Gudang Garam Cigarettes

keko

Hi there.

Does anybody knows where in Pattaya I can buy Indonesian cigarettes Gugang Garam. 7/11 and other shops have very poor choice for a smoker. Maybe there are some special shops or something?

Thank you in advance.

Have you tried the small shop on the corner opposite tops supermarket, they seem to have a good selection of ciggy's.

If you are going to smoke them clove cigs in a closed area you will soon find that you are not welcome, They sell like an undertakers back parlour.

I worked for 5 years in Java where it seems you cannot escape from them.

Happy hunting

Yup, I've been there today and was told "Garam no import to Thailand". That's bad. The only place I've seen Garam in Thailand was Khaosan Rd.

I smoked it on Bali, in Vietnam and Cambodia. It's a pity if there's really no place in Pattaya to buy it. This is damned best cigatettes brand I've ever tasted.

Thank you anyway.

I've bought them from sidewalk vendors opposite Siam Square - down a bit from MBK. From memory they were Bt100 per pack.

I have a suspicion they are black marketed into Thailand.

This is damned best cigatettes brand I've ever tasted.

Absolutely agreed. But very, very high in nicotine and tar.

Now if I could find kecap manis instead of the Thai variety I'd be even happier.

Certainly the Indo Mie noodles are far superior to the local Thai ones and worth the extra money.

The only place I've seen Garam in Thailand was Khaosan Rd.

I quite like these too and will be on Khaosan Rd soon. Did you see them on sale there or just being smoked?

On sale. Not at shop, just on the street.

BTW do you reside in PTT? If yes, could you buy several packs for me?

• 1 month later...

The clove cigarettes you are looking for I found no place in Thailand except right next to Pan Tip plaza in Bangkok. It is about a 20 minute bus ride from Nana (soi 4/sukhumvit) on the number 2 bus (or 25 also I think). Pan Tip is a big well known electronics department store. Once you get off at Pan Tip (bus 2 is free to all travelers) you are facing pan tip on the same side of the street. Walk down the street to your left to the end of all the stores and right there next to a construction site is a little lady sitting at a small table who has Surya (same company but not called Garam and I think they taste better). She charges about $2.25/pack. If you buy a carton she sends someone that goes somewhere and comes back in about 10 minutes. They were worth it and I loaded up in Jan 10, 2010 before going to Cambodia which doesn't have them anymore.