what is this film about,why so special?

well, it is a Cameron movie, for scifi fans a legend.....

we even lost star trek tvseries :)

for a strange coincidence i just watched Surrogates and it was not bad, same basic idea of avatar...

It's not in 3D down here. I'm not going to pay over $200 for a day trip to BKK just to see a movie so I guess I'll miss out on the amazing effects. Crap.

I saw it the first day at 12:40 and there were maybe 10 other people there so I'm glad I didn't pre-book. :)

It's not in 3D down here. I'm not going to pay over $200 for a day trip to BKK just to see a movie so I guess I'll miss out on the amazing effects. Crap.

I saw it the first day at 12:40 and there were maybe 10 other people there so I'm glad I didn't pre-book. :D

Gee, thailand is a no go for movie theaters.....

I was expecting full so did not go.

How is the cost of the ticket?

The movie is 95% incredible special effects and 5% script so on a small screen 95% is lost.

Knowing that Cameron is the best one on scifi, i think that with cgi at todays point even the best gets lost with image and forget story.. :)

Isn't 3 D glasses just 2 different colors?We got some from UBC a while ago for some special shows they were running.

From what I've read this is a new 3D technology and is much superior to what we are used to. It was invented specifically for this film. The film was supposed to "change the way we make movies" but that could just be hype.

Isn't 3 D glasses just 2 different colors?We got some from UBC a while ago for some special shows they were running.

From what I've read this is a new 3D technology and is much superior to what we are used to. It was invented specifically for this film. The film was supposed to "change the way we make movies" but that could just be hype.

I saw it in 3D on Sunday (Chiang Mai) - the 3D is really stunning, the best I have ever seen - it would be a real disapointment to miss out on that - and I guess some scenes may even seem pointless as they are obviously there for the 3D effect - for example at the beginiing the hero wakes up in a capsule filled with other life pods like his one, its in space, so people are pushing off from point to point, floating. Superb in 3d, might be kind of boring in 2D. The film itself isn't as bad as some people are saying - it dfoes have brilliant effects and CGI, but there is a plot and a storyline reminiscent of those old cowboy movies perhaps. Some of the acting is pretty good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it in IMAX 3D and regular flat screen 3D. If you can see it in either of these formats, do. It re-sets the bar for realism in CGI and the 3D is just subtle enough to make the experience quite stunning.

FYI, the glasses are (for the normal screens) Dolby-made phased glasses, while the IMAX ones are similar, but quite simple (but effective).

The story is good and the pacing is as well. But the visuals are awesome.

I rank this as a must-see.

I believe this is the most expensive film ever made, budgeted at 500 million US Dollars. So the CGI and optical effects ought to be superb. I'm glad Cameon didn't fall into the George Lucus / Star Wars trap of great CGI but a wooden story telling!

Unfortunately he has fallen....there is no story, just bad guys trying to kill the savages....

Some of the Star Wars movie have a incredibly complicatedc story comared to the nothing of Avatar.

I remember Cameron at the beginning, The village of the damned, CGI zero, story 100%.

• 3 weeks later...