Khon Kaen Immigration Office - Newly Opened

I had just gotten a retirement visa from Chiang mai. My gf is from KK so i wanted to relocate due to her family here. I wanted a travel stamp for my trip to the US. I like to visit twice a year.

((cut))

From above it seems you wanted two re-entry permits (twice a year) which would be 2,000 baht. Are you sure she was not talking about that?

2,000 baht would also be the normal fine for late 90 day reporting if you had actually been late. There might have been misunderstanding of date if she was looking at your entry date into Thailand rather than your extension of stay date (only the first one counts as a 90 day report).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"2,000 baht would also be the normal fine for late 90 day reporting if you had actually been late. There might have been misunderstanding of date if she was looking at your entry date into Thailand rather than your extension of stay date (only the first one counts as a 90 day report)."

What's the fine for not reporting an address change within 24 hours?

Section 76 of the Immigration Act says:

An alien who fails to comply ............ shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Section 76 of the Immigration Act says:

An alien who fails to comply ............ shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

That is rarely enforced. However it is a good excuse if an official chooses to jump on you.

Most of the time - information wanted on a "fact finding tour" can be found on printed A4 papers available in the offices.

Of course that is not going to be enough for some of the nitpickers & they will insist on taking with top brass to confirm & show their intellectual superiority.

The problem is that you never can be sure that the "papers" are still valid. I friend gave me any moth ago a paper from Nong Khai, he told me "they changed the roles again! :) ", the paper was years old. :D

I know the lady in Nong Khai too. It looks like she hates Americans.

I hope for Khom Kaen that they not did send her there.

Incidentally, the problems I've heard about have all involved visits of Americans to the Khon Kaen office. Sadly, maybe you're on to something here. Time to pull out and dust off my Canadian passport! :D

Further to my post, elsewhere, about my "tribulations" at this office,all the bad attitude came from the "Bangkok" officer....just before Xmas my wife got a phone call from the "boss" lady to ask how we were treated on our second visit,so obviously has concerns about "Ms Bangkok" .. she also said she would let us know when our marriage visa arrives..

All in all I think she is fair but strict.

On a slighty different tack,I am astonished at how disrespectfully many people dress when going there,some look like they have come straight from the beach (which is a long way from KK !) :) ..If YOU do not show respect why should you get it ?

Thought for today .. Does Thai Immigration read this ? ..

Has anyone had experience as yet with an early "Retirement Extension" at this Khon Kaen office.

I may need to apply about 30 days early and as we know this option differs greatly between different offices.

This will be the first visit to KK as Thali was the office prior and they were very friendly.

hi fishhooks

My annual extension for retirement expires next week but I popped into KK Immigration to extend a month early in mid Dec. No probs at all, very nice young lady dealt with it in the blink of an eye and I picked up my stamped up passport less than 10 mins after I'd wai'd "hello" to her. Much, much more preferable to Nong Khai.

You know i have been here for several years now. And paid my beer money to the police and others.. But this is just plain extorsion in the most blatent way. And not just for 200 baht for the police. What bothers me is when i talked to the supervisor she was very helpful and gave me the proper answers. Now that i read this, i think she is probibly getting part of the money the other woman is extorting out of the farang and others. Surely she knows of the problem by now and probily likes the extra money. That is my take on the situation. The supervisor likes the extra cash but stays clear of any bad and obvious complains by the people the other woman is extorting money from.

I am sure there are many that just pay and run. But i am here to live and like it here. My options are very limited. Moving is my only sure way of fixing this problem for me. I hope it does not come to that.

Try to solve it. KK is a beautiful place. Very friendly people in the thousands & thousands.

Read your last para. Wimp out & give up line#1 just because of one bitch at the Imm. office?

I was there on 7.1. There was a young lady officer at that Immigration.

Was only a 30 days extension of my Tourist Visa, no big thing.

I asked if she worked there already for some time, she said yes-for some month, so I knew it should be the same lady this thread is talking about.

I said her that I had read of her in the Internet and she asked if I read good or bad about her and I answered, -50:50.

I specified that some wrote positive about her and some would say that she is very strict.

She copied my Passport, -I forgot to copy it- and she ment I have to pay for that copy.

She showed than that she can be srict as she looked very exactly at my Immigration arrival stamp.

She even started than to count, it seems that she read the stamped 7.1. As a 1.1. ?

Than she realized her mistake and my extention progressed.

Short after me a bigger group of Asia ladys came, but the last coming older Falang, seems to make a regular 90 day visit, -was taken first and finished quickly.

A French guy, together with his friend, already at the Immigration when I arrived, had to go inside Khon Kaen to get his Passport-Visafotos taken.

So better, have your fotos enclosed.

The Khon Kaen Immigration is from Udon Thani coming on the Mainroad Highway at the beginning of Khon Kaen, on the left side, in the Police Academy school.

