My Wife's Chances For A Us Tourist Visa

I've been looking through the related threads in this section of the forum, and it seems that approval for a US tourist visa can be quite arbitrary.

I would like to outline the relevant info related to my wife's application, and would be interested to know what you think her chances are. Of course I realize that there is only one way to find out, but we would appreciate the opinions of the members here.

Marital Status: Married to an American citizen for 3 years. I also work and live in Thailand, and am currently on a 2 year contract.

Employment: Working at a govt. university....earning about 25K...but only in this job for 6 months.

Education: Master's degree.

Previous visas to other countries: Received a two week Schengen tourist visa, 2 week Irish visa, and a one year visa to live in Korea (no overstays on any visas).

Assets: No real assets in her name to speak of, but I could transfer our car into her name if it would help.

Again, I know that we'll have to apply to get an answer, this is more about getting a feeling for our chances.

Thanks.

Personally I thank she has an excellent chance. You say up country? I would recommend that you use the US Consular in Chiang Mai and that you use a visa service such as Star Visa just down the street from the US Consular. I have used them and had excellent service. They only charged 6000 baht, 4000 to the US and 2000 for their service. Wish you and the wife all the best. :)

Personally I thank she has an excellent chance.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you're right!

You say up country? I would recommend that you use the US Consular in Chiang Mai and that you use a visa service such as Star Visa just down the street from the US Consular. I have used them and had excellent service. They only charged 6000 baht, 4000 to the US and 2000 for their service. Wish you and the wife all the best. :)

We're now located in the South.

Is there any reason to believe that a visa service would improve her chances? She's fairly meticulous, so I can't imagine she would make any mistakes or omissions, but will certainly consider using one if it's considered beneficial.

By the way, do you think we should transfer the car into her name to improve her chances? Or would the recent transfer put up a red flag to the people reviewing her application?

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Personally I thank she has an excellent chance.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you're right!

You say up country? I would recommend that you use the US Consular in Chiang Mai and that you use a visa service such as Star Visa just down the street from the US Consular. I have used them and had excellent service. They only charged 6000 baht, 4000 to the US and 2000 for their service. Wish you and the wife all the best. :D

We're now located in the South.

Is there any reason to believe that a visa service would improve her chances? She's fairly meticulous, so I can't imagine she would make any mistakes or omissions, but will certainly consider using one if it's considered beneficial.

By the way, do you think we should transfer the car into her name to improve her chances? Or would the recent transfer put up a red flag to the people reviewing her application?

Just for your information that same fee in the north I understand is about 60,000 baht in the south :)

She needs to show some kind of property in her name and a bank account (no set amount) of money coming and going. They will also look at your finical back ground. Remember they are looking for reasons for her returning to Thailand.

Agree your chances are excellent.

No reason to use a visa agent.

You should document why you will return, as well as her (2yr contract, etc.)

Don't agree that she need have property. As for bank accounts, I would show yours as well, joint, etc.

Make a compelling reason for both your returns, and you should be okay.

Good Luck

My advice would be to save the money and complete the application yourself. It's all done on-line and not that complicated. If you pay someone to do it you are going to have to give them the info anyway so why not go online and type it in yourself?

From the info provided I think you (rather your wife) has a pretty good chance at getting the visa. Good luck.

Application is simple and her chances are great if you don't make one of those simple mistakes such as forgetting that the wife used a different name when she was younger and changed it. This happens a lot with Thais, they do not like their name and it is easy for them to change it. Shows up on a computer check and deception is concluded. Otherwise, it should be a quite simple process. The name change is just a simple example of the kinds of things that come up. If the wife understands that the answers have to be exact and glossing over any of them as unimportant is a mistake. Answer factually and it is a very quick and simple process.

I'm not sure about all the posts stating you (your wife) has an "excellent" chance of approval. The Consular might look at this situation as you taking the "easy" way out to get her to the U.S.

Consular might ask, why don't you go thru the legal steps to get your wife to the US permanentlly and apply for a green card. This procedure takes a bit longer and of course more paperwork. Sure, you have married for 3yrs and living in Thailand, but that's not saying you both will go to the US and "return" to Thailand to live.

I would say only a 50/50 chance, depending on the mood of the Consular.

I do agree however, that you do not need to use a lawyer or visa services. They cannot pull any ropes when it comes to getting approval or not. They just make sure all the paperwork is correct and in order. And they can get it done quickly (the paperwork).

Good Luck.

I'm not sure about all the posts stating you (your wife) has an "excellent" chance of approval. The Consular might look at this situation as you taking the "easy" way out to get her to the U.S.

