Thai Govt' Blocks CNN, Yahoo Finance, Facebook And Other American Sites

webfact

Using TT&T Maxnet Premier. My Yahoo is blocked. Facebook & CNN are working fine.

Yahoo works for me, Maxnet Cheep Charly,

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091109 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.5

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure your Earth is grounded and that you are receiving the correct voltage, no way powercuts should lead to that many failures, I must have pulled the power cable out and in 500 odd times on my router (no on/off or reset switch) and its fine.

no clue where in Thailand you live Benji, but in Phuket it is very common and I am not the only one with broken Electric parts after a Powercut.

To make sure the correct voltage like you mentioned is not so easy like it sounds. After a powercut the voltage is much to high wich lead to

the damages.....and i am too lazy to take the plugs out always :)

Try Opera browser -The Norwegians may not always know who to give the Nobel peace prize to but they know how to build an excellent browser. Yes the Swedes give out most of the Nobel awards but the Norsk decide the peace prize.

OPERA is the best and fastest browser, I tried many others but using OPERA since more than 10 years now.

I posted the link for the Download before in this thread and its HERE OPERA 10.1 AGAIN, click for DOWNLOAD its free

Off TOPIC

@alex999

maybe the Norwegians are not that stupid. As far as I know there is no NEW war in the world. Who knows, if they dont give the Nobel to Obama, maybe they

are in Iran already, with this price he think more than twice.

I have CNN and Facebook no problem. with True

LOL.... every time I see you here on Thai Visa, I think (quietly) mmmmmm, he's really good looking....well actually I think something more like.... yummmy! then I realise that your avatar is from Snatch and it's not you!!!! I got FB ok today as well!

that explains it! My 90 Reporting is due this week and I visited the site last night just to get the latest and My NOD32 went ballistic, and immediately flashed up a warning. Thankfully NOD, at my request for immediate action. terminated the offending script.

.... TIT ... :) over 200 warnings, trojans, wurms, ....

anyone here checked out what these, Trojans do?

whats in the script? for which data they search your pc?

no programmers here`?

hard to belive they check on thousands of computers, infos mostly in ENGLISH but cant answer a single EMAL :)

This is anti virus software blocking the sites. It seems likely that the person getting this messages have messed up himself. hat an immigration site is blocked is understandable. Lots of incompetent IT people working for governments allow wholes the size of Bangkok for malware to penetrate.

But there is nothing wrong with my computers I can access all the so called blocked sites from three different ISP's

and............"ditto"

No. The problem was a wrong configuration at the CAT International Internet Gateway which happens to be the largest international internet gateway of Thailand where all the websites redirect to w3.mict.go.th through there. This explains why this happens for only some people but not everyone. CAT is one of the 7 International Internet Gateways of Thailand therefore your connection may go through other IIGs.

True Internet utilizes both the CAT IIG and True IIG.

Maxnet and TOT also utilize both of their own and CAT's.

That explains why it didn't happen to everyone and not every single time you request a website.

Hope this answers some of your doubts.

No. The problem was a wrong configuration at the CAT International Internet Gateway which happens to be the largest international internet gateway of Thailand where all the websites redirect to w3.mict.go.th through there. This explains why this happens for only some people but not everyone. CAT is one of the 7 International Internet Gateways of Thailand therefore your connection may go through other IIGs.

True Internet utilizes both the CAT IIG and True IIG.

Maxnet and TOT also utilize both of their own and CAT's.

That explains why it didn't happen to everyone and not every single time you request a website.

Hope this answers some of your doubts.

So was the thread "Thai government blocks...." inaccurate and alarmist

Make sure your Earth is grounded and that you are receiving the correct voltage, no way powercuts should lead to that many failures, I must have pulled the power cable out and in 500 odd times on my router (no on/off or reset switch) and its fine.

no clue where in Thailand you live Benji, but in Phuket it is very common and I am not the only one with broken Electric parts after a Powercut.

To make sure the correct voltage like you mentioned is not so easy like it sounds. After a powercut the voltage is much to high wich lead to

the damages.....and i am too lazy to take the plugs out always :)

I also live in Phuket and suffer from loads of power cuts but a power cut should not break that much electronic equipment. To make sure of the voltage you simply get a proper electrician to come round, he can plug a gizmo into your recepticle and it will tell you the exact voltage.

I have 4 computers (2 of which always on), wireless and wired networking, loads of lcd and plasma Tv's, projector, multi room sound system etc... and in 2 years I've lost about 5 light bulbs and no equipment. My house is grounded properly though.

What's that crap all about, everything is working far for the next 2 days... no problem with anything, Facebook, CNN are whatever website....

is this a fake article or misinterpreted article causing for confusion???? what the F$#@#@@@!!!!!!!!!!

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION!!!!!

I

:):D

totster :D

I did not see this mentioned in any of the posts, so if it is repetitive, sorry. I was told by a Thai friend that a few months ago Thailand blocked certain objectionable pages on CNN, Facebook, and Yahoo Finance,for an interview (CNN), Facebook (for the person) and CNN for a report. She thought that that was possibly what this was about, although the timing doesn't sound right.

The reality was that a probable misconfiguration caused many pages to cascade down to the mict page. End result, initially at least, was people thought there was some kind of government or ministry led 'blockade'. This was also the day of the release of the 'Thai Spy' from Cambodia and some [initially I wondered about this too] put 2 and 2 together and got 5 :)

Regards

Link to earlier post in thread

Edited by A_Traveller

A non-event if ever I saw one!

Whatever possesses people to post threads on the well-known vagaries of the internet here is beyond me.

I disagree. That a government website is crawling with trojans and script-exploits surely SHOULD be big news.

yes, I don't know about Facebook, CNN or anything else, I don't visit them or have accounts with any of them.

But what I do know is that clicking into the official Thai Immigration Website last week saw my NOD32 Internet Monitor flash up an immediate warning for a dangerous java script execution. NOD32 is very good and very up to date and was telling me this script was known 'malware'. I erminated the running of the script and by doing so was able to still browse the info I was looking for.

Where the danger lies, is that there is a java script Pop Up, about the new government offices in Laksi

when you enter the site so you have what is a 'legal' script executing, followed immediately by another illegal one. Thank god for NOD 32. I wonder how many machines out there have been compromised?

• 4 weeks later...

As of 20:00 tonight I've been unable to access yahoo.com. Site being redirected to w3.mict.go.th . Problem is, It's probably overloaded cause I get a time out. I'm unable to get my e-mails. How many people out there is this affecting ?? No problem with other sites such as CNN facebook or twitter.

browser: firefox, service provider: 3BB

Same problem here. 9.32pm, True Internet in Bangkok.

Yahoo's main page loads up, but click on the link for mail (or enter it directly in address bar) and gets diverted to w3.mict.go.th before turning up a "problem loading page". Facebook seems to work. As does hotmail. Why is yahoo being targeted like this? Just system overload? Why would it redirect to MICT if that were the case?

interesting to put this on a news ticker without checking it. It could have been the Nation they too never check facts.
Given your 3 ISP's comment, I wonder what DNS' are you using on them? Presently I can access cnn, bbc, youtube, however facebook.com is being redirected to w3.mict.go.th on TOT in Bangkok using their DNS service.

Regards

PS By the by I can ping facebook.com 69.63.184.142 fine, but on the same machine I get mict.go.th in browser.

Same thing happened to me when I searched with Opera. But when you search with Google you can log in. I have TT&T.

Edited by bellste