Cheapest Areas Of Thailand

kevbomac05

The Lonely Planet is not the final word on cheap travel, but it DOES give a person some idea of what the general prices are. You can ALWAYS find cheaper and certainly get taken for spending much more than you need to. The guide books have saved my bacon a few times when traveling in rural Thailand where nobody speaks English.

I still poke around in the out of the way places because I've been doing that all my life. I've spent many nights bivouacing in the wilderness with nothing more than a few tree branches for cover. It goes with the territory if you are a mountain hunter. And, I've spent far too many days wet nursing teenagers who came ill prepared for the wilderness.

Just take the whole trip as a great experience and I can guarantee that the toughest days will be your lasting memories that you wouldn't trade later. Have a good one youngster and I wish you all the best. Just don't lose your heart to one of the many lovely ladies. It's far too easy to do.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cant afford even basic standards of living why come? stay at home, get a job and buy some new clothes....

hahaha, are you serious ? Is that what you call having a good lifestyle ? some lame day job ?

I want to find a good cheap place to be so that I can have more money to re invest each month but hey, go paint houses.

Go South Ma Boy. Live in the Jungle for free , all the free food you can eat , Insects snakes monkey meat , free rain water for drinking , showering washing, Die Young. And a free funeral , :) , Try Rural Thailand, like one poster has said you need to speak a little Thai.Without speaking Thai its not realistic because you will need to communicate for every day things , and what happens when you have a problem . Go learn Thai .

As for Traveling Thais , have you seen how they live , Many Falang could not live or sleep like Thais , Have you slept on the floor with nasty Insects crawling around at night, Or Washing in rain water, checking that there are no leaches in the water or around the old 45 gallon drum thats the water butt.Its not all fantasy island stuff .

Then there are the Thais with money , they probly live better than you and me . Traveling in air con cars , Staying in top Hotels ,

here is another guy that does not understand the concept of wealth. Cheap people are rich, staying in top hotels is what the working class does because they think that is what it is like to be rich.

it is what you do with the capital that you already have that makes you rich, not how good of a " job " you have.

2) It's so so easy to lose your heart with a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile.
Beautiful Thai girls do not smile to penniless backpackers so there's no danger of losing heart here :)

who the hel_l said backpackers have no money ? I have 6 figures in my investment account yet I might look like a backpacker. It is not hard for young farang guys to find girls in Thailand. I am not sure why some old guys don't realize this....

Go South Ma Boy. Live in the Jungle for free , all the free food you can eat , Insects snakes monkey meat , free rain water for drinking , showering washing, Die Young. And a free funeral , :) , Try Rural Thailand, like one poster has said you need to speak a little Thai.Without speaking Thai its not realistic because you will need to communicate for every day things , and what happens when you have a problem . Go learn Thai .

As for Traveling Thais , have you seen how they live , Many Falang could not live or sleep like Thais , Have you slept on the floor with nasty Insects crawling around at night, Or Washing in rain water, checking that there are no leaches in the water or around the old 45 gallon drum thats the water butt.Its not all fantasy island stuff .

Then there are the Thais with money , they probly live better than you and me . Traveling in air con cars , Staying in top Hotels ,

here is another guy that does not understand the concept of wealth. Cheap people are rich, staying in top hotels is what the working class does because they think that is what it is like to be rich.

it is what you do with the capital that you already have that makes you rich, not how good of a " job " you have.

You are so right it isnot what you make it is how you spend it that makes you rich. Also wealth only broadens your ability to do as you wish, When you are truly rich you have freedom of choice and donot neeed to be influenced by what others may see as their symbols of wealth.

As you can see you are clearly at the wrong place here. Try Lonely Planet or similar.

I would say that cheap places can be found everywhere, even on Samui or Koh Phangan. At Menam Beach for instance are still the old backpacker bungalows.

MrRichards: To be young and travel independently through places never been before is a feeling you don't want to miss in your life. A 24/7 exciting experience. Money and comfort are not important. Traveller can find easily places to stay and to sleep.

Agreed. There are some real curmudgeons on this site. They just don't get it.

I travelled for years on a shoestring when I was young. I had the greatest experiences I can imagine.

When I talk with people about some of the people I met, things I did, places I went and things that happened to me, I am constantly told "you should write a book". I learned so much, not just about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, but also about myself.

This is stuff you can never learn in a 5 star hotel with air-con limos. When you travel with money, you carry your world around with you. You are in a bubble, and you never get to see the reality of the places you visit.

Travelling on a tight budget is something I would strongly recommend to any young person who has the desire to learn about the world he/she lives in.

this is what i want to hear thankyou

im just talking about a place to crash at night

it dont need to be fancy

im coming in late march and staying for a month

but 300 for a beach hut sounds nice

or 150 baht for a small place

i guess when i get to thailand ill need to do some looking around

and to all the old geezers getting there pantys in a bunch because a young backpacker is coming looking for cheap accmondation

relax

thanks for the reply's

For 300? I would expect at least double bed, aircon, fridge, tv, warm water, wifi and a fan

can that be had? sure can, will go there again next month.

