Using A Mobile Phone For Wi-fi

mommysboy

I'm a complete dead head with latest technology. Thus, I haven't ever got round to buying a mobile phone with wifi capacity.

1 month ago I finally got set up with True broadband connection, with my own wi-fi modem. I also have access to True Move wi-fi.

So can I now just go out and buy a wi-fi enabled mobile phone- is that what I'd ask for? Can anyone suggest a low price end model like I-mobile.?

Supposing I have such a phone and am sitting in my room, how much would it then cost me to access my wi-fi?

Also, what could I do on this net connection? just surf? send emails? Do Ebay messages?

Sorry I did say I was in the dark.

Accessing the internet on a mobile phone does not have anything to do with your wifi connection at home. You can access the internet anywhere you receive a phone signal in Thailand with the proper mobile phone. If you have a laptop & a mobile phone with blue tooth you can access the internet on your laptop via connecting to the internet through your mobile phone. 1 baht a minute with AIS. A bit slow but useable

As for the phone itself when you go to buy the phone ask the staff about a phone (example-Apple IPHONE) that can connect directly to internet/email. I am sure they can assist you in acquiring the proper phone and internet package through AIS, DTAC, TRUE, ORANGE,ECT. As for the cost of phones ,and internet service and speeds available-maybe another poster can help you out

I'd say with a regular small screen phone, you won't be doing much internet wise.

Virtually impossible to surf websites on the tiny screen....

Checking if some important e-mail came through is possible, but replying on it through a regular mobile phone keypad is a PIA.

What can be a useful feature for some, is that most proper wifi capable phones can do VOIP. Meaning for example Skype.

This means that when in range of a wifi point, you can do skype calls (free to other computers, very heap to regular phones).

If you really want to have some more power, you'd have to go PDA, either Windows, Palm, Sybian or Blackberry. Bigger screen, proper keyboard (meaning qwerty) etc. Of course. this would push the price over 10,000 Baht.

And as Capealava mentioned, you actually don'teven need wifi. All mobile phone networks here offer GPRS/EDGE, which works pretty much everywhere. Perfect for e-mails and basic surfing but too slow for the Skype function I mentioned above.

For very casual use 1 Baht/minute, but if needed more it's very easy to buy a package (1 time or monthly), even on pre-paid accounts, bringing the price down to something like between 3 and 7 Baht/hour!

Partial quote from OP:

Supposing I have such a phone and am sitting in my room, how much would it then cost me to access my wi-fi?

If you use the phone to connect via WiFi using your home WiFi modem/router it won't cost you anything.

My son does it all the time at home using our WiFi on his phone.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

the iphone works great with wifi...fun!!!

op

Thanks for the answers.

I guess it's really whether I can do anything meaningful on the phone, such as answering emails, Paypal transfers, and basic browsing.

Looks like one of the bigger phones might suit, but then I may as well just use my mini laptop. Can't really see much point then?

I'll check them over anyway!

It's basically portability which will decide what you want.

A little netbook will do all, but is obviously not as portable as a PDA.

The new PDA's also are perfect for answering e-mails, are very portable (just a little pouch on your belt), but a good one with a keyboard will be much more expensive then a netbook!

htc-touch-pro-diamond.jpg

I'd say with a regular small screen phone, you won't be doing much internet wise.

Virtually impossible to surf websites on the tiny screen....

Checking if some important e-mail came through is possible, but replying on it through a regular mobile phone keypad is a PIA.

What can be a useful feature for some, is that most proper wifi capable phones can do VOIP. Meaning for example Skype.

This means that when in range of a wifi point, you can do skype calls (free to other computers, very heap to regular phones).

If you really want to have some more power, you'd have to go PDA, either Windows, Palm, Sybian or Blackberry. Bigger screen, proper keyboard (meaning qwerty) etc. Of course. this would push the price over 10,000 Baht.

And as Capealava mentioned, you actually don'teven need wifi. All mobile phone networks here offer GPRS/EDGE, which works pretty much everywhere. Perfect for e-mails and basic surfing but too slow for the Skype function I mentioned above.

For very casual use 1 Baht/minute, but if needed more it's very easy to buy a package (1 time or monthly), even on pre-paid accounts, bringing the price down to something like between 3 and 7 Baht/hour!

Is there a 1,2, call prepaid account that will produce 3 to 7 baht per hour?

• 3 weeks later...