My Wife's Chances For A Us Tourist Visa

Which visa did you apply for?

Where?

I have recently heard that the non-immigrant visa must be applied for at the Homeland Security office in Bangkok across the street from the Consulate.

Just wondering where you went and what exactly you applied for.

I am going to be in the same boat soon.

Thanks

Nope, NIVs (Non Immigrant Visas) are a State Department Consular function. Remember, tho, having a visa does not necessarily guarantee entry to the US. That's a U.S. Immigration function, USCIS, part of DHS.

IVs (Immigrant Visas) are normally filed IN THE USA by mail with USCIS. It can be a long process before the hopefully approved petition arrives at the U.S. Embassy on Wireless for Consular interview. The Bangkok DHS/CIS office has nothing to do with this process.

However, there is an exception for a petitioner who has lived in Thailand for a year or more to file an IV petition locally with DHS/CIS on Wireless.

So, NIVs go to the Embassy Consular Section. Process described here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/visas.html

Mac

I am glad that the OP finally got this situation sorted and, your wife received the visa Congrats. !!! :) Mizzi.

Like "Mac" stated her visa is good for 10 years. When her passport expires she will have to carry the two. my wife will be using hers for the first time in April. I think that they will stamp her in for 6 months which is plenty since we are only going for 3 weeks. it is nice that we can at least make a visit once a year.

Edited by mizzi39

It's a slam dunk for you. I see no problems at all. Make your appointment, tell the truth on all questions and be forthright. Recent experience confirms our embassy uses common sense and issues visas in cases similar to yours. Two recent cases known to me. Forget the property and the vehicle transfer. it would be obvious your intentions due to dates. Most of the stories you hear are all bull about jobs, money in the bank, property , etc.

It's a slam dunk for you. I see no problems at all. Make your appointment, tell the truth on all questions and be forthright. Recent experience confirms our embassy uses common sense and issues visas in cases similar to yours. Two recent cases known to me. Forget the property and the vehicle transfer. it would be obvious your intentions due to dates. Most of the stories you hear are all bull about jobs, money in the bank, property , etc.

Not necessarily for the OP case but they do take into consideration, jobs, money in bank and property. These are reason to return. :)

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary comment removed.

^^^^^^^

^^^^

^

Thanks.

My wife told me that they only asked her a few questions--a couple about our marriage ( where did we meet, how long have we been married?), and what was the purpose of the trip.

BTW, from what she told me, they were most interested in the letter from her employer. In fact, she was a little upset that they didn't even look at all of the documentation that she had spent so much time collecting (bank books, hotel and plane reservations, marriage certificate, etc...)

But she got over that quickly when her passport and visa showed up in the mail. :)