Kuala Lumpur

Mr Red

I may have an opportunity in the future to be transferred to Kuala Lumpur, Malyasia for my company. The chances are slight, but it got me thinking:

1) Not far from BKK -- expect flights back and forth and relatively cheap.

2) Likely situation would be me in KL and my wife in BKK, with frequent visits each way.

3) Company picks up the car, house and pays various allowances, so it would be fairly lucrative.

Question comes to mind is what is KL like? Has anyone lived there? What are the pros and cons?

Appreciate any thoughts.

I was there from 1989 - 91 and have visited more recently.

More organised, easier to get around.

Shops better stocked, also have staff who speak English, well better than the Thais.

Baked beans 15 baht a tin, Marmite, lamb chops mint jelly..............yum!

Generally more expensive.

Less night life, but that may put your wife at ease.

New airport a long way out of town.

I found the undercurrent of racism unacceptable, any government document

asks 1. Nationality, 2. Race!! My answer to No 2. is Human!!

Housing cost generally cheaper.Foreigners can own property under certain conditions.

Service generally tends to be far below the level of LOS. Taxis in KL are a disaster.

Banking systems are good and contrary to what you read and hear very free for transferring money in and out.

KL traffic similar than Bkk, but reasonably good public transport.

Travel to and from(air) a bit limited. Airport far away, but direct train connection to central station(1/2 hr. 35 MYR).

English spoken widely and well. Not a hassle with language like Thailand. People not so friendly to foreigners. Mulit-racial and multi-cultural country. If you are looking for a girlfriend, probably not a productive area, but that is a generality of course.

most probably your company wouldprovide you with housing in Bangsar area, where most of expats as well as KL's hi-so lives - near to new rail way station, which as I know has now new speedy train to the airport.

Bangsar is nice place - not far from Midvalley Mall, huge shopping and entertainment complex in KL

yes, KL is more pleasing than Bkk, although there are some details too. less poluted can be said, and less traffic congested. ppl are more proud of themselves than here in Thailand = particularly of their being Malaysians, having national identity not dependent on western stereotypes and admiration.

gals? chinese are more possible than indian or especially malay. but then - you ahve a wife. I think she won't worry about you being in KL while she is in Bkk - would need to worry more if it was opposite - she in KL and you alone in Bkk ! :o

Agree with most of the previous comments. KL compares reasonably well with Bangkok. Cleaner and better organized, though generally a little more expensive, as has already been said. I found the people to be friendly - they don't regard you as a walking ATM like so many of the Thais. Expats are generally more welcoming and trustworthy, too. Not so much white trash around. Reasonably efficient and easy to get things done. Check in at the airport took all of about 30 seconds last time I was there.

It does have nightlife (the bars certainly don't close at 1.00 am!), though it tends to be a bit more upscale and more expensive than Bangkok. There are some nice places, with a multi-cultural clientele. Look around and you'll find places you like. Girls, too if you want. Take a walk around Chinatown and you'll see lots of bars/get plenty of offers. They can also speak English and hold a conversation beyond "Hello mister. What your name? Where you come flom?"

Edited by Rumpole

Thanks for all the great posts! Good info!

I have heard the Bangsar area mentioned, so I expect that might be where they try to locate me. (Thanks, 6a)

Eases my mind a bit on the descriptions that point out a somewhat better lifestyle than BKK -- different. but ...

Thanks for the info!

I agree with almost everything what has been said here so far.....KL is a wonderful place to live, if you are not the "PATTAYA/Sukhumvit-soi-cowboy" - type of person who judges a place only by how much is the OFF fee and what "service" they can give you....

I have lived at KL and I still love it damned much......there are many more good places other that to live at Bangsar though, a good area with some very well maintained Condo-skyscrapers are around AMPANG PARK, very close to Bukit Bintang shopping area and near to Twin Towers / KLCC. The poblic transport is good and reliable, and yes, the Taxi topic is as worse as u can think.....EVERYBODY speaks English (as they start learning at primary school), and I do not agree that they are not friendly to foreigners....

about racism: it has to do with the RELIGION, its not racism. Its just that for the Malay people the law is somewhat more strict than for Chinese, Indian and the Christian Part of the Dayak. Thats why they have that thing in their passport.....Well, yes, it INDEED is a muslim country, so a decent behaviour will help you anyway.....but in a way, thats why I like it......its not so noisy, raunchy.....and you still can get anything if you know where to go.....

and I guess its the most progressive Muslim country in the area....the new prime minister did some amazing statements about tolerance and religious fanatism from some Muslim extremist....(he cut the power of the religious leaders and mentioned things like "we will not have a Taliban law in here" - even he is a muslim himself) this country is on a good way, its a very safe place to live (KL is the safest metropolitan area I have ever been in my life), and at KL you have everything within easy reach.....big city with all the DO's and DONT's.....the sea....mountain area.......you will not want to miss it, pal

If you like pork, it could be a problem. Some supermarkets have it (served by Chinese) but other than that, you'll need to go to Chinese restaurants.

I lived in KL for over 4 years and loved it. I'd be still there if I could afford it on my pension.