Possible To Add Abs And Electronic Diff Lock After Taking Delivery?

eclipse1

HI All,

I got a Triton Double Cab 4 doors GLS model but it didn't comes with ABS/ESP and also the Electronic Diff. Lock.

I gotten about 10k KM on it since owning it in Sept.

I would like to know if the system can still be fitted if brought back to the factory?

After running on the highway and city area without the ABS on rainy days, I realised its just something I would really pay for now, so sad it wasn't available during purchase.

I do know that the ECU and brake system/Sensor may need to be changed, but if its afforable, I dont mind getting it added. Safety is a bigger concern than $$.

Anyone have any idea, where can it be fitted with the Original system?

Any factory contacts that I can check with?

Thanks

Edited by eclipse1

I would suggest you trade it in for what you want if the bucks don't matter. To much involved, sensors, hardware, etc. to convert. Go to a main dealer, usually someone speaks English, but be warned you can ask for everything and get little actually done and have problems when finished.

Second that.

100k + to change all parts to get proper 4wheel ABS. perhaps double pending on wiring and software

Electronic Diff lock, eh, whats that? electronic traction control applying one ore more brakes when needed, or diff brake/limited slipp or diff lock electrical operated?

My son runs one of those car-shops in Holland where anything can be done to a car, body, chassis, the lot.

He tells me the diff-lock would not be such a big problem, just a case of some parts swapping and installing some electrics/electronics

The ABS/EBD would be very difficult and timeconsuming, involving big changes in the brake system and onboard computer (remapping), installing lots of electronics and more.

The end result would be, even if done by a competent shop & staff, highly expensive and not very trustworthy.

Remapping the computer is the biggest problem.

Not for changing the characteristics of the engine (more power), but the program including the ABS/EBD is not freely available from the factory, and seems unable to upgrade into a working system.

However, going back to the factory might be possible (?????), but even then remember that reserve parts are nearly 50% more expensive to buy.

Thanks!! :D

I'm based in Singapore and the importer of the L200 Triton doesn't have the ABS model in ANY of its range!, Isn't that Bad?!?!

From my reading of the service manual of the L200 Storm/MK, the ABS/ESP system consists of the ABS/EBD pump system(found in the Engine Bay mated to the Brake Pump), the ABS/ESP based ECU, sensors running from the ABS/EBD pump system to the 4 wheels, ABS-model Disc rotor/Drums..

Haven't gone under my truck to see how similar the ML and the MK brake system are, but I do hope that it is possible to pull the whole system out of a totalled L200 from either UK/Thailand/Malaysia(right hand drive models) or have a fresh set installed.

But based on the experience you guys have here, that seems very unlikely.. :D .. maybe I gotta to skip the idea and go slow.. :)

as for the Diff-lock, that seems to be a pretty easier upgrade to do than the ABS/EBD..

its mainly a mechanical item linked by an electronic activator via a button on the driver console.. and its linked to the electronic system to show on the display dash that the rear diff-locked is activated just like the Central Locker, the Super-Select system have.

hope to hear more opinions ..

Edited by eclipse1

• 3 months later...

Time to change car me thinks. Find one with the bits you need and trade. messing about with brakes is giving a toddler a shotgun for christmas. It might feel very clever, but only for a short time... :)