Khon Kaen Chaos

Went last Tuesday to the KK office, with my wife,to apply (1st time) for a marriage visa instead of my usual "retired" one.

The place was in chaos,lots of peole trying to get visa extententions and only one officer to process them,she nit picked over every one,average time per application 40 mins +many being sent away.All other staff sat around chatting and doing 90 dayer's.Nobody offered any help to their colleague in fact there was an atmosphere as thick as (clear!) soup hanging about the place..She told alot of irate Thai's she had been sent ftom Bangkok and she was the only one who knew how to do it properly !!

We were second last,sat around whilst she painstakingly checked every thing, only at the end to be presented with a declaration form (which I have never seen before) to sign stating I would comply to all (unspecified) conditions laid on me or I would be told to leave at any time.Also all the forms/photo's etc had to be in duplicate and to come back tomorrow - she was sitting next to a photo copier - My wife knows,slightly, the KK boss lady and although she had to leave early that day told my wife to ring her if any problems,so my wife did and was asked to take the forms back into the office for copying,which my wife did only to be told by the "expert" that she would not copy them because "she was too tired"..!

Back the next day early'ish morning..much better atmosphere..the same (and only) expert but now clearly being observed by a senior officer..again sat around whilst everything checked..all ok..THEN we were presented 2 forms ( 1 each) in Thai only to go away and complete and return again..The forms concerned relationship /personal details which I can understand the need for BUT why wait until everything was checked before handing out ?

Eventualy everything done/ok..I was told by immigration officials at Nong Khai that it takes approx 3 weeks to process the application,my visa expires Jan 8, my passport has been stamped " under consideration" until Feb 8th when I have to return for my new visa - or indeed know if it has been granted.......

.....What a Palaver..!!!!!!!.....Now very much wish I had stuck with the "retired...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think a lot of people fail to understand that when you are sitting in front of an immigration officer and they request something there is very little you can do but comply. Whether they 'should' or 'shouldn't' has very little to do with your immediate situation. The same is true at Embassies.

Best of luck.

I don't know of any Immigration Office that routinely makes the required copies (which is always the case outside of Bangkok for marriage extension). They just do not have a budget for that. And yes there have been several extra forms to fill out (even retirement had two this year). And, as you found out, the marriage is always more involved than retirement.

I don't know of any Immigration Office that routinely makes the required copies (which is always the case outside of Bangkok for marriage extension). They just do not have a budget for that. And yes there have been several extra forms to fill out (even retirement had two this year). And, as you found out, the marriage is always more involved than retirement.

What are the two extra forms now required for retirement extensions?

There are no numbers or downloads - they will be provided for you to fill out - one is a basic rehash of your bio data and that the officer believe you are qualified for extension of stay - used to be done by officer but now given to applicants to fill out. Another was about the 3 month rule.

With ALL the copies of documents, main-page, visa-page, etc, etc that they always asked - I wonder if they even keep any of these copies and where??? It's so environmentally unfriendly don't you think? :D

I remember a couple applying for Visa based on Marriage one time - they were asked to produce a wedding photo - the officer looked at it then told them: This photo is too old - do you have a new one??? :)

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh...... you gotta love Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

As said you can only "go with the flow" or more of a trickle in this case..

Suggest anyone planning anything other than a 90 dayer @ KK should take along a packed lunch and a good book :D .

Incidently my first Thai immigration "initiation" was in Bangkok when I had the misfortune of meeting a dynamic duo of the rudest women I have ever met (ever) followed by the most unhelpful one..after that everything is UP ! :) ...

• 1 month later...