Majoo University Plantsale

SM7WGP

To information about Maejoo University Plantsale and fair, This starts today just passed threw the compound any many sellers there .

My wife took a look in the plants for sale and she came back its to expensive cheaper behind Tesco Lotus Camtien. :)

Oh, I finally figured it out! The plants at the Maejo Plant Fair are more expensive than those sold at the nurseries near Tesco Lotus Camtein (? ) So, why should I go to the Maejo Plant Fair? What does it offer that I won't find at the nurseries near the Tesco Lotus? What are the hours, dates, location of the plant fair?

Hubby and I enjoyed the recent CMU Ag Fair, walking thru their demo plots and buying some plants for the small balcony at our new townhouse. We'd love to get some poinsettas (in really good condition) and also some slow-release fertilizer (like the US brand Osmocote) for the potted trees on our new front porch.

But, we dont' have a car and have to rely on song thaews. It was quite a production to get our new balcony plants home from the CMU Ag Fair, so we don't go on a plant buying trip without the expectation that our efforts (and song thaew fare) bring results.

Nancy if you liked the CMU Festival then you will love the Mae Jo Festival. The plants, trees, etc. at Mae Jo were so cheap last year it was silly. The growers come from all over Thailand and are experts in their fields. Many have Masters, some Ph.D.'s, etc. and most are fluent in English. You can talk with them and they will advise you on how to care for your plant purchases. They had beautiful orchids, Bonsai, animals and livestock, Muay Thai, antique cars and many other interesting things to do and see. Some lovely ladies too, I might add. :)

You can buy the best plant foods you could imagine there. Many of the growers formulate their own.

There should be many songtaews heading up there each day. Most are full of people carrying plants on the way back - no problem.

The best prices can be had on the last day, as the vendors would rather carry cash than their plants that haven't sold. As far as selection of plants...in the past I have seen much more variety and many rare plants if you just look around. Also many new cultivars.

Looking foreward to it this year, as the CMU fair was just a fraction of what the Maejo fair has been in the past.

The best prices can be had on the last day, as the vendors would rather carry cash than their plants that haven't sold. As far as selection of plants...in the past I have seen much more variety and many rare plants if you just look around. Also many new cultivars.

Looking foreward to it this year, as the CMU fair was just a fraction of what the Maejo fair has been in the past.

Agree with everything jaideeguy says. Keep in mind that on the last day there are thousands of people trying to buy at the best price (including re-sellers) so the selection is thin, difficult to park, etc., etc.

Was speaking to the SP girl on the chicken counter - very nice by the way, as was the chicken - and she was saying that the cafe closed at 9pm so guessing it could be the same for all.

Some great stuff there, from seedless grape trees to teak Buddha tables and combine harvesters :)

Oh thanks both. Was going to go today, before i read that, but something else came up. Lucky i saw what you wrote now, or i may have ended up wondering why the heck a green songtaew wont take me up to MaeJo. :)

I went on friday and to be honest, I was a bit disapointed.....the change in lay-out due to new construction made it a little more confusing to navigate. spent nearly 4 hrs looking for farm related booths and found lotsa food booths and 2nd hand clothing and lots of junk.....less than 10% farm related. Did pick up a few overpriced, but hard to find in kamtien market.

mabe I missed something....did anyone else find a section where they show and sell irrigation equipment, seeds, advisors, farm projects and/or even farm produce?? I didn't!!

I went on friday and to be honest, I was a bit disapointed.....the change in lay-out due to new construction made it a little more confusing to navigate. spent nearly 4 hrs looking for farm related booths and found lotsa food booths and 2nd hand clothing and lots of junk.....less than 10% farm related. Did pick up a few overpriced, but hard to find in kamtien market.

mabe I missed something....did anyone else find a section where they show and sell irrigation equipment, seeds, advisors, farm projects and/or even farm produce?? I didn't!!

You didn't miss anything. This was only a street market with a few plant sellers and some flower displays. Like you said, only 10% farm related and the rest...once again...food and used clothing and other junk.

The lady I know at Kamtieng told me that there was no "Festival" this year. I talked to her again and she said that the one street and couple of sois were rented out for the street market but that the real "Festival" is when Mae Jo University puts on the Agriculture Festival every other year. The entire University puts on the festival and like last year, you can go into the labs and see the students at work, talk with them and the Professors, etc. There are advisers, farm equipment, irrigation, livestock, cowboys, and plant and tree sellers from all over Thailand.

There was also no classic cars :) ...they will be there next year.

But won't that clash with the planned enhanced-Ratcha Pruek next year, or do they sort-of enhance each other ? By giving more to see, in the area, thus attracting more tourists ? Certainly plenty of tour-buses parked outside the 49-Baht buffets recently ! And had a very-enjoyable visit myself to R-P on Wednesday.

I can confirm that Mae-Jo ended yesterday, as Mrs R returned late-evening with three large grape-vines in pots, sticking out of the back of the pick-up, having got the price down from 2,700B to 1,500B each, from the vendors who didn't want to take them back home to Petchabun again. :)