Technically High Season...but?

maxjay

i have been here over 15 years in the tourist industry i have records for every year, this year is definatly the quitest, it worries me, the tuk tuks are 1 of the main reasons, repeat tourists, which we all need are not fools. the customer is king and soon as the tuktuks etc realise this may be they will start coming back, barka

The only way to confirm that the season is down is personal observation. There are posters that, for whatever reasons - perhaps they are in the tourist trade - will always put on their rose colored glasses.

And yes the rip offs are getting more widely recognised by travel agents from feedback from customers. Tripadvisor are now promoting countries other than thailand because of feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Touri...te-t328140.html

I guess any news agency can find a photo in their archives of a crowded immigration arrivals area. They also can conjure up a story to go along with it...

For those locals that live in Phuket... Whats the story on the street? Hard to find seating at your favorite restaurant? Beaches more crowded? Longer check-out lines at Tesco and Villa? Etc.?

I'm mainly interested in the Chalong/Rawai/Nai Harn area?

Re Patong, it's probably not much of a guide to note the number of room vacancies, given that new hotels are springing up virtually overnight. (80% capacity this year could mean more actual people than 85% last year.) As to the bars, they are also constantly on the rise and it doesn't help with what (to my eye) appears to be a changing demographic over the years (increasing proportion of family travelers). But as has been said time and again; too many hotels, too many bars, too many restaurants, too many clothes stalls and suit shops, too many souvenir/DVD/watch shops, too many tuk tuks AND TOO MANY TOUTS.

But I'd rather that than the way it was 25 years ago (too many stinking open drains, klongs and resultant mozzies).

Just came across this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Touri...te-t328140.html

I guess any news agency can find a photo in their archives of a crowded immigration arrivals area. They also can conjure up a story to go along with it...

For those locals that live in Phuket... Whats the story on the street? Hard to find seating at your favorite restaurant? Beaches more crowded? Longer check-out lines at Tesco and Villa? Etc.?

I'm mainly interested in the Chalong/Rawai/Nai Harn area?

Kata Beach crowded, probably due to many new hotelrooms in Kata. Restaurants usually not full, except for chartercommision restaurants. Some groceries sold out frequently at Carrefour and Villa market