Trout

longtime2

I seem to remember visiting a queens/kings project one time where they were raising trout. Its hel_l to get old as memory seems to slip at times, but it had to to have been in the north (Chiang Mai onward) will try to source info locally .

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Now I´m not sure in the english name for fishes in the Salmo-family, but I am sure they will all die when the water turns 26-27 degrees celsius.

We grow Rainbow-Trout in our fishfarms here in Sweden. A very warm summer a few years ago we got about 27 degrees in the water on one farm and absolutely every Rainbow died.

It would be interesting to know though if there are any places in Thailand with colder water (17-22 degrees C).

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of years ago I was so surprised to see Rainbow Trout for sale

at the King's Project retail shop in Airport Plaza Mall Chiang Mai.

I was told they are raised at the King's Project at Doi Inthanon.

Since this is the highest mountain of Thailand, located southwest of Chiang Mai,

it makes sense that it would be the coolest place.

Don't know more than that...but there they were...for sale.

Thailand does seem the last place in the world you would expect to grow trout.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 3/27/2010 at 5:53 AM, Fishfarmer said:

Hi!

Now I´m not sure in the english name for fishes in the Salmo-family, but I am sure they will all die when the water turns 26-27 degrees celsius.

We grow Rainbow-Trout in our fishfarms here in Sweden. A very warm summer a few years ago we got about 27 degrees in the water on one farm and absolutely every Rainbow died.

It would be interesting to know though if there are any places in Thailand with colder water (17-22 degrees C).

Roger

My borehole water comes out of the ground pretty cool (I'll check it one day). I imagine if you buried a load of pipe in the ground 3m + deep and circulated through you'd have a half-decent heat exchanger?

On 12/10/2009 at 9:40 AM, longtime2 said:

hi guys I would to buy baby trout I can not find anywhere. Does anyone know where eg. private farms, gov, uni and so any imformation will be very helpful. thank-you

I truly wish you luck.  I can't imagine a fresh water fish species like a trout, surviving here.  

https://articles.extension.org/sites/default/files/w/5/5b/RBTchallenges.pdf

There is a sturgeon farm in the same grounds where the rainbow trout are farmed in the Doi Inthanon Kings Project. There are around 10 cement tanks 30x10mts and have sturgeon to 2-3mts. Staff don't mind you wandering around but always polite to ask first character you come across.

Have seen both the fish and the caviar on the menu at higher end restaurants here in Chiang Mai.