wife of an Irish passport holder would be governed by different rules for schengen states than the wife of a UK passport holder.

The republic is a schengen state & therefore the wife of an Irish passport holder would be governed by different rules for schengen states than the wife of a UK passport holder.

I am very sorry to correct you Boo but for clarity Ireland is not a Schengen State, though like you I would like know about this little known rule that has been referred to.

Whilst EEA nationals have the right to live and work in The UK as do their families, Non - EEA family members should get an EEA family permit before they travel to the UK if they are visa nationals, maybe this is what he is referring to, but UKBA can still, and do refuse some applications.

Isn't an Irish passport for the Republic & not NI which is part of the UK & therefore comes under the UK passport?

If you hold a UK passport and an Irish passport you can go down either the EU/UK visa route as you are living in NI you can excersise your treaty rights.

Quite wrong

The UK is not in the Schengen group of countries.

So a UK visa is valid for the UK

If she wants to go to any Schengen country, get a Schengen visa.

If my wife goes with me to the Netherlands with a Schengen visa I can visit all Schengen countries with that visa.

For the UK I need a seperate visa.

I am afraid Doomster might not be right!

A UK visa DOES NOT entitle you to the Shengen countries.

And this Shengen visa has to be obtained at the embassy of the country you will enter that "shengen area".

Now, the French are known to be quite "difficult" at issuing visa out of Bangkok. They might ghave a different attitude in their London embassy...

And FYI, my Thai husband applied for & received 2 schengen visas whilst living in UK on settlement visa. We traveled once to Spain & once to Sweden & both times his pasport was thoroughly checked to ensure he had the relevant entry visa to those countries.

Shengen visa should be free for the spouse of a British citizen,

Boo, are you 100% sure about the Shengen visa being free for the spouse of a British citizen? I only ask because my wife and I have just booked a holiday to Spain next May and so we'll need to get a Shengen visa, thanks.

Brigante7.

That's what we have been told & neither schengen cost us anything but I suppose it is up to the issuing embassy, maybe they decide to levy it's own "admin" fee.

Apologies about thinking the replublic was part of the schengen state, that's what I love about thaivisa, someone will always know the answer :)

From The French Consulate in London

Some concessions will apply:

- The visa will be free of charge, on presentation of the appropriate evidence to*:

- children under the age of 6 applying for a short stay Schengen visa;

- French teachers;

- researchers travelling to France in order to conduct scientific researches;

- teachers and children travelling on a school trip;

- spouses of French Nationals;

- spouses of European Union citizens;

- dependant children, under the age of 21, of European Union citizens, all but French nationals;

- dependant parents of European Union citizens, all but French nationals;

- holders of diplomatic, service and official passports.

Too clarify, as there has been some misleading and ill informed information posted here.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK; therefore a UK visa is valid for Northern Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, therefore a UK visa is not valid for the RoI and a RoI visa is not valid for any part of the UK, including Northern Ireland.

The RoI constitution says that anyone born in Northern Ireland is a RoI citizen and so is entitled to a RoI passport. As they are also British they are, of course, also entitled to a UK one.

It is true that if travelling by land or sea the border controls between the UK and RoI are practically non existent and it is unlikely that a passport would be checked. However, if a visa national were to enter the UK from the RoI without the appropriate visa then they would be in the UK illegally; and vice versa.

Neither the UK nor the RoI are members of the Schengen area; so a Schengen visa is not valid for either. Neither is a UK or RoI visa valid for the Schengen area.

Spouses of an EU citizen who need to obtain a Schengen visa only have to complete a small part of the application form (see form) and the visa is free and should be issued with the minimum of delay.

A Schengen visa must be free to the spouse of an EU citizen, and no admin charges are allowed. However, some embassies in the UK insist on applicants making an appointment via a premium rate phone number!

A Schengen visa is valid for all member countries. One should apply to the embassy of the country one intends to enter first, but you can change your mind after the visa is issued and enter via a different country.

EEA family permits are different to Schengen visas. They allow any EEA citizen exercising their treaty rights to live in another EEA state to have their nonEEA spouse and children join them. They are not valid for the country of which the EEA national is a citizen, except in certain circumstances.

If anyone disagrees with any of the above, will they provide a link to an official site to substantiate their point.

PS. Calling someone with whom you disagree a 'know it all' or similar will not be tolerated. Any further comments along these lines will be deleted and may result in the member posting them being warned or suspended.