Starting Our Own Little Veggie Garden

Dear All

I would appreciate advice on what vegetable to plant next to each other. We completed levelling the ground/soil of about 100 square meter, will buy black gardening soil for making rows, secured cow manure from a neighbour and got finely chopped coconut debris. We intend to plant the following:

- Morning Glory

- Flowering Pak Choy

- Chinese Cabbage

- Small Cucumbers

- Parcley

- Spring Onions

- Green Chilli

- Ocra

- Tomatos

- white raddish

- bitter cucumber

- sweet basil and

- string beans.

We just want the above for us to grow/eat without chemicals. I read in the past that some veggies don't thrieve if planted next to each other. How would a clever gardener go about with planting these vegetables next to each other?

Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi wichianburi1

Morning glory or pak boong is water loving and I would recommend planting in a trench lined with plastic ( it's also fairly invasive so this will contain the roots but make sure you harvest the shoots regularly or it will spread like wildfire.

I'd intercrop the toms, basil and chillies as they seem to thrive together. for your curcubits (the cucumber family, try interspersing with the white radish and if you can find seed rat-tailed radish (both brassica family), it should help to keep down cucumber beeetle.

The beans will provide nitrogen but also shade so maybe grow them up a trellis to shade the other brassicas (cabbage, bok choi etc..which may thrive better with an element of shade (should be slower to bolt)

cheers for now J

• 4 weeks later...
 Hi wichianburi1

Morning glory or pak boong is water loving and I would recommend planting in a trench lined with plastic ( it's also fairly invasive so this will contain the roots but make sure you harvest the shoots regularly or it will spread like wildfire.

I'd intercrop the toms, basil and chillies as they seem to thrive together. for your curcubits (the cucumber family, try interspersing with the white radish and if you can find seed rat-tailed radish (both brassica family), it should help to keep down cucumber beeetle.

The beans will provide nitrogen but also shade so maybe grow them up a trellis to shade the other brassicas (cabbage, bok choi etc..which may thrive better with an element of shade (should be slower to bolt)

cheers for now J

Hi Jandtaa,

Many thanks for your informative advice, which I really appreciate. Sorry for the delayed reply but this was my first posting and I still have to master the PC technology better.

By the way, do you know if "compost sticks" are available in gardening shops in LOS and if so what is the best brand name to buy? Thanks.