Did You Drink And Drive Over Songkran?

Neeranam

If you drive a car, did you drink and drive over Songkran?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that the festivities are over, it is time to count the dead. After watching the news this morning, and seeing some devastated families of those killed on the roads over the past few days, I wondered how many people here drank and drove over Songkran, and how many drivers didn't.

I am not going to vote as I don't drink.

I would like only drinkers+carowners to take part in the poll.

Thanks

Edited by Neeranam

Coming from Australia where there are severe penalties and a social stigma associated with drinking and driving, its something I just can't bring myself to do.

I suppose the statistics speak for themselves, The introduction of Random Breath testing and Mandatory seat belts have had a remarkable lowering of the road toll.

I feel to curb the horrific road toll, it requires a social attitude change, rather than a "He have bad luck" attitude.

I feel to curb the horrific road toll, it requires a social attitude change, rather than a "He have bad luck" attitude.

I totally agree mattnich.

Coming from Australia, I understand why you didn't drink and drive, as they really are making it a bad crime there.

I have two friends who drink and drive all the time. They have been in Thailand for a combined 52 years. I guess when they left the UK and USA, things were very different from what they are today.

We must remember that 50 years ago in our home countries, people probably drank and drove., especially in the rural areas.

Those newcomers coming from countries such as OZ, must remember that all expats here have not had the same education.

Coming from Australia where there are severe penalties and a social stigma associated with drinking and driving, its something I just can't bring myself to do.

Same here. Where I worked in Japan I could lose job if caught for drink driving.

Last year I was in a taxi stuck in traffic on south Sathorn and the cab driver directed my attention to a young farang man in car driving with a can of beer in his hand. I told the cab driver to call the police and he didn't bother. It was as if this farang knew that nobody bothers to report him even if people spotted him drinking and driving.

Having driven over 2000 k's around Thailand over Songkran,and lived to tell the tale, I saw lots of obviously drunk drivers(thai). However they normally drive slower although more eratic than the normal insane sober driver(90% of thai drivers on the road).They seem easier to avoid than someone who overtakes you doing 180 down the hard shoulder and then swerves to the outside lane. :o

Yeah not wrong! ...and about seatbelts, I feel naked not wearing one in Thailand. Feels weird in the back seat of a taxi without one!

I actually drove last weekend (in Sydney) after 3 beers in 1.5hrs, might have been close but close is good enough. Still sweating though.

Cheers BaanOz

Having driven over 2000 k's around Thailand over Songkran,and lived to tell the tale, I saw lots of obviously drunk drivers(thai). However they normally drive slower although more eratic than the normal insane sober driver(90% of thai drivers on the road).They seem easier to avoid than someone who overtakes you doing 180 down the hard shoulder and then swerves to the outside lane.

Drunk driving is a big problem here. I have never attempted to drive while intoxicated since I don't even drink alcohol. I agree with the "sober" drivers being a problem; drunk driving is a horrible crime but we also need some sort of standardized and civilized driver's education here. I've seen many of these clowns driving faster than the regular traffic while overtaking on the shoulder at night. Bad enough during the day but at night they wouldn't even be able to see if somebody's car was stalled on the side of the road. Police in some areas have started doing roadside breath checks but it needs to be done nationwide. Also, it would be wise to get those truck drivers to quit drinking that M-150 crap...not the same as alcohol but it certainly affects their driving abilities.

With children aboard i would never consider drinking and driving.

and with other people's childrens in other cars/bikes you may hit?

I voted yes,

But this doesn't mean that I drive drunken. Believe it or not, some people are able to control their consumption.

Regards, Patex

i expect a lot of people who are now dead or have killed people through drunk driving have thought that too.

drunk driving is irresponsible and dangerous and should not be condoned.

I voted "no" cos I have't. (or if I have I've been too P!ssed to remember)

I do sometimes. Things in the sticks are'nt the same as the city where you have public transport. I can usually find someone sober to drive(the wife) or get a lift.

Whats worst letting someone else drive who you know is more drunk/less capable than you so that you can have a clear mind or doing it yourself ?

I voted yes,

But this doesn't mean that I drive drunken. Believe it or not, some people are able to control their consumption.

Regards, Patex

i expect a lot of people who are now dead or have killed people through drunk driving have thought that too.

bkkmadness,

Your expectations in honour, but I still know I can handle it!

Regards, grown up Patex

Hey grown up Patex,

Just saying that is a common misconception which has caused a lot of drink driving deaths over the years.

