Los Angeles Consulate

Hoping to get a non-immigrant "0" visa March 2010 from LA Consulate. I will marry in April and then extend it through marriage requirements 400,000 or 40,000. Is that a reasonable request for LA consulate. Hoping to avoid coming on a tourist visa and then having to change it to non-imm "0" after arriving in Thailand. I am 62.

At the age of 62 you can also apply for a (multiple) non-O based on retirement. Once inside Thailand you can ask for an extension of stay based on marriage without any problem. The visa doesn't even list the reason under which you got it.

Note that is you can meet the requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement (65,000 a month income or 800,00 in a Thai bank account or a combination of both totaling 800,000) it is a much easier way than to extend your stay based on marriage.

Don't know about the specifics of the LA consulate.

You will not be able to get a Non-Imm "O" if you are not even married yet. You said that you will visit the consulate in March but marry in April? The consulate will not accept your application based on "I"m gonna get married in Thailand next month so please give me the correct visa now". Check the LA consulate website as it specifically says that fiancee status is not accepted for Non-Imm "O". So you must show a valid marriage certificate before they grant you this type of visa.

Edited by khunjake

You will not be able to get a Non-Imm "O" if you are not even married yet. You said that you will visit the consulate in March but marry in April? The consulate will not accept your application based on "I"m gonna get married in Thailand next month so please give me the correct visa now". Check the LA consulate website as it specifically says that fiancee status is not accepted for Non-Imm "O". So you must show a valid marriage certificate before they grant you this type of visa.

The above is NOT entirely correct.

I think Lopburi already mentioned this - YES you can get a single entry Non-Immigrant-O good for only 90 days. Several years ago my partner applied for a Non-O multiple entries but they told him that this visa can only be issued if he was married to a thai woman - but they gave him a single entry Non-O instead based on retirement which he then converted into a one year once he arrived here in Thailand.

And certain consulate(s) can/will issue a Non-Immigrant-O with multiple entries based on visiting friends/relatives (not just if you're married to a Thai woman).

Edited by whatchamacallit

The above is NOT entirely correct.

I think Lopburi already mentioned this - YES you can get a single entry Non-Immigrant-O good for only 90 days. Several years ago my partner applied for a Non-O multiple entries but they told him that this visa can only be issued if he was married to a thai woman - but they gave him a single entry Non-O instead based on retirement which he then converted into a one year once he arrived here in Thailand.

And certain consulate(s) can/will issue a Non-Immigrant-O with multiple entries based on visiting friends/relatives (not just if you're married to a Thai woman).

Were talking about LA consulate here. Other embassies/consulate do issue "O" based on other reasons which I do know aout. From what I am hearing though, that window of "visiting friends" on "O" basis is closing quite rapidly now as many of those "visiting friends" are actually working illegally in the country.

The O-A is a non immigrant O visa with a pre-(A)pproved extension of stay for one year. You can also obtain a non immigrant O visa at most Consulates if over age 50 with explanation you intended to apply for retirement extension of stay in Thailand.

From what I am hearing though, that window of "visiting friends" on "O" basis is closing quite rapidly now as many of those "visiting friends" are actually working illegally in the country.

and the ones getting the Non-O based on married to a Thai woman are not?? Well I'll be darn!!! :)

Edited by whatchamacallit