Bringing My Mountain Bike To Thailand

LuckyLucas

I brought one of mine over. Either ask your LBS to pack it for you - about £30 - or get a big box from them and pack it yourself. You will need to remove the wheels, pedals and possibly remove handlebars from the stem - no need to disturb the gear and brake cables. For added protection, get some pipe lagging on your main frame with bubble wrap on stays & forks.

Airline may charge but if it is within your allowance ...

If you are an average size farang, it will be better to get shorts an tops from the UK but there is a good UK site thatsells good. cheap clothing and will arrive in about 3 working days - PM me for details.

I bought a road bike back with me on last return trip to NZ - removed pedals, seat, wheels, turned handlebars, wrapped frame in two layers of big bubble wrap then put a wheel each side and 2 more layers of bubble wrap - this at the suggestion of the very helpful Thai Airlines staff member i emailed. Took pedals/seat in my backpack.

As the total weight of bike and pack was under 25kg allowance cost me nothing extra.

Left Auckland with me, same planes thru to Phuket - perfect!

Don't know where you're headed, but I've been buying clothing as needed here, am 187cm and no probs with my sizes, last cycling jersey cost me 990 baht that's a lot cheaper than NZ prices, don't know how UK compares.

Best wishes for your trip, and happy cycling!

i bought my road bike in a padded bike bag, though a used box from your local cycle shop should suffice. do all the usual prep, taking pedals off etc.

i booked my flight through westeast travel 0844 815 8899, as they are an agent i got 30k baggage allowance (inststead of 20) with thai airways, and at cheaper price than thai's own website. i reccomend them, i have used them a few times.

when i checked in at lhr, my bike was taken as special baggage, when i arrived at chiang mai it was first item on the carousel,so it was n't underneath a ton of cases. i put it back together, all o.k.

hope it all works out, good luck,

jerry.

Just go to any bike shop and ask them for the box, most will give it to u for free, wheels off, seat off, pedals off, handlebars turned and place it in the box.

I used to travel all the time with my bike. Sometimes out of Bangkok and HK heading to Nepal, ( I used to run MTN bile trips in Nepal) we would just roll it up to the counter and let the air out of the tires!!

Yes! Very, very important that you deflate the tires or they will explode in the non-pressurised cargo hold and can cause some damage.

I brought mine over from the US. Had a special hard case that was left over from some offshore instrument shipment and my Montague folded and fitted inside OK. CO charged me a standard $100 which is their policy for bike boxes. Transferred to UA at Narita without incident and all OK on arrival in BKK. However, TG domestic got stingy and asked for 1200 baht for the flight to Udon. Mind you, it was the third item of baggage and the lot was well over 70kg so I didn't gripe.

Edited by NanLaew

interesting the differences in each airline, suggest you check direct with the one you choose to fly with; in my case the TA helpdesk put me in touch with a guy in NZ who was extremely helpful and he sent me their packing tips as detailed earlier, ie bubble wrap not in a box etc - he explained this by saying if it is clear what it is, ie a 'fragile' bicycle, it will not be treated as normal cargo - and same as with another poster here it was one of the very first items off the carousel when i got to Phuket, just had to wait for my pack to come through with the rest of the bags from the hold so bike must have been put in last/on top.

I never gave tyres a thought they were likely at 100psi or thereabouts.

I've packed my mountain bike in a box and traveled several times on China Airlines between Chiang Mai and San Francisco. No extra charge if within the luggage weight allotment. Size doesn't matter in this case. The other posters have given good advise on packing. I would only ad these issues from my experience:

I've always found a cardboard bike shipping box at my local bike shop. In Thailand I have always been charged. In the US they are happy to give them away to avoid disposal.

My bike box has always come out in the oversize luggage area, not on the regular conveyor.

Get a plastic snap-in spacer for the front fork; bike shops have them from original shipping; without the axle in place the fork can get compressed in the luggage handling.

Pack the front wheel on the left of the frame, with the padded left crank at a front, upper 45 degrees, weaved into the space between the spokes.

Leave the rear wheel in place.

Disconnect the handle bar from the stem and turn it sideways, leaving the brake handles and cables attached. I wrap the handle bar in a towel or bubble wrap and just hang it there where it fits.

Turn the fork around 180 degrees to face backwards, this gives you more space to slide the prepped bike into the box.

I disconnect the rear derailler, wrap it up with bubble wrap, and tape it up inside the rear wheel spokes.

I buy a big role of 2 inch wide duct tape and reinforce all the box edges, bottom (for sliding) and especially the corners. I also tape heavily over the points where the axles push out on the box, the widest points, which can take a beating and create holes. I also tape around the hand hold ports, otherwise they get ripped from repeated use.

I take some 2" sports adhesive tape in my carryon, but not duct tape (scared it would be banned) in case they want to open the box for inspection, so I have something to tape it up again.

I pack the seat and all my bike related gear into the box, with towels to supplement padding. I used to pack additional tools and stuff, but last trip they had a new regulation for bike only.

Once you get the bike all prepped outside the box, have a partner hold the box open while you pick the whole thing up and drop it vertically straight down into the box. After a couple of trys you will get this down.

Have the airline check in clerk mark the box as fragile.

Thai Airways once told me to deflate the tires. China Airlines told me that the baggage compartment is pressurized too, as they carry pets and other items that require it. I deflate just in case, but forgot once and expected a disaster, but nothing happened.

I use the same box, just add tape, for two or three times until it gets too beat. Keep it dry and it will last longer.

Transportation to and from the airport has to be considered. A regular taxi or auto can't do it, you need your friend's pickup, SUV or a van taxi.

My bike has never been damaged.

Hope this helps. don

Edited by drtreelove