But then i think I still can get a hotel for 550 in phuket in the right season with the same, or room with almost the same for 400 (the difference? the 550 one has a nice pool)

But I won't tell you where, the finding your own places is all part of the adventure

your right finding it is half the fun

thanks for all the great advice and tips i really appreciate it

great site, mostly great people

Can you speak Thai?

There are a lot of cheap places outside the tourist tracks, if you know the lingo.

If not, then you are stuck to the "lonely planet" tourists.

They all go to the same places and are surprised to find the same people as the last place.

so your saying if i pick up some thai

then i can get cheaper places

thats what i wanna know because where do the traveling thais stay at

i know im gonna find cheap places to stay

most thais make very little money

YES! Even better if you take an average Kee Nieow Thai with you. DON'T take a Thai that wants to show off, the one that expects you will go to the best resorts or hotels. This is the Hi-So idea, and the worst kind of Thai you can take with you is a Thai Hi-So wannabe!!!! :DJUST DON'T!

Better to meet some nice girl working at Big C and take her on a holiday. Considering she probably earns about B6000 a month for 6 days of highly monotonous work every week, she's likely to appreciate everything you do. Though be warned :D by the end of your holiday, you may be whisked up to meet Mum and Dad (and 20 other relos) in Isan when you come back!!! :) You'll get the picture pretty fast here!! LOL!

As you can see you are clearly at the wrong place here. Try Lonely Planet or similar.

I would say that cheap places can be found everywhere, even on Samui or Koh Phangan. At Menam Beach for instance are still the old backpacker bungalows.

MrRichards: To be young and travel independently through places never been before is a feeling you don't want to miss in your life. A 24/7 exciting experience. Money and comfort are not important. Traveller can find easily places to stay and to sleep.

I travelled for years on a shoestring when I was young. I had the greatest experiences I can imagine.

When I talk with people about some of the people I met, things I did, places I went and things that happened to me, I am constantly told "you should write a book". I learned so much, not just about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, but also about myself.

This is stuff you can never learn in a 5 star hotel with air-con limos. When you travel with money, you carry your world around with you. You are in a bubble, and you never get to see the reality of the places you visit.

Travelling on a tight budget is something I would strongly recommend to any young person who has the desire to learn about the world he/she lives in.

it dont need to be fancy

and to all the old geezers getting there pantys in a bunch because a young backpacker is coming looking for cheap accmondation

relax

thanks for the reply's

Try Koh Phayam.

You can get there on a boat from Ranong. Beautiful island, no cars, only limited electricity 6pm till midnight and you could get a cheap bungalow if you looked around for 150 baht per night. That was about 2 years ago though.

Or

Koh Mak, near Koh Chang.

Again very relaxed place. I paid 200 baht a night for my own beach hut, 5 meters from the sea...

OP,

Set an upper limit of 300 Baht, and you will find places to stay anywhere in Thailand.

Don't ask travel agencies and taxi drivers about rooms, often they get a commisssion per night that you stay, and you are the one who pays for that.

As previous posters have pointed out, a guide book like the Rough Guide or the Lonely Planet would be a wise investment.

it dont need to be fancy

relax

thanks for the reply's

Try Koh Phayam.

You can get there on a boat from Ranong. Beautiful island, no cars, only limited electricity 6pm till midnight and you could get a cheap bungalow if you looked around for 150 baht per night. That was about 2 years ago though.

Or

Koh Mak, near Koh Chang.

Again very relaxed place. I paid 200 baht a night for my own beach hut, 5 meters from the sea...

ill have to remember this when i go in late march

thanks

It is not hard for young farang guys to find girls in Thailand. I am not sure why some old guys don't realize this....

Speaking for myself, I can't remember that far back, any more ! :D

I feel that Lonely Planet is probably the answer, to the OP's question, while I accept that it's not always perfect, it remains a darned good guide, especially the detailed Thailand one, enough to give you the confidence to get on-the-road and see for yourself. We all owe the founders a hearty Thank-You IMO ! :)

In one simple reply, Issan go to the north east of tHailand. once you go right up to the area around the border with Laos you are in one of the poorest areas of the country. People will try to help you out a bit there so ask arond and theycan point out places to stay many do speak English. There are many local guest houses etc as many locals travel. Unfortunatley I think your about 20 years too late if your looking for the cheapt beach huts of the past in the tourist areas thats, all long gone.

In one simple reply, Issan go to the north east of tHailand. once you go right up to the area around the border with Laos you are in one of the poorest areas of the country. People will try to help you out a bit there so ask arond and theycan point out places to stay many do speak English. There are many local guest houses etc as many locals travel. Unfortunatley I think your about 20 years too late if your looking for the cheapt beach huts of the past in the tourist areas thats, all long gone.

ya but is it still possible to get by with 500 or less baht a day?