Carry Copy Of Passport?

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Thailand; hold a one-year "retirement visa". Visited Pattaya Immigration Bureau the other day; asked what pages of my passport should I have copied and carry with me (on off-chance that I may be asked by police). Told by receptionist "no need to carry a copy". I don't want to carry actual passport that I prefer to keep in residence safe.

Any advice on what, if anything, I should carry in my wallet will be most appreciated. THANK YOU.

If you are asking if you should carry a copy of your passport around with you at all times, I would say that its not necessary. In many long years living here I have never been asked to produce my passport by a policeman. I think the law requires us to carry our passports at all times, but very few do.

It is the Law but not enforced very often. However if you want to ensure you comply with the laws a simple solution is to carry a small lamenated photocopy of the relevant details (credit card size) You never know when someone may ask you for it....

I see you are in Pattaya, there is a firm that will do this for you for very little cost (I had mine done there and posted to me in Udon)

Just call in with your passport.

Key Visa Co Ltd

33/11 Soi LK Metro

or tel 038422131

Edited by Lite Beer
E Mail removed. Lite Beer

Several years ago, during the crackdown on closing times and drug war (sic!), police didn't accept any kind of passport copy...

If you were not able to show the original... and not being available to participate in an urine test: cost was between THB200 & 500, following the venue they did a random check :)

We had a discussion on this a while ago. A photo copy is not your passport, they don't have to accept it.

More importantly, it seems the rules say that you have to be able to show your ID within a reasonable time, normaly considered within 1 hour.

We had a discussion on this a while ago. A photo copy is not your passport, they don't have to accept it.

More importantly, it seems the rules say that you have to be able to show your ID within a reasonable time, normaly considered within 1 hour.

Good point. A friend of mine had an altercation in a Pattaya Bar earlier in the year, and he ended up in a police cell. The bar trouble was eventually sorted out, but the police naturally wanted to see my friend's id / passport.

Sod's Law was that his mobile battery had gone, so could neither ring his wife, or get the number from his phone.

More (well, a lot more!) than this "1 hour" passed before his wife traced him, and sorted out the id issue. Strangely, though, the only thing the police did him for was for not carrying his passport!!

The posters are correct and the police do not have to accept a copy, however on the occasion I was asked the copy was sufficient. At least a copy is better than nothing and can be verified thro its details.

I also have a Thai licence and is acceptable as id (passport number is on your licence)

The law is actually a state issued ID of some sort. Never had a problem with driver's license. Passport stays in the safe where it belongs. :)

Can you point us to something in writing that says that?

Also, what do you all do if driving in another province from where you live? I would guess you then carry your passport?

I just spoke to some Lumpini Police officers, who were conveniently sitting outside my house. I showed them the small wallet size laminated copy of the front page of my passport and on the back is a copy of my "permitted to stay until stamp" (retirement extension stamp" which I carry around. They all said that would be FINE in 99% of situations unless it was for a "big problem" (obviously meaning; you ran seriously amok).

Go to any copy shop and have them make one up. I know down on Suk Soi 4 a small wallet laminate goes for about 200 (but I am SURE that is the foreign price!!)

Also, what do you all do if driving in another province from where you live?

To answer the above quote; unlike the US, (where driver's licenses are issued by the state you reside in) a thai driver's license is issued and good in the entire country. It doesn't make a bit of difference if you got it in Yala or Chiang Mai, it's a country wide license, not a provincial thing. :)

As an aside; the old style thai driver’s license used to have your address, but the new style Smart card does not. You may want to carry something (even a business card) which shows your address in thailand. :D

The law is actually a state issued ID of some sort. Never had a problem with driver's license. Passport stays in the safe where it belongs. :D

Also, what do you all do if driving in another province from where you live? I would guess you then carry your passport?

Like visa requirements, it,s sods law I,m afraid and up to the officer / office who may ask to see it.

Unpredictable, be it in writting or not, i,m sad to say.

If you are travelling a fair distance and you do not have any other means of official I.D., personally I would recommend carrying your passport with you in a safe and convenient place ( convenient to yourself of course ).

I,ve never been asked, but again who knows when it may be needed.

As someone mentioned, a Thai drivers licence is useful and has your passport number on it.

I carry coloured photo copies of the main pages and current visa info to of my passport neatly folded to fit my pocket, to back up my d.licence.

marshbags :)

P.S.

If anyone knows were to get a reduced laminated one done in Udonthani, I,d appreciate some info and possible charges please.

