"o-a" Visa: 800,000 Baht In Thai Bank Or Investment?

For a 12 month extension based on Retirement the money has to be in a Thai Bank. Usually a savings account but fixed income account is usually accepted.

The money has to be readily available. 800,000 Baht OR 65,000 Baht monthly income. OR a combination of both.

As said a Non O-A Visa is applied for in your own country and the money has to be in your home account. Medical and Police Report needed for this.

For consideration as well that the COMBINATION of income and bank can vary from office to office. I have found more often they are looking for income in combination with bank account to equal one million baht i.e. 40K baht per month = 480K salary/income. This would mean the need for a bank account with funds on hand of at least 520K baht. Those funds must be on deposit 90 days prior to application for the retirement extension. I also understand this has been lessened to 60 days for the initial application.

Retirement is 800k in bank account 2 months (first application) or 65k income or combination to meet the 800k requirement - it does not change from office to office and is clearly defined in Police Order 777/2551.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NB : not only did i need to show in my bank book an THB800K balance and produce a letter from my bank manager confirming this, i was told by the officer that the 800K should have been in my acc't for at least 3 months prior to my application. (it hadn't been, of course; but this minor obstacle was overcome with some cash moolah to the officer, so i'm unsure if this is a hard and fast rule, or simply a convenient local interpretation to extort a bit of cashola). either way, i was very happy to get my one-yr extension on the spot. other docs required : 2 p/p size photos, proof of residence/home ownership, photo copies of your bank book, and several pages of your passport. all in all, quite straight forward and relatively easy, when compared to the demands that some other countries place on foreign residents.

If first extension of stay for retirement the period should be 2 months - after that it is 3 months.

I am pretty sure in the US for the O-A you need to show funds (income, banked, or combo), typically in the US funds.

I was under the impression that as a US citizen you can go along to the US consulate and make a sworn statement to an income of 800,000bht without any financial checks at all for a retirement Visa .... has this stopped? It still worked 2 months ago.

Your information is completely incorrect. You should really let lopburi3 and the other knowledgeable moderators provide the correct information so as not to confuse others.

Actually the information is correct for a one year extension of stay in Thailand for retirement, (it is not called an OA visa); except for the amount - it is a 65k per month requirement your Embassy letter has to meet (if not used in combination with a bank account).

I am pretty sure in the US for the O-A you need to show funds (income, banked, or combo), typically in the US funds.

I was under the impression that as a US citizen you can go along to the US consulate and make a sworn statement to an income of 800,000bht without any financial checks at all for a retirement Visa .... has this stopped? It still worked 2 months ago.

NOT 800,000! - 65,000! - 800,000 in the bank in the bank in the bank. NOT INCOME PER MONTH

65,000 income per month 65,000 PER MONTH PER MONTH PER MONTH

"income of 800,000" Jesus Christ)

Your information is completely incorrect. You should really let lopburi3 and the other knowledgeable moderators provide the correct information so as not to confuse others.

Actually the information is correct for a one year extension of stay in Thailand for retirement, (it is not called an OA visa); except for the amount - it is a 65k per month requirement your Embassy letter has to meet (if not used in combination with a bank account).

lop, since he was responding to Jingthing's post regarding the O-A visa issued in the USA, I meant that one can not walk into the Thai Consulate in the USA and make a statement as to the availability of funds without providing some proof.

I seem to remember a clause about Investment in the government,

in organisations like the Goverment Housing Bank and the Government Savings Bank,

but I doubt that the account mentioned by the OP will be suitable.

• 3 months later...