Used Books In Bangkok

Capealava

There is a used bookstore near the Phrom Phong BTS station, exit opposite Emporium, near the Villa Market. There is also another used bookstore called Dasa which appears to be larger, however I have never been there.

I ordered a camera from Amazon, it arrived within 2 days! I spent a fortune on shipping, about 35 USD if I remember correctly. They charged me duties as I paid for the camera online, and when it arrived I didn't have to pay extra. I was shocked!

Unfortunately Thai customs is infamously corrupt, so I would recommend having anything sent through DHL or FedEx or EMS, anything that can be tracked. I have noticed that things runs a lot smooth, and nothing has ever gotten "lost in the mail" when I used them.

Good luck!

DASA, between Sukhumvit 26 & 28 (Phrom Phung) is well stocked and organized. Titles are on a computer database so they can tell you if they have a specific book you are seeking. Most paperbacke are in the B150 range. There are several other used bookstores in the Phrom Phung area.

There is a large book outlet, both used and remaindered titles in the AMARIN PLAZA shopping mall (4th or 5th floor, front.) between Chit Lom and Central World, accessible from the overhead walkway. They have a large inventory and often have a "by the kilo" promotion. Books are NOT organized by title or author so finding a specific title is not easy.

There is a vendor every day at the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi-4 (Nana) who usually has about 100 books, mostly highly popular authors; Grisham, Koonts, Clancy, ect. B100/book

Many book vendors at Chatuchak Weekend Market. If you take the MRT (Subway), get off at Khamphang Phet station. When you get above ground, turn left and most are on the left. Asking prices are high but they will bargain down, especially if you are buying several.

Amazon.com has an excellent reputation for shipping to Thailand. Anywhere actually (I've been buying from amazon.com ever since they were available in SE Asia). If your book/item does not arrive, they will ship another.

Depending on price and how you want your book shipped, you will find yourself paying half the price or more of the book for shipping. Two day shipping gets crazy. Five to seven(ish) - Standard International - is what I use.

From just one order this year, I paid GBP 26.84 for two books + GBP 9.23 for shipping.

A US$15 book can run you US$9 shipping - common sense, check the weight of the book and multiply that by urgency.

Note: I buy from the US (.com) when in Thailand because it is usually cheaper than the UK for the same items.

several same postings (but more aimed at selling used books) were on this forum recently-that old word; SEARCH.

the other main cluster of used-books shops/places ir-who would expect otherwise-around the backpack ghetto of KhaoSarn road. Travelguides sell very well, the rest is often standing for years. Several shops have also computer-inventory, like Shaman on that orad (in the new high-sore hotel Daern Deung or so).

If you really aim at getting a crateful of books to read-you might even think of going to ChiangMai-as it seems there is where all those books end up. Various very big and fairly well organised shops.

I would give anything coming from DHL a miss unless in Bangkok..They have no distribution network and every item magically attracts customs charges and add on fees.from bitter experience you get a phone call " your package has arrived and the customs duty is "ABOUT" 2,000 Bhart (whatever) please send us the money" this will bear no relationship to the actual duty and they will not provide a customs reciept - surprise.....back to the books ,unless you want well thumbed pot boilers I would suggest a troll thru ebay UK and Oz,I buy a fair bit of nearly new paperbacks for circa 600 bhart inc'l airmail.