Edited by marshbags

As an aside; the old style thai driver's license used to have your address, but the new style Smart card does not. You may want to carry something (even a business card) which shows your address in thailand. :)

Not correct. Your address is on the reverse side of the new style licence.

As an aside; the old style thai driver's license used to have your address, but the new style Smart card does not. You may want to carry something (even a business card) which shows your address in thailand. :)

Thanks for setting me straight, also. I think some of us thought it was not on the license because it was not written in English as is some other information, but there it is on the back, along with the PP# on the front.

Thanks for setting me straight, also. I think some of us thought it was not on the license because it was not written in English as is some other information, but there it is on the back, along with the PP# on the front.

Not on mine.

I stand humbly corrected. :)

I never bothered to read what was written in thai on the back of my Thai D/L, but my address is there plain as can be. ..

Sorry about the wrong info. ..

In my province I always have a copy of my passport and visa and entrycard. When I go to an other province I take my passport too. Sometimes there are roadblocks and than they want your passport. In my hometown my Thai driving license is always OK and I am always willing to show my passport in the police station mid town but they never ask that.

The law is actually a state issued ID of some sort. Never had a problem with driver's license. Passport stays in the safe where it belongs. :D

Like visa requirements, it,s sods law I,m afraid and up to the officer / office who may ask to see it.

If you are travelling a fair distance and you do not have any other means of official I.D., personally I would recommend carrying your passport with you in a safe and convenient place ( convenient to yourself of course ).

As someone mentioned, a Thai drivers licence is useful and has your passport number on it.

I carry coloured photo copies of the main pages and current visa info to of my passport neatly folded to fit my pocket, to back up my d.licence.

marshbags :D

P.S.

If anyone knows were to get a reduced laminated one done in Udonthani, I,d appreciate some info and possible charges please.

Some of the PC printers that have the copy facility can enlarge and reduce as well. I did mine myself but if you havent got a suitable printer then go to any copy shop with a colour copier and they can reduce it down to a credit card size and laminate it for you.

I have even used mine as ID in a bank and they accepted it no problem as they could see it was what it was , reduced from the original.

Maybe I should start a little business doing these for people. :):D

HL :D

While I am not advocating this practice, I always carry my passport with me because, when I started traveling 20+ years ago in rural Asian countries, there was no safe place to leave it hotel or otherwise. I am considering now installing a room safe but old habits are hard to break.

However just the other day I found out that I unexpectedly had to visit the bank and I could not have done so post haste if I did not already have my passport with me.

Edited by jazzbo

marshbags :D

P.S.

Some of the PC printers that have the copy facility can enlarge and reduce as well. I did mine myself but if you havent got a suitable printer then go to any copy shop with a colour copier and they can reduce it down to a credit card size and laminate it for you.

I have even used mine as ID in a bank and they accepted it no problem as they could see it was what it was , reduced from the original.

Maybe I should start a little business doing these for people. :):D

HL :D

Don't forget the work permit whistling.gif

BIB on soi bukaow stopped me once for no helmet. [No it had not been eaten off Bobbit-like]. I produced my copy passport and drivers license but was told 'must be original - go to station'. Looking at the board in P police station on beach road there is a penalty listing - 400 baht for each of no passport, no license, no helmet. Thought I would be stung for 1200 baht, but in the event only 400 baht and only the helmet offence box ticked.

So still not sure (BIB can probably use if they want to get you and have nothing else to go on) but I would rather pay some small fine once in a blue moon than carry original documents on me all the time.

I sent copies of my main passport page, entry stamp and re-entry permit to the address in pattaya, I knew they did it so saved looking around. Hope this helps if you cant find anything closer.

Key Visa Co Ltd

33/11

Soi LK Metro

Pattaya City

Nongpruea

Chonburi 20260

Charged me 300 incl of postage

I sent copies of my main passport page, entry stamp and re-entry permit to the address in pattaya, I knew they did it so saved looking around. Hope this helps if you cant find anything closer.

Key Visa Co Ltd

33/11

Soi LK Metro

Pattaya City

Nongpruea

Chonburi 20260

Charged me 300 incl of postage

Thanks for this info, Tafia, I go to Patta,s periodically so I can look them up when I go and maybe get it done when I,m there.

The price is very useful also as a guideline re what they may charge elsewhere.

I,m still making enquiries locally in Udon, and also have yet to try what HL kindly posted also as i,ve got the equiptment at home to experiment with.

marshbags :)