Consular might ask, why don't you go thru the legal steps to get your wife to the US permanentlly and apply for a green card. This procedure takes a bit longer and of course more paperwork. Sure, you have married for 3yrs and living in Thailand, but that's not saying you both will go to the US and "return" to Thailand to live.

I do agree however, that you do not need to use a lawyer or visa services. They cannot pull any ropes when it comes to getting approval or not. They just make sure all the paperwork is correct and in order. And they can get it done quickly (the paperwork).

Good Luck.

Jimmy

Consular might ask, why don't you go thru the legal steps to get your wife to the US permanentlly and apply for a green card."

A good reply to this Q is that I/we do NOT want a green card at this time because:

-- it would sort of commit us to live in the U.S. at least more than 6 months a year and that isn't what we want do do;

-- if in Thailand with a green card, need to return to the U.S. at least once a year to keep it "alive"

-- and, if having a green card, and even keeping it "alive," but mostly living in Thailand, the U.S. ICE (former INS) folks at Port of Entry are liable to cancel it anyway because we're not showing that we're proper PRAs, Permanent Resident Aliens.

Probably come up with more reasons for not applying for IV status and much preferring a Tourist Visa, but these might help.

Mac

If you really want to make sure she gets the visa, and you have the money, I highly recommend you try to take her on holiday to another commonwealth country (uk,canada, NZ, Oz) before you apply for the US tourist visa in March. My partner had no assets and no education besides said travel record and got a 10 year multiple entry visa very easily. I think a travel record is more important than people realize. Korea is no good, as it's obviously visa free for Thais.

I think a travel record is more important than people realize.

I think it's important too.

Unfortunately, we don't have time for a trip to a Commonwealth country before March, but as I stated in the OP, she did receive Schengen and Irish visas in the last couple of years; and did not overstay.

You don't have to actually go to the country, just apply at their embassies in bkk and get a couple of visas, that's what we did with NZ. It's not hard and you have the time, I think it could really help if you're worried about it.

The fact she has have been married for three years and her husband works here should be all that is required. Do not believe she will have any problem getting a tourist visa. She should be aware of the tourist (family meetings or whatever) and able to point out she lives here and current plans are to continue that life.

You don't have to actually go to the country, just apply at their embassies in bkk and get a couple of visas, that's what we did with NZ. It's not hard and you have the time, I think it could really help if you're worried about it.

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about the US visa process and rules; however I don't really see the point in applying for visas to other countries and not using them.

As far as the UK is concerned previous travel out of Thailand can be beneficial in borderline cases in as much as it may swing the balance; but that's it. If a UK ECO had reason to believe that a Thai spouse of a UK citizen was attempting to use a UK visit visa to obtain entry into the UK for settlement purposes then having, for example, an Australian visa in their passport would do little to dissuade them; especially if it was never used.

I can't see the US being any different.

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about the US visa process and rules; however I don't really see the point in applying for visas to other countries and not using them.

As far as the UK is concerned previous travel out of Thailand can be beneficial in borderline cases in as much as it may swing the balance; but that's it. If a UK ECO had reason to believe that a Thai spouse of a UK citizen was attempting to use a UK visit visa to obtain entry into the UK for settlement purposes then having, for example, an Australian visa in their passport would do little to dissuade them; especially if it was never used.

I can't see the US being any different.

Acquiring a visa from another developed, Commonwealth country is very positive because it means the applicant met the standard for return at a similarly strict embassy. These visas in fact were the only positive attribute my partner's application had, since she had no job, no education, and little money in the bank. The US officer granted her the visa almost immediately, so I would definitely say other visas, even unused, are VERY important. These are the sorts of tips that should be included in a pinned topic BTW.

Edited by Svenn

Acquiring a visa from another developed, Commonwealth country is very positive because it means the applicant met the standard for return at a similarly strict embassy.

If, as you say, the standard for return is similarly strict as it is for the US, then if they meet the standard for one then they will meet the standard for the other.

I am not saying that an applicant's previous travel history does not play some part in the decision, see my post above, just that applying for a visa you never intend to use is, in my view, pointless; and if that application should be refused, how's that going to look when the applicant makes their US application!?

You have given your opinion, I have given mine; it is up to those who read both to decide which course to follow.

BTW, you have again referred to other Commonwealth countries. The USA is not, and never has been, a Commonwealth country.

These are the sorts of tips that should be included in a pinned topic BTW.

When you brought up the subject of a pinned topic before I suggested that you may care to write it. Other than the above comment this suggestion has been met with silence from you.

I am not saying that an applicant's previous travel history does not play some part in the decision, see my post above, just that applying for a visa you never intend to use is, in my view, pointless; and if that application should be refused, how's that going to look when the applicant makes their US application!?