Though you think you can handle it, alchohol in the system will slow down your reactions in an emergency situation.

Do you think that when you have had a even just a couple of bottles you are as fully alert as when you are 100% sober?

How many units of alchohol do you think you can handle when driving?

Edited by bkkmadness

I voted yes,

Regards, Patex

bkkmadness,

Your expectations in honour, but I still know I can handle it!

Regards, grown up Patex

Some people change there opinions because of reasoned argument and (in cases like drink and driving), out of consideration for others.

Then there are those who need their faces removed by a windscreen or see the expression on the policeman when he tells them their daughter has been killed by a drunken driver, before they see sense.

I guess you, Patex, fall into the second category.

bkkmadness,

ONE big bottle Singha with my eveningmeal, that's my dose. A "Couple" of bottles?? :o

TM, wrong guess,

We allways fasten the seatbelts before starting the engine, and the daughter (15) of my spouse gets all protection we can offer. Be sure, we are very aware about our responsibility. You don't know us, why you dare to judge us?

Patex

bkkmadness,

ONE big bottle Singha with my eveningmeal, that's my dose. A "Couple" of bottles?? :o

TM, wrong guess,

We allways fasten the seatbelts before starting the engine, and the daughter (15) of my spouse gets all protection we can offer. Be sure, we are very aware about our responsibility. You don't know us, why you dare to judge us?

Patex

If you don't want to be judged then don't waste your time writing rubbish like "..some people are able to control their consumption" and "...but I still know I can handle it!".

Better you try a week working as an ambulance driver, then you'll quickly learn that even half a glass is too much!

Edited by Thomas_Merton

In 2001, after about 35 years of total sobriety, I decided I would drink occasionally. I wrote down some reasonable rules, the first one being something like this: "Never take the first SIP of anything alcoholic if the vehicle keys are in your pocket and you're not at home."

I've modified that to permit a small, light beer just before a big meal and a long evening. That's all. I'm in the habit of driving a sportbike, sober and half blind, at high speeds in close quarters. There is no margin for error, not one ounce's margin.

If you drive under the influence of even a single drink, and cause damages, you deserve to be bankrupted.

I'm not judging your whole family at all, I am judging you. Drinking and driving cannot be condoned and if one day you crash under the influence and god forbid one of your family is hurt, will you still the think the same way I wonder?

Any amount of alchohol in the sytem effects your judgement and reactions, this is a medical fact, no disputing that, and when driving a family around in the car you should have more responsibilty towards them and others on the road.

But as you said, we are right and you are wrong so lets leave it at that. I only hope you do actually feel that way and do not endanger your family with your carefree attitude in the future.

Sure, but didn't drink to the point of being seriously intoxicated. (Likely over whatever the limit would be in my home-country, of course)

It's not a smart thing to do though, with the chance of some mishap/accident already being inflated with so many people on the road and/or doing crazy things, it wouldn't help if you've been drinking when having to sort out the mess with police and/or the other party.

So I did drink a bit less than usual before driving. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks for the answers and honesty guys,.

So 27% of expats drink and drive, less than I would have thought.

Out of all the expats I know and have known, I don't know ANY that have ever said, "I have had a couple so I better not drive."

Up in Isarn I have known so many to drive plastered, with many acccidents. Most of them would agree that they have a drink problem though.

You're all soft. You've no idea how strict the laws are in the USA. Coming into law soon is a complete revocation of one's driving license for driving drunk. That means no more driving period, forever. It might not pass, but it's sending a message for sure. With so many taxis and other cheap transportation in Thailand I can't see why anyone would do it.

Edited by mbkudu

Definitely no drinking and driving. I don't even drive or ride here.

Many years ago, I had an accident due to my drinking. Noone was hurt, but I've never done it again. Really shook me up and got me out of the "I'm the best driver in the world after 8 pints of strong lager" delusion.

...Any amount of alchohol in the sytem effects your judgement and reactions...
Don't be a prig, things who are affecting your drivingability are countless, if you can't handle any amount of alcohol in your body don't drink! But please, let me diside for myself :o .

Patex

Voted "Yes" - had one large bottle of Heineken during an evening meal. The place was around 50 kilos away from where we were staying, taxis and/or public transport wasn't an option. The beer was also consumed over a 2 hour period (with loads of ice).

I had an incident while driving under the influence about 2 years ago out here - severe case of leaving my brians in the apartment. Thankfully nobody was hurt and the nothing was damaged, but it really did scare the sh!t out of me. Ever since it's been a case of being sensible, or handing the keys over.