Increase In Work Permit Fees

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

600 still isn't that much, but you gotta love the Thai style increase, not 10% or 20%, but 500% :D

But not good at maths :) - 100 to 600 is in fact a 600% rise

It's *increase* of 500%: 100 + 500% * 100 = 100 + 500/100 * 100 = 600

If you were right, price not being changed would be a 100% increase.

Don't correct others' math if you're clueless.

oh do shut up :D

I have only one question - Where do you get your information from

Some people paying 20,000 + ? who ever pays that is stupid. or don't know anything.

Hey thanks :D

Tell me: How exactly you would deal with this situation?

Last year I endeavored to renew w.p. myself, get to immigration to do my Visa first and low and behold there is a problem, however the problem can be solved if I go and talk to a company who "specialize" in visa and work permits. By a stroke of pure luck the company is owned by the wife of the immigration officer... how lucky am I?

Kerching! 20k later and I knew something: I knew I had gotten screwed.

Thanks for the math, or maths education if you prefer? But can anyone actually give me some useful advice as to how to circumnavigate these parasites? Can I renew my existing wp before my current wp and visa run out or do I have to wait and do the visa first then the wp?

If it is visa first then I guess I am going to be stupid again this year. Maybe I should write a letter of complaint to someone :)

600 still isn't that much, but you gotta love the Thai style increase, not 10% or 20%, but 500% :)

You farang. You rich. You pay.

600B is nothing! Employers have to pay 40000B a year for each Burmese refugee they employ. Admitedly they only pay them a cup of sugar and a bag of rice a day but looks like the Ferrang have it good to me? Don't quote me on that I heard it from a Thai guy!

My wife owns her own business, manages and works it, and pays her sister and sister in law when needed. When I found out 2 yrs ago, that I needed a work permit to assist her, even though I took no income from the business, I made the decision not to lift a finger inside the shop. She was not happy, but understood grudgingly that I refuse to pay to work for free. I remain the domestic engineer. That in itself keeps me out of trouble. Thank the gods I have my own retirement income to contribute to this marriage. I read in other posts that a work permit is required even for volunteer work, be it at a Wat, with the neighbors' personal projects, a school helping students with english, or whatever. With laws like these, the Thai populace, not knowing these laws, wonder why so many farang sit on barstools every day, and the govt employees think we know how to do nothing, or are lazy, living off the lower cost of living here. Go Figure. For the smart a## that questions my paying a rediculous 100 or now 600 baht, the answer is; Its the principle.

Some good points here, particularly the issue about foreigners doing voluntary work. I have given up all volunteering-teaching mainly- because of the idiocy of this rule. Many retirees,gap year students etc. looking to contribute in some way to the host society are unaware of the need to get work permits and the ones that do just carry on helping out . How short sighted that the political elites -and their patrons- fail to see that not all foreigners (farangs) are degenerates and that as guests in Thailand they can ,and do, make a positive contribution , to many sectors of society that the Thai state, fails to reach.

WORKING OF ALIEN ACT,

B.E. 2551 (2008)

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX.

Given on the 13th Day of February B.E. 2551;

Being the 63rd Year of the Present Reign.

Rate of Fees

(1) The permit each 20,000 Baht

(2) Renewal of the permit each time 20,000 Baht

(3) Substitution of the permit each 3,000 Baht

(4) Permission to change or add category of work, employer, working area or work place or

working conditions as permitted each time 5,000 Baht

(5) Levy for hiring of alien other than skilled worker or expert per person 10,000 Baht

(6) Submission of an application each 1,000 Baht

In the enactment of the Ministerial Regulation prescribing fees, the fees to be

prescribed may be different with due regard to nature of work or both nature and

working area of alien.