An applicant for the US tourist visa doesn't have to reveal what countries they've been refused from, not that the embassy would even check.

7b7, I'm sure we all appreciate your input but you've demonstrated a limited knowledge on this subject, so for the benefit of the OP and other readers, you might want to take your contrarianism and combative posting to a UK-related thread.

BTW, you have again referred to other Commonwealth countries. The USA is not, and never has been, a Commonwealth country.

Jeez, woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? :) First off I never said the US was a commonwealth country, second off, the U.S. was indeed part of the Commonwealth for 200 years before we gained independence!! Moreover, the commonwealth refers to countries practicing the Common Law of England, which again does indeed include the U.S.

When you brought up the subject of a pinned topic before I suggested that you may care to write it. Other than the above comment this suggestion has been met with silence from you.

I'm not going to write one because you have demonstrated nothing but hostility to my initial suggestion, for no apparent reason from which I can gather.

I'm taking my moderator's hat off for this post.

Svenn, as I said before, you have given your opinion, I have given mine; it is up to those who read both to decide which course to follow. So comments like "you might want to take your contrarianism and combative posting to a UK-related thread" are totally unfounded. People will disagree with you, that's life, live with it.

"First off I never said the US was a commonwealth country"

You said "If you really want to make sure she gets the visa, and you have the money, I highly recommend you try to take her on holiday to another commonwealth country" (My emphasis).

"second off, the U.S. was indeed part of the Commonwealth for 200 years before we gained independence!!"

The first use of term "Commonwealth" to describe the British Empire was in 1884, but it was not actually formed until 1931. Did not the US gain it's Independence in 1776?

"Moreover, the commonwealth refers to countries practicing the Common Law of England, which again does indeed include the U.S."

It is true that the US legal system is somewhat based upon English common law; but that has nothing to do with the formation or membership of the Commonwealth.

"I'm not going to write one (pinned topic) because you have demonstrated nothing but hostility to my initial suggestion, for no apparent reason from which I can gather."

You first broached the subject here my response was "If you are able to write such an outline then I will consider pinning it. However, as I know next to nothing about US immigration I'm sure you will appreciate that I would want to have it checked by someone more knowledgeable than I before doing so."

If you regard that as hostility, you must be very thin skinned indeed!

Moderators hat back on again.

This conversation is going way off topic, so no more from either person.

• 1 month later...

Good Luck.

The marriage visa wait is more than "a bit longer". Average wait is 18 months +. A marriage visa is generally intended to be a "residence" visa and is not practical for trips in & out of the country, until she were to get permanent resident status. If you so not plan to reside in USA in the near future, such a visa (marriage) will not serve your needs.

Maybe the fact that she is married to a U.S. citizen might make some difference. How old is she? Little money in the bank? Not good. I know if she were young and single - next to impossible.

OP did your wife get her Visa? It should be a cut and dry process. My circumstances are almost identical to yours except that my wife never had a stamp in her visa, is 29 years old and was just approved for 10 years.

Money in the bank???? This was not even a remote issue since my wife furnished them with 4 bank books plus my personal financial statements (that did not add up to <deleted> combined, mind you) and the IO did not even look at them. Being married to a US citizen makes all the difference. As I stated in another post the human factor plays heavy in the approval. Showing a paper trail is a big help too.

Edited by mizzi39

• 1 month later...
OP did your wife get her Visa?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, she did get the visa.

Actually, I have a few questions about the type of visa she received.

On the visa is states

Type of Visa: R B1/B2

Entries: Multiple

Expiration Date 15 March 2020

Does this mean she was given a ten year multiple entry visa? And can she now travel to the US for the next ten years without applying for another visa?

If so, what will happen when her passport expires about 2 years from now?

Edited by up-country_sinclair

OP did your wife get her Visa?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, she did get the visa.

Actually, I have a few questions about the type of visa she received.

On the visa is states

Type of Visa: R B1/B2

Entries: Multiple

Expiration Date 15 March 2020

Does this mean she was given a ten year multiple entry visa? And can she now travel to the US for the next ten years without applying for another visa?

If so, what will happen when her passport expires about 2 years from now?

Correct and congratulations. Yes, a 10-year multiple come and go pretty much as she pleases.

When her passport expires she'll get a new one, then just carry BOTH passports with her to show the airline on departure from Thailand and BOTH passports to show U.S. Immigration. They're all used to this and my wife has been this route several times, NOT A PROBLEM.

Mac

Which visa did you apply for?

Where?

I have recently heard that the non-immigrant visa must be applied for at the Homeland Security office in Bangkok across the street from the Consulate.

Just wondering where you went and what exactly you applied for.

I am going to be in the same boat soon.

Thanks