Thank you,

hi fishhooks

My annual extension for retirement expires next week but I popped into KK Immigration to extend a month early in mid Dec. No probs at all, very nice young lady dealt with it in the blink of an eye and I picked up my stamped up passport less than 10 mins after I'd wai'd "hello" to her. Much, much more preferable to Nong Khai.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"sheepshank" - my (RET.) extension PLUS multiple re-entry (Canadian passport) - between 12-15 minutes at the front

total paid: 1900 plus 3800 = 5700 !! that's mid Nov.2009 and a stop by the office before Christmas !!

so : with a full set of required documentation : ....... what's the problem - eh ?????

also : did NOT show up in cut-offs , flip-flops and sleeveless top !! Get the drift ?

kg1947 :)

I said her that I had read of her in the Internet and she asked if I read good or bad about her and I answered, -50:50.

I specified that some wrote positive about her and some would say that she is very strict.

WHY...would you do that ???

Totster :)

Nice one Alfredo. :)

Do the world a favour at immigration. Smile in the right places. Nod in the right places. Laugh politely at the officer's occasional attempts a humour. Answer their questions. Thank them after they give you what you want. Throw in a wai when you arrive and leave if you fancy. Apart from that (and with all due respect) keep your gob shut. They aren't your friends. They're there to do a job.

Of course immi officers who hear that 50% of westerners say bad things about them will then go out of their way to improve the bad side of themselves.

And I've just invented a cure for HIV.

Edited by mca

I went last month to renew my Tabian Baan for driving liscence. No problem at all efficient and pleasant.

As far as I know Immigration do not issue Tabien Baan. The amphur does that. :)

Maybe he meant he went and got 'the letter'

Totster :D

I went last month to renew my Tabian Baan for driving liscence. No problem at all efficient and pleasant.

As far as I know Immigration do not issue Tabien Baan. The amphur does that. :)

Maybe he meant he went and got 'the letter'

Totster :D

Yep, got the letter. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Got a phone call Monday from the "boss lady"( Mrs ?) Yoseph to say my marriage visa papers were back..

..We called in thursday and were dealt with very pleasantly and efficiently by her,all sorted for next 12 months !

Compared to the "horrors" of the first visit,very relaxed atmosphere,even Miss Bangkok was smiling.

Looks like the boss lady has got things sorted !!

As KK is dealing with a large surrounding area, I imagine the "800K Bank Letter" should be okay to have been issued two or three days earlier, providing of course the balance does not change?

For safety though I would go for the least elapsed time possible.

Edited by fishhooks

As KK is dealing with a large surrounding area, I imagine the "800K Bank Letter" should be okay to have been issued two or three days earlier, providing of course the balance does not change?

For safety though I would go for the least elapsed time possible.

My bank does not open until 11.am so I would like to thing that the day before would be ok.

I have to get the letter in Chaiyaphum and then go to Khon Kaen.

I know it's only some hours away by bus, but was wondering if a day or two would be a problem.

Was always fine when dealing with Korat, then Thali, but with reports about mood swings at this office one tends to get a tad nervous!

Okay on that.

Also sorry, this is my second retirement extension, can you advise a comprehensive list of docs etc to take with me to this office as I'm sure I've read elsewhere that "some" offices are asking for extra's that were not standard in the past.

I don't suppose there is a "Pinned" listing available?

• 1 month later...

Well, no problem on getting the bank letter on one day in Chaiyaphum and traveling to KK the next day to do Retirement Extension, phoned a couple of days prior and okay to do.

A couple of experiences at the said office today though:

1. My bank book had filled during the seasoning period for 800K Baht, so naturally I had to continue with a new book.

The officer (lady with two stripes on arm) could not understand why the new continuing book did not have a duplicate date entry from the last date in the old book............Simple, there were no transactions deposit or withdrawal, between the last date in the old book and the date of the first transaction in the new book, thus exactly as it would appear in the banks own master system.

I'm not trying to be too smart here but really, is this not obvious. However, this took an annoying amount of time and effort from my wife and I to explain both in Thai and English. Finally a win!

2. She wanted the Tabian Baan from my wife and parents home where I mainly reside. This was never asked at Korat in 2008 or Thali in 2009, so we did not have it with us. Only a minor glitch here as she accepted the ID Card of my wife.

All in all okay, but dealing here through a small peep hole in the wall, whereby in the last two years we were comfortably seated in a nice office, does not make visiting this office very user friendly, particularly if there are issues (or non issues) to thrash out.

Nice lady though, nothing to complain from me as far as that goes, even told me about her younger sister married to an Australian and living in Queensland.

Did they not invite you into the office to do all the paperwork?

They have done before with other foreigners doing the retirement extention,sat at that little desk peering through the hatch is not a good way to conduct an interview at all,especially with people sat around you!

Mario.......Khon Kaen is the office I have to report to, we being in Chaiyaphum and this also matches my wifes ID.

Nadtatida1......No invite, all people being attended to this afternoon were squeezing their doings through the small holes in the wall.