Restamping Of Visa

:) Trying to get my head around this but think i was stitched by Bangkok Immi

Here`s the story,but i think i may have come across some answers

Arrived 21 st Sept on Non O Visa ( Expire Nov 18 ) but lost passport

So recieved passport new & needed to restamp visa in it, in Bangkok only (oh by the way chok chai woman presumed i was here for a long time & wanted to see my bank books)

The strange thing is they restamped it from the 21 st Sept to 19 Dec (i thought they would have stamped it for 3mths since i went down there on the 16 th Nov, or just put a non O visa in with my exp date 18 th Nov so i could do a visa run & get 90 days)

So as this turned out to be i think a tourist visa i did my border run & ended up with a lousy 30 days (long trip)

I am married with child so what would be my best options

If you arrived on 21 September with a non immigrant visa, they would have stamped you in for 90 days (till 19 December).

If you lose your passport and get it replaced, the only thing immigration can do is replace the stamp they put in when arriving in Thailand. With the same dates as you got when entering Thailand. They will mark the stamp with the type of your original visa, but it is not a visa.

Immigration cannot replace a visa, as they never issue one, this is done by embassies/consulates which fall under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).

So when you left Thailand and re-entered, you got the 30 day visa free stamp. I assume you did the run by air, as at a land border you would only have gotten 15 days.

Do note that this is not a tourist visa. A tourist visa you apply for at an embassy, and when you enter Thailand you will be given 60 days.

Moving forward, as you are married, you can get a 60 day extension based on that. Bring all relevant paperwork, and your wife, along to immigration and you will get the 60 days at a 1900 Baht fee!

Moving forward, as you are married, you can get a 60 day extension based on that. Bring all relevant paperwork, and your wife, along to immigration and you will get the 60 days at a 1900 Baht fee!

How many consecutive times can you do this?

Edited by Brunus

Thanks Monty

I just did the Loa border run by land, & i will try for that 6 mths if required

But maybe need to go out again to get the ship load of paper for all these copies the thais want :):D

I believe it's just once per entry, but no concrete information.

A land border run receives a 15 day entry - not 30 days. Please check your passport and if stamp is 30 days check with immigration before the first 15 days are up to apply for the 60 day extension of stay - if the stamp is a mistake they could refuse extension after 15 days.

A land border run receives a 15 day entry - not 30 days. Please check your passport and if stamp is 30 days check with immigration before the first 15 days are up to apply for the 60 day extension of stay - if the stamp is a mistake they could refuse extension after 15 days.

And charge you for the 15 days overstay on top!

Looking at passport now & the stamp says new passport replaces old one NON IMM visa admitted 21/09/09 until 19/12/09 so i still can`t see why it`s not 90 days

I even asked him why not 90 days as i mentioned it was a NON O & he said where no have

but as you mentioned i will go to the local office with th wife to check

thanks for the help as we all know thailands response vary throughout

oh yes new stamp 18/12/09/to 16/01/10

Quote:

Looking at passport now & the stamp says new passport replaces old one NON IMM visa admitted 21/09/09 until 19/12/09 so i still can`t see why it`s not 90 days.

End Quote.

I am assuming that you have/had a single entry visa?

The stamp is correct and it did give you 90 days from point of entry.

No I had a multi entry exp on the 18/11/09 in old passport but now reading your reply Lizzy i think they took it upon themselves to restamp it as a 90 day single entry as it was the day befor it expired giving me a 30 day extension from the expiry date & maybe having already had an extension they only gave me 30 days at the border

No, thaiozy, you still got it wrong. As has been explained higher up in this thread the only thing the immigration office could do was to put information about the permission to stay you received when you arrived in Thailand into your new passport.

The multiple-entry non-O visa you got from a Thai consulate is lost for good (just like a banknote would be lost if you had had one in your passport). That’s how it works, I’m afraid.

--

Maestro