Suggestions Of Major Bar Crackdown By Police Following Meeting With Provincial Police Chief.

Rimmer

Pattaya, December 10 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : On Wednesday Afternoon at the Cesar Palace Hotel in Central Pattaya, Police Major General Tanaert, the Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police, chaired a meeting of over 200 bar owners from around the Pattaya area. The General went through all the laws regarding operating such venues, including opening and closing times, minimum age of employees and patrons and registration papers to be completed for employees by the bar owner. One interesting point coming from the meeting was a statement by the General who warned any bars found to be paying off Police Officers in exchange for any form of protection would be prosecuted and the officers themselves would be removed from the Police. A special task force has now been set up to ensure that rules are adhered to and bar owners now fear a bar crackdown is imminent, which could not come at a worse time with High Season upon us which is a time of year when many bars do their best trade and rely on the relaxed bar trading regulations to ensure they can make the most of this busy period.

http://www.pattayaone.net

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

10Dec 2009

post-22250-1260445418_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1260445433_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1260445446_thumb.jpg

I like the idea that they are making noises about stopping corruption and payments for police protection, it''s a small step but one that's in the right direction.

As for this news clipping the "green shoots", I don't see that at all. I think it's more about bringing the Pattaya bar business back more towards the centre line after its many trips South of that line.

I gave up understanding Thai Logics and thinking.

Best would be to close all bars and entertainment venues from Dec 24 to Jan 1.

They might think that the Tourists would appreciate it.

Sorry, this all is so sick!

:)

I like the idea that they are making noises about stopping corruption and payments for police protection, it''s a small step but one that's in the right direction.

As for this news clipping the "green shoots", I don't see that at all. I think it's more about bringing the Pattaya bar business back more towards the centre line after its many trips South of that line.

What do you mean exactly with the trips South of the Centre line? :)

Looking at this logically I can't see a problem. The Provincial Police Chief wants the bars to abide by the laws. The Police thought of being prosecuted for demanding protection money for alleged infringements of said laws seems a bonus.

Looking at this logically I can't see a problem. The Provincial Police Chief wants the bars to abide by the laws. The Police thought of being prosecuted for demanding protection money for alleged infringements of said laws seems a bonus.

That would be great if it really happened. But me being a cynic I see this as just another way for corrupt police to make more money:

Chonburi Policeman to bar owner: 'So, you pay a policeman in Soi 9 and one in Banglamung AND one in Chonburi.

Right. Give me 10,000 Baht and I won't prosecute you for those three corruption offences and I won't close your bar"

Sad but likely to be more true than a clampdown on police corruption.

I think it's a good idea; whether anything will be done/achieved is another matter entirely. Whilst tourists are important to this town, that certainly should not mean that any laws can be flouted just to chase the dollar. I guess it is not easy to find a balance between tourism and the needs of residents who may actually want a bit of peace and quiet after the party is over. Before you condemn any efforts by the authorities to enforce existing laws, just remember it may be you who will be relying on same laws when a bar suddenly opens next to your home with loud thump thump music till 5am. I don't have this problem (yet!) but I know many residents who do and they are not even in the center of Pattaya.

once upon a time, not too long ago, thailand and in particular pattaya had a relaxed outlook on life so unlike a regimented pc state so ofte seen elsewhere. then as times were hard, creative free thinking was frowned upon in favour of a victorian "do as i say, not as i do" regime.

restrict the ordinary mans activities and he will take it elsewhere, or underground.

take away the ability of the enforcers to live and law and order will deteriorate.

things may get worse before they get better

That would be great if it really happened. But me being a cynic I see this as just another way for corrupt police to make more money:

I don't know about making more money but it's just a way of making the BiB more wiley that usual. Also the bar owners will be caught between a rock and a hard place. PC Plodprasop demands 50,000 to allow Mrs Porsiri's bar to continue operating, what are her options? Pay up hoping that it's not one of Pattaya's finest's sting operations or that PC Plodprasop can keep his mouth shut when his superior officer asks how he can afford that new car. Or does she report him for attempted corruption and if so who does she report him to? The BiB, yeah right :) that's going to get her a long way towards being found on a piece of wasteground with her throat cut.

Before you condemn any efforts by the authorities to enforce existing laws, just remember it may be you who will be relying on same laws when a bar suddenly opens next to your home with loud thump thump music till 5am. I don't have this problem (yet!) but I know many residents who do and they are not even in the center of Pattaya.

You are correct in what you say but it's more likely to be a Thai karaoke place that disturbs the peace until dawn has broken and we all know who runs those places.

I think it's a good idea; whether anything will be done/achieved is another matter entirely. Whilst tourists are important to this town, that certainly should not mean that any laws can be flouted just to chase the dollar. I guess it is not easy to find a balance between tourism and the needs of residents who may actually want a bit of peace and quiet after the party is over. Before you condemn any efforts by the authorities to enforce existing laws, just remember it may be you who will be relying on same laws when a bar suddenly opens next to your home with loud thump thump music till 5am. I don't have this problem (yet!) but I know many residents who do and they are not even in the center of Pattaya.

Most of the bars etc. do operate in non resident areas, resp. run the bars in those areas.

Another thing are the Thai Karaoke bars, who are usually not in the Tourist entertainment zones...guess what that means.

Oh well, remember the good old times, everybody was happy, there were no raids like nowadays etc.

Those times probabaly won't come back anyway.

A much better idea for provincial police would be to raid all the drug operations, bit how often has this been mentioned already. :)

Most of the bars etc. do operate in non resident areas, resp. run the bars in those areas.

Another thing are the Thai Karaoke bars, who are usually not in the Tourist entertainment zones...guess what that means.

Oh well, remember the good old times, everybody was happy, there were no raids like nowadays etc.

Those times probabaly won't come back anyway.

A much better idea for provincial police would be to raid all the drug operations, bit how often has this been mentioned already. :)

Ahem, I wonder why that doesn't happen regularly?

Or does she report him for attempted corruption and if so who does she report him to? The BiB, yeah right :) that's going to get her a long way towards being found on a piece of wasteground with her throat cut.

Oops! Canny with your allegations there. Corruption is one thing, murder is another.

It's the Provincial Police telling the local barkeeps that paying off Pattaya Police is not an option. Pattaya has long been a gravy train for the province and this new 'enforcement' of the laws will ensure that the tea money bypasses the middle-man.